Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

Does anyone know how to create terrain shaders in Shader Forge? I am looking to create a triplanar shader to prevent stretching.

2. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

For a temporary fix, in the shader code, remove the line with the _Cutoff property at the top

djweinbaum likes this.
  3. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

... You've... fixed... EVERYTHING! I had a cutoff step slider property that I also had to get rid of (seemed to be messing with it as well). Now I just handle that in my alpha of the texture. I don't see any repercussions to removing that other than fixing everything. Its been a LONG time since my game looked right like this! Thank you so much!

EDIT - I'm an idiot. It doesn't fix it at all :(. I'd just forgotten to re-enable ssao. Also it makes weird artifacts where there is supposed to be transparent geometry. If I could figure out how to do transmission in deferred then that would be a solution for me. Anyone have any ideas on how to do that? Maybe with nodes?

Attached Files:

• bad.jpg
      bad.jpg
      File size:
      444.3 KB
      Views:
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  4. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Any insights as to why the _Cutoff property causes these issues? Just curious. :)

5. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Hi there Joachim,

It has been a long time since I made you the last request.
    Can you make the tessellation node compatible with quads? (the new "keep quads" option from unity 5). Simply for better tessellation.

6. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Hey first time posting in this thread... but having a bit of a problem with a shader i created in shader forge. ( I am a complete noob when it comes to shaders)
    I have created a simple shader effect for a dash attack . But I am having problems with the opacity not rendering particles behind the mesh. When I change to opacity clip the whole texture goes into a dot effect. As I said I am a complete noob when it come to shaders and need a bit of help.
    Below is a picture of the shader nodes the way the effect looks cool

but it gives this effect when particles go behind it

changing to opacity clip gives this funky result. The particle is visible but the effect is completely ruined

Any help would be much appreciated!
    Thanks

7. RockSPb

RockSPb

Hello there! Why Shader Forge shaders use only 2 lights in forward mode (unity 4.6.5)? Is it possable to remove this limitation?

8. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Have you checked the quality settings of your project? I would suggest looking there first - you might have limited your project/editor to 2 pixel lights only.

9. IFL

IFL

Check the blending panel. (Don't render depth with alpha-blended shaders unless you really know what you're doing (even if you're a master's son))

10. DaDarkDragon

DaDarkDragon

@RockSPb go to your quality settings in unity and go to fantasic or make your own level and add more light limits

11. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It was used by replacement shaders for rendering depth in pre-Unity 5, but in Unity 5, I have no idea what kind of shenanigans it's up to. Clearly, it still affects something.

12. awesomeliquidbear

awesomeliquidbear

Changed the blending options..... no effect. :(

13. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Hello. First, great update!
    This is not a direct Shader Forge question but as you guys know a lot about it I would like to ask if you know how can this effect achieved? via shader? any other kind of effect? I'm talking about how the street objects that are getting closer or farther from the camera won't just pop but are rendered with an alpha gradient-like effect, Like an depth biased alpha depth mask (I don't know haha).

Here's the video for reference:

THANKS!

14. Murgilod

Murgilod

It looks like it'd just be distance blending but with alpha instead of colours.

15. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

http://simonschreibt.de/gat/assassins-creed-3-lod-blending/

Alphatest blending could be used as well. This removes sorting issues and allows for proper fogging. SF has a neat feature since some versions ago - it can use a dithering matrix for anything alphatested.
    I guess that you could try to get a screen-door transparency effect going:
    http://www.digitalrune.com/Support/Blog/tabid/719/EntryId/194/Screen-Door-Transparency.aspx

16. Ga2Z

Ga2Z

Oh thanks!!! great answers form both of you.

17. PrawnJeremy

PrawnJeremy

Hello everyone. I am updating my project to Unity 5 and it broke some of my shaders. I am scouring the forum here to find something to point me in the right direction but figured I would go ahead and post about the issue as well. I am using render textures projected down onto the ground for my character shadows to avoid self shadowing. You can see an example in my avatar. That shadow is in Unity 4.6 with the following code which doesn't work in Unity 5:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader "Custom/RTSProjector"
    2. {
    3.   Properties
    4.   {
    5.      _Color ("Main Color", Color) = (1,1,1,1)  
    6.      _ShadowTex ("Cookie", 2D) = "" { TexGen ObjectLinear }
    7.      _FalloffTex ("FallOff", 2D) = "white" { TexGen ObjectLinear }
    8.   }
    9.   Subshader {
    10.      Tags
    11.      {
    12.         "RenderType"="Transparent-1"
    13.      }
    14.      Pass
    15.      {
    16.         ZWrite Off
    17.         Fog { Color (1, 1, 1) }
    18.         AlphaTest Greater 0
    19.         ColorMask RGB
    20.         Blend SrcAlpha OneMinusSrcAlpha
    21.         Offset -1, -1
    22.         Color [_Color]
    23.         SetTexture [_ShadowTex]
    24.         {
    25.             constantColor [_Color]
    26.             combine texture alpha * constant
    27.             Matrix [_Projector]
    28.         }
    29.         SetTexture [_FalloffTex]
    30.         {
    31.            constantColor (1,1,1,0)
    32.            combine previous lerp (texture) constant
    33.            Matrix [_ProjectorClip]
    34.         }
    35.      }
    36.   }
    37. }
    The Unity Wiki says things like AlphaTest are now Legacy and "It is advisable to use programmable shaders these days instead of SetTexture commands" So that along with the fact that it is broken now leads me to need to make a shader that uhhh works.

