Search Unity

Feature Request Shader graph "preview node" should let set geometry to preview and nodes should be bypassable.

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by Neogene, Jan 30, 2020.

1. Neogene

Neogene

The preview node is a transparent node, declared to be usefull when previous nodes don't have preview enabled, but this node should be extented and let user to select the geometry to preview to undestrand how the effect is modifying the mesh, i made an image mod of a fresnel node (i avoid the out node connection for simplicity) steps, the only way now to do this is detach the latest node to the albedo (in my case) and attach the node in the flow which i want to preview.

Dunno if it could be done due to the nature of the whole structure of the nodes, but will reduce learning time imho and let undestrand how a shader with tens of nodes is evolving, i made/i'm making shaders with tens /hundred of nodes and is a "guess how is going here...", and "how is looking at this precise step?"

Anothere nice feature should be to have a "disable/bypass node" checkbox which will bypass the node effect will be usefull to quick test changes, now if you have three nodes:

A->B->C

and you want to bypass the B node , you have to detach A-out from B input, and do A->C connection,

A x B->C
    A->C

and again

A X C
    A->B->C

and if is doesn't look as it needs, we have to do the same in the reversed order to restore previous status, with a bypass checkbox for every node it will speed the try of node effects.

Obviously it has to be availabel if they have the same input property type.

Many devs could answer: but you could use a branch node with a boolean, sure: but this way we have to add a node and a property for every option only to test if a/many node generate the effect we want to try and increase shader complexity adding branches nodes and properties around. And if we are happy with the result we have to remove the branch and the property to reduce shader complexity (in terms of performances, compilation time and memory).

In a more complex structure bypassing/enabling nodes will decrease test time of shader graph flow.

abj2023 likes this.
  2. abj2023

abj2023

I agree. This is a must have. I cant believe its not in already. I need this