Search Unity

Shader graph vs writing them myself

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Hotpockets26, Apr 6, 2018.

1. Hotpockets26

Hotpockets26

Hello, I'm sure this question has been answered before but I couldn't find it. So im new to unity and wanting to get into shaders soon, and Ive been seeing stuff about this new shader graph unity is making/ made (I dont know if its out yet) and I was wondering what the limitations were vs learning to write shaders myself, are shaders so difficult that for a beginner still learning to code and model that this is to much to take on? or would not learning to write shaders myself now hurt me in the future?

thank you,

2. Invertex

Invertex

Even if you know how to write shaders well, a node-based system can help take some work load off your shoulders for prototyping and general development with small teams or just yourself. But it's definitely beneficial to learn the inner workings of shaders, especially if you'd like to get into more advanced effects like mesh generation, post-processing, compute shaders and trying to eek out every little bit of performance from a shader for a game that might really need it, like a VR game. Plus you don't want to be at the limits of whatever tools a given node system has exposed to you.

It will really depend on the game as well, many games don't need anything more complex than what shaders are already provided and the node editors expose.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2018