Any help figuring this out in terms of SF nodes would be appreciated.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2015
  18. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

@Acegikmo In latest update 1.16 the mouse wheel not scrolling when i call context menu and windows not scale. What happens?
    Unity 5.1

19. PrawnJeremy

PrawnJeremy

I just realized the above broken in Unity5 projector script came from finding out it was not possible to do something like that in Shader Forge in Aug of last year. So I guess first thing first, is it even possible to create with Shader Forge?

20. Vladnes

Vladnes

How to make the same effect as in the lesson?

I follow the lesson of but problems occur when creating the mask, at 20:52

21. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

What exactly are you having trouble with? Creating that voronoi like noise texture?

22. Vladnes

Vladnes

Shaderforge does not have sphereMask node, I can not replace it with something else

23. AkiLap

AkiLap

24. Vladnes

Vladnes

25. Vladnes

Vladnes

Last edited: Jun 14, 2015
  26. Furax

Furax

Hi, is it possible to do Opengl Tesselation with Shader Forge 1.16 and Unity 5.1 ?

27. Mister-D

Mister-D

how do i project a cloud texture on the sky shader that is included in the examples? for now i just add the cloud texture, but i dont have the correct UVs. the texture stretches in the center of the skybox like in this image screen1.jpg .how do i map it to fill and tile the entire skybox?

28. Duffer123

Duffer123

Can I use this asset to create my own water (and shader) as alternative to the basic one with Unity PE 5.x?

29. IFL

IFL

I have no idea what you're really wanting, but I had fun creating something that looks similar. If this helps you, cool. If not, meh. :D
    SF_Vladnes.jpg

DMeville and AkiLap like this.
  30. PrawnJeremy

PrawnJeremy

You can certainly use it to make a water shader but I don't know what shader goodies the PE may lock you out of using.

31. Duffer123

Duffer123

the PE? Personal Edition?

32. Deleted User

Deleted User

I thought unity 5 personal edition (free) didn't lock you of any goodies within the editor.

Only unity 4 and earlier versions did that

DMeville likes this.
  33. Duffer123

Duffer123

I hope so. If I got Shader Forge I'd want to use it to the full extent and it would be nice to be able to create water shaders with it.

34. topsekret

topsekret

We are using Shader Forge to create a post effect (which works pretty decently as long as you set all the settings correctly). However, we are running into an issue where rotating the camera at certain angles causes the entire screen to turn white.

This seems to be caused by the #pragma multi_compile_fwdbase_fullshadows, since if I remove that line, the problem gets fixed. Searching around online, I haven't been able to determine what this "special" multicompile does, but our shader works better without it. Is there a way to tell ShaderForge to remove this line? Our will I have to train our fx artists to manually remove this line whenever they modify the shader?

35. Murgilod

Murgilod

I did some playing around. This is by no means perfect and I guesstimated how a lot of the textures look because the video wasn't super high res, but...

edit: The -1 value should be 0

edit 2: A video with some extra bits added on:

Last edited: Jun 16, 2015
    DMeville likes this.
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

DMeville likes this.
  37. animate_xyz

animate_xyz

Hi All,
    I'm combing through the example shaders that come with SF to better understand how different nodes work with each other. More specifically the vertex animation shader. At the end of the tree there is a panner node connected to a Comp. Mask node and then a Frac node. I'm wondering if anyone can tell me why the Frac node is necessary when the Panner node U value is 0.25? Is there a value in the Comp. Mask node that requires the Frac? When I bypass the Frac my object disappears.

38. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Very clever use of shell technique man. I like it. :)
    Maybe you can try displacement maps to create the illusion of depth.

39. Murgilod

Murgilod

Since I'm targeting low-end desktops with my game and needed this effect anyway, I decided to try this but keep the effect super simple. It's just a simple normal extrusion based on the main texture with a slider slapped on there, which keeps it pretty quick and looks alright so long as the surface has enough tessellation.

DMeville likes this.
  40. jcfalcone89

jcfalcone89

I'm getting a error on Shader Forge 1.6 with Unity 5.1.0f3

41. Dvonio

Dvonio

42. Vladnes

Vladnes

Thanks!

43. Vladnes

Vladnes

Сool technique

44. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It's not using GGX at the moment, no. It's set up to match Unity's shaders

45. Shizola

Shizola

Apologies if this has been asked before but is there somewhere I can get version 1.06 for use with Unity 4?

46. jcfalcone89

jcfalcone89

Hey @Acegikmo, Did you see my post?

47. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Try reinstalling SF using this procedure: http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/faq/?Q=erroronnewversion#erroronnewversion

Download SF through Unity 4, and you should get the correct version

48. Dvonio

Dvonio

Hey, Thanks for answering so fast, I have one more question, on the change log of 1.10 it says
    - Fixed a bug where lightmapping didn't work (Note that Directional Specular lightmaps aren't supported yet)

Do you have any ETA or workaround to get Directional Specular Lightmaps working?

Thank you so much.

49. MastermindInteractive

MastermindInteractive

I'm trying to create an animated glimmer on an object. It's hard to describe, but basically it is like a shine effect that animates over an object to get a player's attention. I need to be able to control this programmatically also in order to turn it off and on. Anyone have any suggestion on how to make this using ShaderForge?

50. pixelquaternion

pixelquaternion

Hi there,

Would be nice to see a 24 hr special on the asset store of your great product.

Regards Peter