Search Unity

Question Shader math to cull part of mesh

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by ProtagonistKun, Dec 3, 2019.

1. ProtagonistKun

ProtagonistKun

Hello,

I am trying to refresh my math knowledge since I have not done my vectors for a while and have run into trouble trying to make this shader work.

What I would like to do is create a material (shader) that culls part of a mesh (think of it as if you are pulling something out of a portal and it is slowly appearing on one side of it). A plane (any location, any orientation) can be placed over an object and it will clip one side of the mesh.

However, as I have it now, nothing is happening... the shader gets applied to a cube and there is an intersecting plane, but everything is still being rendered. Does anyone have an idea as to where I am going wrong with this shader to achieve the effect I am looking for? I remember finding a similar shader (regular HLSL) but I wanted to try and make it with shadergraph, resulting in a few headaches... I assume my vector logic is wrong, but I can't seem to find the solution.

The Shadergraph is as follows:
    Unity_2019-12-03_23-36-45.png
    It has a script attached to it like this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    3. [ExecuteInEditMode]
    4. public class PortalPullProperties : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     [SerializeField] private GameObject _clippingPlane = null;
    7.     [SerializeField] private Vector3 _rotationOffset = new Vector3(0, 90, 0);
    9.     private Material _material = null;
    10.     private MeshRenderer _renderer = null;
    12.     public GameObject ClippingPlane { get => _clippingPlane; }
    14.     private void Start()
    15.     {
    16.         _renderer = gameObject.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    17.         _material = _renderer.sharedMaterial;
    18.     }
    20.     void Update()
    21.     {
    22.         if((_clippingPlane && _clippingPlane.transform.hasChanged) || transform.hasChanged)
    23.         {
    24.             Vector3 position = _clippingPlane.transform.position;
    25.             Vector3 rotation = _clippingPlane.transform.forward + _rotationOffset;
    27.             _material.SetVector("_ClippingPlanePosition", new Vector4(position.x, position.y, position.z));
    28.             _material.SetVector("_ClippingPlaneOrientation", new Vector4(rotation.x, rotation.y, rotation.z));
    29.         }
    30.     }
    32.     private void Reset()
    33.     {
    34.         this.GetComponent<MeshRenderer>().material = new Material(Shader.Find("Shader Graphs/PortalPull"));
    35.     }
    36. }

2. teutonicus

teutonicus

Your math looks right, you should just need to plug your dot product result straight into the Master node's Alpha input. Alpha Clip Threshold would then be 0 to cull everything behind your plane.

3. ProtagonistKun

ProtagonistKun

Seems like that was not the only thing going wrong with my shader. The result looks like this. Which is still not doing anything sadly... I wonder what is going wrong, given that you are telling me my math is correct I am pretty much at a loss.
    upload_2019-12-4_8-21-1.png
    upload_2019-12-4_8-23-39.png

Last edited: Dec 4, 2019