Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader graph: Rotating 2D planet with shadows?

Discussion in 'Graphics Experimental Previews' started by nicmarxp, Jun 5, 2020.

1. nicmarxp

nicmarxp

The simplest way to make a planet in 2D that seem to rotate, was to make a sprite, set a mask, and have the texture offset animate. It worked, but there is a warning that this isn't supported, and it makes the game kind of laggy.

So I want to know the best way to do this in the Shader graph. The current idea uses 4 textures:
    - 2048x1024 (Planet texture, wrapping)
    - 1024x1024 (Shadow overlay to make it appear rounded)
    - 1024x1024 (Black outline, could probably be combined with the shadow I guess)
    - 1024x1024 (Mask, to only show the circle)

Also I'd like to have another texture to simulate the position of the sun, but I guess that wouldn't be an issue if I get the above working.

Should I still use a sprite, or should I use a mesh/quad instead? And how would I set this up in Shader Graph?

Oh and I'd also love to try and squish/bend the planet a little on the side to make it seem a little 3D. Is there a node for that? :)

Note that I'm using the URP and 2D renderer, but in this case, lighting isn't required for the planets, but it would of course be good if I needed it for some reason, like for smalling rotating objects.

Here's my current version using sprites:

Thanks for your time! :)

2. coolmatt

coolmatt

Hi,
    It's been awhile since your post but I find myself in the same boat... I saw that on Steam your game is announced for 2024, so I guess you found and answer since. If so, I really would appreciate a tip or two to point me in the right direction. Thanx; m.