Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Ace you are the best =)

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Finally :D

3. eddietoast

eddietoast

How do you control Specular in Metallic PBR (Specular in UE4, Reflectance FB3, Specular Level in TB2) for Non-Metals (0.00-0.16)?

4. Barada

Barada

Hi guys. i`m trying to implement a Volume ray casting system in order to do some real volumes. It doesn`t seem that hard in principal. i just wanted to see if theres anybody whos had a go, has any thoughts etc. i`m hoping to use a large textures, like a sprite page, and cut up in slices that represent the texel depth. using the new texture tiler node. invert the view vector and trace it backward to the backface. hopefully with some maths jiggery i can calculate the texels it passes through, offsetting them along the volumes z axis in code and probably blending between where the intersection is off. then just adding them together to get the pixel colour and transparency. Thoughts?

5. stationx

stationx

heey, is there a way to collapse nodes with a lot of parents to get a more clear overview?

6. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I'm actually not sure. It might be possible using the specular mode, since metallic is a simplification of specular. Though I'm not entirely sure how you'd set that up.

Not at the moment

7. stationx

stationx

another questions...about RGBA
    I am creating a combined texture where I store two greys to be used for displacement. (Green + Alpha)
    The alpha channel gives correct results, while the green channel doesn't It looks like the green channel is different handled? While at the end, all channels are stil gray? Am I suppose to encode textures different?

8. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It shouldn't be, though this depends on the compression you're using. Try setting the compression of the texture to Truecolor to see if it's related to that

9. stationx

stationx

Done that, didn't seem to have effect. Toggling ByPass sRGB did however. Not sure why?

10. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

That's related to how it handles gamma vs linear

11. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

About a year ago, I created a shader for projecting world-based moss and snow onto models.

As I have decided to go back to this and refine it for use with a project, I may need some help making it usable with vertical objects such as walls.

What I Have moss1.PNG

The Nodes
    moss2.png

What I Want To Be Able To Do

12. eddietoast

eddietoast

Reflectance in Metallic (using Specular Set Up) for Non-Metals:

Diffuse = (1 - Metallic) * Albedo
    Specular=Lerp(Reflactance,Albedo,Metallic)

Works great

13. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

14. Seplabmikash

Seplabmikash

Hiya people. I just wanted to note that when using Override Fog Color I get these blocky apparitions with the fog. (It's no problem for now since I could just turn off the override color) But it would be nice if when using override fog color you don't get those. :)

Attached Files:

15. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

What's the blend mode of the shader?
    Additive shaders + fog doesn't work unless the fog color is pure black

16. Seplabmikash

Seplabmikash

Hey, it's opaque. (it's not that big of a problem since I just turned off override fogcolor)

In the meanwhile however I ran into a different problem, which also started from the switch to unity 5.
    Intersection fading also doesn't work anymore. I've tried several settings, both in blending mode, render type and render order. Nothing works. Did intersection fading change since the new unity / shader forge?

Maybe important to note: I did create these shaders during unity 4 and using an older version of shader forge. However I reckon the new version of shader forge should change settings when you save the shader? I have the new Shader Forge now and did save it with this new SF. Didn't work.
    (For the record I did check the soft clipping value was high)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 27, 2015
  17. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

I'm trying yo make a smooth shader that creates a softer SSS effect and the reddish color bleeling around the edges where shadows meet the light. But the light attenuation is causing these artifacts unlike the normal soft shadows the Unity lights cast.
    Is there a way to fix this ?

18. led_bet

led_bet

I'm looking into picking up Shader Forge for my current project but, before I do, I wanted to ask how easy it is to pull off something akin to this:

I'm using cone-shaped mesh to simulate a tornado, and I need to create a shader that gives it a cloudy, whispy look (like the water spouts in AC: Black Flag)
    Ex:

Any insight is greatly appreciated!

hopeful likes this.
  19. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

@ledbetterman Looking at that shader(it comes as an example) its doesn't seem that difficult to do. Though the only thing is that that specific shader does use DX11 in its effect(which is completely optional but won't look as good if you or your players don't have dx11 capable hardware, vertex offset can be used to replace it)

@Acegikmo I think I might have found a bug when looking at your example scene for ledbetterman. it appears in most shaders in your example scene. this is the spinning pixel ellipse shader example.
    SuperSFBug.png
    I saw this in another place, cant remember exactly where, it was obvious but small enough to where I ignored it at the time. When I opened the shaders in sf the bottom of the toon sphere was blocking the top of most of these nodes. I moved it a little and went back to sf and it updated the position of the sphere on the nodes, I repeated this until I took this screenshot. realtime node rendering is enabled and the toon sphere is near the origin.

Moving it out of the way causes this...
    SuperSFBug2.png

20. nasos_333

nasos_333

Is there any update on the area lights system ?

Thanks

21. Seplabmikash

Seplabmikash

Alright... So the extent of my problem is worse then I initially thought.
    When I change the Render/Sorting order I can either use softblending OR the fog. Not both.
    Look at the image to see what I mean.

