Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Question Shader not working once multiple clients connect to a multiplayer room

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by NachoDevelopments, Aug 31, 2020.

1. NachoDevelopments

NachoDevelopments

Here is what is happening, I have a sprite renderer component on a prefab that has a material created from a custom shader, which you can see here:

Code (Boo):
    1. Shader "Unlit/PixelOposite"
    2. {
    3.     Properties
    4.     {
    5.         _MainTex ("MainTexture", 2D) = "white" {}
    6.         _Color ("Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)
    7.     }
    9.     SubShader
    10.     {
    11.         Tags { "Queue"="Transparent" }
    12.         Lighting Off Cull Off ZWrite Off Fog { Mode Off }
    14.         Pass
    15.         {
    16.             Color [_Color]
    17.             AlphaTest Greater 0.5
    18.             Blend SrcColor DstColor
    19.             BlendOp Sub
    20.             SetTexture [_MainTex] { combine previous, texture * primary }
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }

Nothing fancy, just inverting colors based on the background.

When I instantiate this prefab while connecting to a multiplayer room with just one client (therefor I am the host), I can instantiate this prefab without problems. But, the moment I join the room with another instance of the game, so a new client joins the room, the sprite stops being rendered (The GameObject is still there, since it is shown in the scene hierarchy, an all components look ok). If I connect at the exact same time that the sprite is being rendered (this prefab is something that is instantiated at will and destroyed a few seconds after, so I doesn't have to be there when other players connect) it will work fine every time I instantiate it. So:

First client connects -> Instantiates GO -> Renders fine

First client connects -> Instantiates GO -> Second client connects -> GO is destroyed -> Any of them Instantiates GO -> Renders fine

First client connects -> Second client connects -> Any of them Instantiates GO -> Does not render correctly

Some notes about the prefab that may help:
    • It has an animator
    • The object is not synced over the network because is just relevant for the user instantiating it, so I just call Instantiate(...), but no NetworkServer.Spawn(...)

Now, after a lot of debugging and thinking it was some sort of weird sync error on my end (since I am not very experienced with unet) I acctually found the error was the material/shader, since I can change it to a Sprites/Default and it will render fine (but I need to have that shader material).

Any idea why this happens?

Unity version: 2019.4.8f1 LTS
    I am using the Lightweight RP

If any additional info is required don't hesitate to ask! Thank you.

Nacho.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020