Search Unity

Question Shader Graph Fresnel is not Glowing outside

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by tonOnWu, Jul 4, 2019.

1. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Hi guys.

I'm using Unity 2019.1.4.f1. The glowing effect that should be produced by Fresnel is not working. I followed your tutorial step by step without result. Also, I did other tutorials which basically do the same as you, and nothing. I should have some glowing effect around my object, but that is not happening.

Any ideas? Thanks.

2. LizardBrain451

LizardBrain451

tonOnWu,

A fresnel effect will, by design, only effect a shader on the "inside" as it does in the tutorial that you followed. To make it work on the "outside" you need to use the emission channel in conjunction. Emission will "glow on the outside", any value over 1 (imo - it works well with values in the 3-12 range). So to make the tutorial above glow on the outside, you should only need to do two things.

Create an Add node after the multiply node (that heads to the emissive), and create another parameter to use as an intensity slider (a vector1 = float). Use the intensity parameter as slot B and route the output of the multiply into slot A.

exposing the intensity slider, will allow you to adjust the glow intensity in the inspector.

Think of it like a yellow color, might have rgb values of (1.0, 0.9, 0.0), however none of those values is greater than 1.0, so by adding 2 to the end of it, it will create values like (3.0,2.9,2.0).

I cant speak to the prior post, as I am working in HDRP at the present, but hopefully it helps.

3. tonOnWu

tonOnWu

Hi @LizardBrain451 . I was waiting for a new version of Unity to try your suggestions. Still, it didn't work.

Right now, I'm using Unity 2019.2.4f1. I'm attaching you an image of my setting. Please, let me know what I could be doing wrong.

Screen Shot 2019-09-15 at 4.04.43 PM.png

4. ThreeRing

ThreeRing

Hi! Any news on this? I'm having the same issue...

5. fatclarence

fatclarence

Hello, I managed to get the Fresnel Effect working using HDRP set up and Unity 2019.3.0f6.

My workaround is to use HDR Color for the Fresnel and then with the Color Picker, increase the Intensity of the HDR Color to >1 ! It should work fine after!

6. Elizabeth_LeGros

Elizabeth_LeGros

Unity Technologies

Hi, do you mean you expect the glowing to extend beyond the bounds of the object? In that case that is a post processing effect (bloom) that you will need to setup

ThreeRing likes this.
  7. wethings

wethings

Are you guys applying it to cubes/straight edges? It dosent work on those

8. jackieucla

jackieucla

I noticed the same issue when trying to use fresnel effect in HDRP project it does not work - exact same setup works in URP though for some reason

9. namynnac

namynnac

You need a Bloom post effect on object or scene

10. Gametyme

Gametyme

Hello, @Elizabeth_LeGros , I'm also having the same problem. Everything works in the inspector but when I place it in the scene I have to use neg numbers and the effect starts form the middle of the game object. Btw, I'm using HDRP.

11. Gametyme

Gametyme

Please see attached screen shots. Also, please look at rim power. It seems to working backwards.

Attached Files:

12. mezzanine510

mezzanine510

I've been really wondering how I can create Bloom (which is essentially what it sounds like the OP is trying to do) to an object. I know you can apply it as a post-process effect in URP, but it applies to the entire scene. Is there a way to achieve this effect through the shader graph?

13. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

I can confirm the behavior in-game (Scene/Game views) is opposite to the behavior in the Shader Graph inspector; this is the same behavior demonstrated in the screenshots posted by @Gametyme above.

In the Shader Graph inspector, everything appears correct in all the previews and the main preview.

However, when applied to an object, both in the Scene View and in the Game View, I have to use negative numbers for the Fresnel strength - and instead of increasing in effect toward the edges of the sphere as expected, the effect starts in the center of the sphere. It is literally the opposite of the behavior demonstrated in the main preview.

I tried all suggestions in this thread, specifically applying a Volume with a Bloom. That did nothing.

I'm not looking for a bloom effect, I'm looking for the Fresnel Effect node to behave the same way in the Scene/Game view as it does in the previews in the Shader Graph inspector.

I believe this is a bug in the Fresnel Effect node.

I am using 2020.2.0b11.3484.

IIMakII likes this.
  14. LauSny

LauSny

Not work for me either, please fix it

15. nx-sm

nx-sm

Hi, had this behaviour in Unity 2019.3.0f6 HDRP and it seems that the scene lighting is overpowering the shader effect. Multiplying the output again by a large number worked for me. I used a power node to avoid large values in the inspector. Note that I was using Lit Master node.

upload_2021-2-2_12-55-43.png

16. ReaperDuQC

ReaperDuQC

This here, it seems logical when you think about it, since HDRP uses different value for lighting in the scene, so using large number to control the intensity did work for me too