I get the idea this was changed when going to Unity 5. But more importantly, does anyone have a solution for me? Please... I need to fix this asap. Even some hacks, or other fix ideas would be great.
    For example, is there a way to tell Unity to lower or raise the depth blend testing minimum or maximum? Or the fog?

22. stationx

stationx

heey,
    my shader won't compile anymore.
    Suddenly getting this error...
    Shader error in 'Shader Forge/NewShader21': incorrect number of arguments to numeric-type constructor at line 582 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_DEPTH LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF

the issue came as soon as i restarted unity and tried to resume my editing in SF, before that, the shader compiled fine.

The error seems to be here:
    float3 node_1460 = lerp(lerp(lerp(float3(node_5261,node_5261,node_5261),lerp(lerp(_node_6645.rgb,_node_6833.rgb,_blendsandrockysurface),_node_2381.rgb,node_3905),node_8039),_node_9691.rgb,node_6701),lerp(_Diffusetopmountainparts.rgb,_node_7142.rgb,node_9918),node_8412); // add top stones

PS: I found the bug. It looks like one of those Relay Nodes didn't proper output .rgb, while it should output .rgb instead of just the nodename.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  23. Deleted User

Deleted User

I would like to use GPU morph animations in Unity3d. Default FBX morphs (for example from Modo) are rendered in Unity3d by CPU. I thought, why not use Vertex Shaders instead ??? So, I tried to recreate proper solution in Shader Forge and finally, it is not easy. First, I have to reconstruct normals:
    http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=Normal_Reconstruction
    I read that partial derivation is DDX and DDY nodes but now I don't know how to use.

I thought about baking blendshapes in Modo using Vector Displacement Mapping to save vertex offsets between morph targets to texture, then create shader in SF using nodes like Time, Multiply, Lerp, Vertex Offset (to load data from textures and manually set time to every morph ).
    Does someone have experience in this matter ?

24. stationx

stationx

hm another bug:
    Shader error in 'Shader Forge/NewShader_frustum': undeclared identifier 'sceneUVs' at line 93 (on d3d11)

Compiling Vertex program with SHADOWS_DEPTH LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF

I want to use ScreenPos node as a UV, but as soon as I map the output of that texture to another node, I am getting this error.
    So; creating a texture with screen based UV works, but not when I want to use that same texture and plug into another node. (to mask some stuff, only seems to be an issue when trying to mask for vertex displacement or tesselation)

Last edited: Oct 28, 2015
  25. GlitchInTheMatrix

GlitchInTheMatrix

Hi guys, im using Shader Forge for a couple of years and I love it!

Im having a problem right now creating a new shader,

Im trying to use a Slide bar to control the blending between 2 lightmaps that use the second UVset that Unity create when you click generate lightmap uvset in your FBX model.

But can make it works. so far i attack a pic of my case.

26. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Hello, I'm trying to do a very simple toon shader (I've done it before using the nodes below) I'm even looking at the Getting Cozy with Shader Forge video tutorial and I do the same and set everything the same, multi lights, custom lighting shader...

But Still I can´t get my objects to receive light from any or multiple point lights as is shown in the tutorial videos. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here or if something changed in the last release of SF.

Thanks.

This is the shader:

Attached Files:

27. Barada

Barada

Trying to get some sort of volume rendering system.i seem to be getting a sphere that lerps from 1 to 0 at a point in world space. if i move the object it intersect this sphere with the below result. i thought the world pos node returned the position of the geometry under the current pixel? Any help from somebody smarter than I would be much appreciated.

28. Ryirs

Ryirs

I updated to 1,22 but i now can't open my previous shader from 1,19 where i was using RGBtoHSV node.
    I get the following error:
    "Unsuccessfully tried to find connector by string ID [OUT] in node RGB to HSV"
    Any ideas or to work around that ?
    Thanks.

How can i download an older version of ShaderForge ?

29. florianveltman

florianveltman

Hi Joachim,
    Thanks for the amazing asset, it's truly incredible how much I get out of it in such a short time!
    So I'll just add another question to the long list in this thread, as I guess this seems to be the place to do so…

I'm making a shader that's supposed to work as a "mesh-based light",where I'd have a mesh that, when intersecting with other geometry, should give the impression of having a light shining on it.

