Search Unity

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Acegikmo, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Martin_H

Martin_H

Afaik that is correct. At least not officially and by the main dev, who knows what others will do now that it's open source. Don't count on it.

2. synapsemassage

synapsemassage

For some time now Shader Forge is deprecated/not supported anymore. Alternatively you can use Amplify Shader Editor or Unity's own Shader Graph. Both are good choices although Shader Graph might be not mature enough in some situations but it is growing.

3. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

its abandoned for over a year now

4. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Shader forge fans haven't gone anywhere though apparently :)

5. Invertex

Invertex

ShaderForge has been frequently updated by people, all you have to do is look at the Network graph on the Git.

https://github.com/FreyaHolmer/ShaderForge/network

Few users have updated it to 2018.3 and even later.

NeatWolf, Cactus_on_Fire and Martin_H like this.
  6. Martin_H

Martin_H

Don't think I classify as "fan", I just had notifications still activated for this thread, so I replied when a question came up.

Good to know and props to them for keeping it alive! What I meant is you can't count on people keeping it compatible forever, so it would imho be unwise to rely on it.

7. mangax

mangax

i think it may went as open source, i think your better off using alternative solutions.

8. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Unity shader graph is the same thing as SF anyway, even more capable. Better switch to that.

9. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Thanks, but is SF only for hdrp?

10. Invertex

Invertex

If you mean ShaderGraph (not ShaderForge), Shadergraph only supports the new pipelines, LWRP/HDRP. For the regular old Unity shader pipeline then you want to use ShaderForge or Amplify from the asset store.

11. Quatum1000

Quatum1000

Okay.. thank you all

12. AcornBringer

AcornBringer

Could someone help me out with this shader I'm trying to make?

I'd like to get this shader to keep the texture the same size despite the object's scale and rotation but I'm not sure what to do about this stretching that happens when I do a non-uniform scale.

Here's the shader forge nodes:

Any help would be appreciated :)

13. SeveredScion

SeveredScion

The stretching is caused by the UV coordinates of the geometry, not by the shader. That is typical and standard behavior. In order for that not to happen, you'd have to compensate for UV distortion in the shader, by scaling the UVs on the same axis and to the same multiplier as the geometry to which it is applied. Not sure offhand exactly how to do that. Basically you would need a node or a bit of code that passed the UVs through a multiplier that was tied to the objects scale. But it would be pretty tricky for things like rotated objects, local v. global orientation, etc. I advise against trying to compensate in a shader for something that is standard 3D object behavior.

14. AcornBringer

AcornBringer

Okay then. I better not continue that way. I'm trying the triplanar mapping method now from this thread:

http://neatcorporation.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8

The thread is missing a lot of content so I can't quite gather how they are avoiding distortion while rotating.

Any idea?

15. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

You'd have to do the triplanar mapping in object space instead of world space. That should help to get rid of the strange layering effect, I think.

16. AcornBringer

AcornBringer

I tried replacing the World Pos. node with the Object Pos. node (I think that's what you mean) but the texture does not display properly. It just shows soled colors on any given face. Maybe there's another step to take?

Edit: I just realized the transform node will do that I believe. Unfortunately, using a transform world to local node after the World Pos. node causes stretching when scaled and the textures are still overlapping when the object is rotated.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
  17. SeveredScion

SeveredScion

Hm not sure offhand how to get it working and don't have time to dissect. But yes in general, for the effect you're looking for, the way to go is not UV-dependent textures but a "projected" texture based on object space (or world space sometimes but based on the reply above it sounds like that's not a good idea here).

18. AcornBringer

AcornBringer

Someone on Twitter was gracious enough to help me through this and he came up with the solution. A material which tiles as the object is scaled any which way and maintains an object space texture projection when rotated or moved:

It's essentially the triplanar shader from that thread I posted earlier but with world space being transformed into local space and multiplied with the object scale. The Normal Dir. is also transformed from world to local space and then normalized.

Edit: Optionally you can remove the Object Pos. and the Subtract node at the beginning to keep the texture mapping locked to world space when translating the object.

Thanks for your suggestions as well and take care!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  19. coslor

coslor

Folks, I know that SF is discontinued, and thus we no longer have any support, but...the Wiki is broken. Is this expected?

