Search Unity

Shader-independent glow

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by CatsPawGames, Jan 13, 2017.

1. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Shader-independent glow provides a simple way to add per-object glow(bloom) to your project without using third-party shaders.

This comes in handy when you already use shaders with additional functionality and you need to add glow on top of that.

Asset store link

Features:
    • Glow maps support.
    • Several options for fine-tuning glow look.
    • Per-object and per-material glow options.
    • Optional negative(substractive) glow
    • Works on forward and deferred rendering pipelines, perspective and orthogonal cameras, gamma and linear colorspaces.
    • VR support (deferred rendering only)
    • Completely shader-independent (glow is enabled by separate components, without touching your materials).
    Please read manual chapter on layer optimization to avoid unnecessary performance drops.

Manual

Note that this product was created mainly with desktops in mind. It will work on mobile platforms, but additional drawcalls and blit calls it incurs means that you will be limited in amount of glowing objects due to performance considerations.

Image1.png

Image2.png

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    theANMATOR2b likes this.
  2. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Version 1.1 with compatibility fixes for mobile (Unity 5.5 broke mobile functionality of SIG, this version fixes that) and linear colorspace improvements is currently awaiting review by Asset Store team, should be available in about 7 days.

3. MatMontre

MatMontre

Hello CatsPawGames,

I bought the package because of the nice reviews and indeed it works pretty well on desktop.
    I'm having trouble making it work on mobile though.
    I keep having this weird pink overlay...

I can't find any clue as to why this is happening.
    (I updated to 1.1 and I tried deferred and forward, with and without HDR, with Metal or not, but no luck)
    Any suggestions?

Attached Files:

4. MatMontre

MatMontre

Btw I'm on 5.5.0f3

5. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

If anyone else is having this problem, please contact me through my support email (available in publisher profile on Asset Store).

6. artistguy69

artistguy69

I've got an issue I'm hoping you can help with. Love the glows, but it seems to be switching the view to 16 bit when the camera script is active. I see banding and crushing of the blacks. But, if I disable the script, then everything looks nice and smooth... but I don't get the really nice glows :(

Gray_Example.jpg Red_Example.jpg I am attaching a couple example screen grabs to show you what we are are encountering.

7. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Thanks for the examples, I'll look into it and get back to you. Can you also tell what colorspace and graphics API you're using?

Edit: Found the culprit, changes in recent version regarding Linear colorspace caused that behavior. Fix will be available on Asset Store in about 1-2 weeks(average review period by AS team), but if you need it immediately please send your invoice # to support email and I'll send you updated script.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  8. artistguy69

artistguy69

Great thank you. I will email you my info this weekend.

9. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Fix is already available on Asset Store, so you can just download current version from there.

10. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Hello @CatsPawGames

i'm interested in the asset, how would the performance be on a 2d game on desktop machine with around 50-60 objects glowing?

11. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello. Desktop would be no problem with that amount of objects. Mobile is another story.

Oshigawa likes this.
  12. Oshigawa

Oshigawa

Great, thank you, i'm off to the store :)

13. hotshot03

hotshot03

I'm trying to make visuals like Pin Out

Would I be able to achieve the same performance in mobile like this game ?

14. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

There aren't that many glowing objects in your example, if you'll be smart about combining your meshes, so it should work fine performance-wise. Although I saw some animated glow (arrows), which could pose a problem if you aren't comfortable with modifying textures on the fly through scripts.

15. Wilbert-Blom

Wilbert-Blom

How do you use this for the Vive while using the SteamVR plugin ?
    I can't get it to work.

16. SirRiggsDiehard

SirRiggsDiehard

Hi! I'm interested in your asset. But I need it for a large number of objects in a desktop game. Something around 150.

Can it perform well in this case?

Thanks!

17. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello. 150 objects is doable on desktop. And I have two weeks no-questions-asked refund period, so, if you encounter some problems performance-wise, you can always request full refund.

theANMATOR2b likes this.
  18. De-Blasio-Corporation

De-Blasio-Corporation

hi, your pack work fine on my Mac, but not work with iPhone X, I don't know why. I use the default settings.
    Thanks

19. nikunjk21

nikunjk21

Hi @CatsPawGames,

I'm working on fast paced racing game like wipe out, Antigraviator.
    As this game will be targeted on mobile devices, I have question that is this asset work smoothly on mobile platforms - Android & iOS?

20. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello. It works on mobile platforms, but I wouldn't recommend it if you have lots of glowing objects - it can have impact on performance. It's especially critical if you have fast-pased gameplay, so I'd recommend looking for performance-oriented shader-based solution.

21. De-Blasio-Corporation

De-Blasio-Corporation

how can i set it for my mobile game? it not work fine on my iPhone X, but i don't know why. I just use it in other project and it worked good.

22. Davide04

Davide04

Hi @CatsPawGames
    how can i set it for my mobile game? it not work fine on my iPhone X, but i don't know why. I just use it in other project and it worked good.

23. Larzarus

Larzarus

Does this asset still work with newer versions of Unity, such as 2018.3 ?

24. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Yes, latest version it was tested on is 2018.3.7.

Larzarus likes this.
  25. De-Blasio-Corporation

De-Blasio-Corporation

hi guys, how can i fix this? it works fine on my desktop but not work on my mobile

Attached Files:

26. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

I would like to say that I love this asset and use it often. I am now having an issue trying to dynamically change the glow tint. It looks like you are serializing the different materials on an object where pGlowTint is set to white by default. I know this is a result of a lock of programing skill on my part but how can I access the pGlowTint Var from another script to set the Color-pGLow variable.
    I usually hook into the external script with MyVariable= GameObject.GetComponent<Script>
    then I change the vars with MyVariable.ExternalColorVariable = ColorVariable

This is not working and I am unable to find the external variable.
    Please help.
    Thanks

27. Catttdaddy

Catttdaddy

Is this asset being supported any longer?

28. OZAV

OZAV

Is this asset being supported any longer?

29. CatsPawGames

CatsPawGames

Hello. It's supported on bugfixing-only basis for now. For support it's better to use email designated in asset description.

JBR-games likes this.
  30. JBR-games

JBR-games

hello hascthis been tested and does it work with unity 2019.3 ?

31. maltakereuz

maltakereuz

Will it works for sprites in 2D game? I am using regular sprites so they are basically quads.