Before getting ShaderForge, I got this to work by having a simple additive shader with a stencil buffer, and have it do a pass before drawing the "light" to remove the geometry that's supposed to be hidden.
    I'm now trying to build this same shader with ShaderForge, to be able to manipulate the results more easily.
    Here's what I have for now:
    Screenshot 2015-10-30 13.22.31.png
    Since I can't do a second pass with ShaderForge, I get the following issue:
    Screenshot 2015-10-30 13.22.48.png
    The lights go through walls etc.
    Though that's easily solved by adding a second pass in the shader manually, I was wondering if you had any better idea to achieve such an "intersecting" effect. The problem I am having is that when an object is a little further away, I get some nasty Z-Fighting going on with this shader, like what's going on on the train here:
    Screenshot 2015-10-30 23.39.20.png
    There's also some weird artefacts going on on certain parts of "light" meshes like shown here:
    Screenshot 2015-10-30 23.39.44.png
    Yeah so I was hoping I'd figure something out by trying various things in ShaderForge, but for now that's not yet the case… I'll continue to mess around while hoping for some insight you might bring to my issue, if you ever have time :)

Again, thanks for your amazing package

Florian

Cactus_on_Fire likes this.
  30. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Don't mean to spam but maybe my question would be lost on the end of the last page, so I repost:

Hello, I'm trying to do a very simple toon shader (I've done it before using the nodes below) I'm even looking at the Getting Cozy with Shader Forge video tutorial and I do the same and set everything the same, multi lights, custom lighting shader...

But Still I can´t get my objects to receive light from any or multiple point lights as is shown in the tutorial videos. Don't know what I'm doing wrong here or if something changed in the last release of SF.

I've seen this is happening on the custom light shader example, it doesn't receive multiple point lights.

Thanks.

This is the shader:

Attached Files:

31. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

This is a known issue, and will be resolved at some point

Custom lighting is run once per light source, and is additively blended in the end. You'll want that in Emission multiplied by your base texture, rather than in Custom Lighting

32. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Make sure you enable multiple lights under the shader's lighting settings, and make sure your project supports multiple pixel lights under the quality settings

33. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

This is really simple but is there a way to take the color result of various nodes and set the alpha directly? (just the alpha)

34. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Use component mask to get the component you want, and connect it to the Opacity input of the main node

35. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Thank you very much, as always a life saver :)

36. stationx

stationx

heey, how can I reuse a code block to act as a real function? E.g. different output on different parameters.

edit: I dont want to duplicate the code block to accept different parameters, instead, I want to use the code block, use it as a global function and let it accept different parameters that gives different results.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  37. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

That's not possible at the moment

38. florianveltman

florianveltman

Hi, I was wondering if you had any clue as to how to get the intersecting geometry to be affected by a mesh, as I was describing in my previous post? Maybe it's a bit too complicated and sorry for insisting!

39. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I'd suggest using the Scene Depth node and the Depth node to see if geometry is in front of or behind the light, though I'm not entirely sure if it will help in this case, and it also requires you to render depth with your camera, if you're on forward rendering

florianveltman likes this.
  40. florianveltman

florianveltman

Thanks, I'll have a look at those!

41. Designopolis

Designopolis

Just got started with this, this is great fun. I don't really know what I'm doing quite yet but the results are pretty. Here I made some cartoony looking water in an effort to make the most vivid looking animated water I could (ignore the terrain, standard issue RTP textures on a mesh for now)

http://gfycat.com/IlliterateDelectableItalianbrownbear

I have to ask, if presented with a situation where the Blend node can do what any other node can approximately (like Multiply and Blend's multiply), is it any sort of benefit to go for the other node? Besides the limitation to two inputs and such, I mean more processing costs and such.

42. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

There's no difference really, unless you want to create an approximation of a blend mode rather than the proper version of the blend :)
    Multiply though, has the same computational cost in both the Blend node and the Multiply node.

Your shader looks very pretty by the way!

43. Ravart

Ravart

I encounter a strange bug with the new version (1.24)? :/
    It seems the render picks a random object inside my test scene and projects it.

WrongRender2.png

Rodolfo-Rubens likes this.
  44. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It's a known issue and it will be fixed in 1.25

45. Shushustorm

Shushustorm

I just tried to use one tile texture and a splatmap to get different rotations of the tile texture onto the mesh, but after lerp, the texture behaves as if its UVs weren't rotated. Any ideas?
    Here is a screenshot of the nodes:
    screenshot.png

Also, is there an easier way to rotate textures by 90 degrees? I used the rotator, but it seems kind of awkward to hand-tweak the values so that the rotation is roughly 90 degrees.

46. JohnyK

JohnyK

Hello, is it possible to create a shader that takes a Texture and creates a kinda soft and blur drop shadow around it (like the Unity UI shadow but softer)?

47. Jesus

Jesus

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-utility-shaders.280098/#post-1848135
    Bottom row, second from the left the one you're after?

It also has a few variables you can tweak as well.

There's a free test pack on the asset store so you can check compatibility if you want (something you should probably do anyway).

48. Designopolis

Designopolis

Hey thanks, appreciate it. I've cleaned it up a bit since:

https://gfycat.com/LonelyUnfoldedErne

The node tree looks like this:

It's essentially one (big) voronoi pattern at two different scales and planing in two different directions, and a third for foam. Is one bigger texture reused better than several, smaller ones?

49. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

This is kind of a wierd question but is there any way to mask certain objects with shader forge or by modifying the code of a shader ?

50. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Read up on Unity's stencil buffers, SF has support for it :)