If so, is there any way to export it to another location, so that knowledge isn't permanently lost?

If not, is there a way to get hold of whoever is maintaining the Web site and Wiki? Is it still Acegikmo?

Just in case The Powers that Be do see this, the error message is:

[e2cec6db] /shaderforge/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page Exception from line 212 of /customers/1/c/4/acegikmo.com/httpd.www/shaderforge/wiki/includes/Hooks.php: Detected bug in an extension! Hook efSyntaxHighlight_GeSHiSetup has invalid call signature; Parameter 1 to efSyntaxHighlight_GeSHiSetup() expected to be a reference, value given

AcornBringer likes this.
  20. drakeduck911

drakeduck911

how to lerp two textures by diffrence normal direction?

21. Cactus_on_Fire

Cactus_on_Fire

Would anyone know why using vertex offset for mobile games doesn't work?

22. Dobalina

Dobalina

Hey everyone, I have a vertex painting question with shaderforge.

Here's brief explanation of what I have. I'm currently using a shaderforge material on my terrain. As with any typical terrain setup, I've hand painted the different layers (ie, grass,dirt,rock etc...) That all works and is fine...

Next, I have a vehicle that drives on this terrain. I want to find some way that the tires will vertex paint my terrain as it traverses. Here's a somewhat similar example, except this is mesh only and doesn't support terrain painting (
    )

I know there are packages on the asset store that allow you to vertex paint on meshs via mouse clicks.... but I haven't seen much in the way of gameobject translation or collision painting the terrain.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2019
  23. Adam-Bailey

Adam-Bailey

Does Unity terrain even support vertex colors?

24. asqewfcq2egf

asqewfcq2egf

In Unity 2019.3.6, shaders ignore directional light if using a baked lightmap. Any fix for this?

syscrusher likes this.
  25. unity_0EUPTA9vhgif5g

unity_0EUPTA9vhgif5g

26. J0hnC0nn0r

J0hnC0nn0r

It's sad that the community has to make a better shader for Unity because apparently they don't want to improve theirs anymore.What's even worse is that said shader's are sold for $100 when their main competitor offers a great one for free that you don't have to buy.

27. Invertex

Invertex

Unity has already drastically improved their shaders. But it required a new render pipeline to do correctly. You can enable the universal (lightweight) or HD render pipeline from your package manager. HD render pipeline has cutting edge rendering techniques, including raytracing.

pachermann likes this.
  28. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

Anyone else still using shader forge? I've updated to 2019.4.13f1, and shader forge still loads and compiles shaders, but adding nodes to a shader causes Unity to crash. Anyone else had the same issue?

29. Invertex

Invertex

Haven't tested this one, but it's the most recently updated one on Github.
    https://github.com/RobertAcksel/ShaderForge

You can see the active forks here, there's some with 2019.3(4) specific labels too:
    https://github.com/FreyaHolmer/ShaderForge/network

AlcoleponeHome likes this.
  30. AlcoleponeHome

AlcoleponeHome

umm, tried all of those, and still get a crash... some of those crash just loading shader forge. cheers for the links though

31. gearedgeek

gearedgeek

32. nikolang_unity

nikolang_unity

Can someone tell how to recreate a Skybox Shader with a texture? I can get the standard procedual skybox shader in the default shader forge shaders but I cant get the texture mapping to work. I guess I somehow have to set the view direction to the UV map of the texture but I cant get it to work correctly.

33. MP-ul

MP-ul

Just use a cubemap man!. Same thing

34. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I am trying to make an object-space triplanar shader (working) with rotation (not working).

I have used the Triplanar Mapping wiki as a jump-off point, and have managed to pull apart the UV to pass the directions through rotators, but the rotators seem to "pan" that axis' texture instead of rotate it.

Using the world-pos node instead of object-pos for the rotators allows the world-Z axis to work, but the X and Y axis appear stretched like the UVs aren't present.

Any ideas?

Attached Files:

35. Studio_Akiba

Studio_Akiba

I'm aware this post is very old, but thought I'd give this out so anyone still subbed here can use it.

If you want the effect here where rotating causes texture blending between the side and top, use the world-spacePBR shader, if you want it to stay as is when rotating, use Local-SpacePBR.

Attached Files:

MP-ul likes this.