Search Unity

Feedback Shader graph editor keeps slowing down intermittently

Discussion in 'Shader Graph' started by imaginaryhuman, Nov 10, 2019.

1. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

On a Mac here. 2019.2. Shader Graph is sometime fine, the realtime shader previews etc are updated every frame. I can drag stuff around, a stuff, fully responsive. But, then something happens, and it suddenly goes into total slow mode, freezes up, maybe 1 frame a second or worse. Sometimes it then rectifies itself. Sometimes I have to hit save and that maybe fixes it (until next time). Sometimes there is so much lag the saving doesn't fix it. Sometimes it lags as soon as I open up shader graph window, sometimes not. There is something going on and I don't think it has a whole lot to do with the graph complexity. When I examine CPU usage during those times it is no different to other times, no particular spikes or anything. It seems like this is some kind of bugginess with the editor. It's also quite annoying because it extremely slows down the user interface to a crawl and every single action is several seconds delayed. Anyone else seen this?

2. MrPaparoz

MrPaparoz

It's same on MacbookPro 2014. Disabling Metal Editor Support helps a bit but not much. Actually mine is worse than yours. Try to take down ShaderGraph window below Play/Pause/Stop buttons of Editor.

3. TeorikDeli

TeorikDeli

I believe this is related to GraphView's itself (I opened a new thread at UIElements subforum). Anything that uses GraphView has the same performance issues.

What mac model are you using?

florianhanke likes this.
  4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

2019 iMac, I got it just several months ago. Haven't upgraded to Catalina yet.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
  5. MACHIN3

MACHIN3

I have seen this as well, on Linux. I see it not only in the Shader Graph, but in the editor in General. For instance when toggling certain HDRP settings like Enable Metal and AO properties or even just the Decals prop. It's exactly as you describe, terrible slow down and lag, no increase in CPU use though. The only way for me to resolve it is close down Unity and start it again.

6. Korindian

Korindian

Getting extremely long editor response times in the Shader Graph for a large, complex shader. Opening the shader graph takes around 19 seconds. Changing a property name takes almost 15 seconds for the editor to unfreeze, and 10 seconds to change the property Reference name. Pressing play mode with the complex Shader Graph open causes the entire Shader Graph to close and open again, resulting in another huge wait of 30 seconds before the scene starts. The GraphView itself doesn't have any lag except for the above issues.

This is in an empty scene with just one mesh with a lot of nodes in the Shader Graph that aren't even connected to the master node. This is a separate issue than compilation times, which is taking a manageable amount of time for a HDRP Lit Shader Graph.

Anyone else having these problems? This is with HDRP 7.1.7 and 2019.3f4.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2019
  7. alexanderameye

alexanderameye

Same issues with my graph becoming larger and more complex. Very annoying to work with. Opening the graph is slow, reaction time is slow, undo/redo is slow, adding properties is slow etc.

I only have this issues with larger, more complex graphs though.