Search Unity

1. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Forge - A visual, node-based shader editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress' started by Acegikmo, Jul 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ZJP

ZJP

strumphy is free !!!

2. janpec

janpec

This is awesome feature, basically it allows overdrawing all assets in game into certain color range.

3. Dee-Kej

Dee-Kej

So glad to hear it's almost time for open beta!

Saw your presentation at the Unity Meetup, now I'm sitting here, waiting to throw money at the screen as soon as it goes live in the asset store! It's a powerful add-on, can't wait to try it out and use it for my upcoming projects! :)

4. NutellaDaddy

NutellaDaddy

It looks perfect already but what is the price? I love the word free just in case you wanted to know.

5. Chaoss

Chaoss

<snip>

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  6. mgear

mgear

Try asking support from unity..?

like UMA:

7. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I love the word free too, but not when I've been working on this for months, plus the fact that I've planned to keep it up to date, fix bugs and implement new features after the release.

8. SteveB

SteveB

'Free' in instances as such is not a word I like very much; I want to see a strong business model that supports the developer and a price that shows confidence in the product.

'Free' could be dropped to the wayside like many assets on the AssetStore. 'Paid' provides sustainability and future product enhancements and updates.

'Paid' is the word I love. (the other words 'released to the asset store' are even better) :D

9. Murgilod

Murgilod

YEah, I like free things, but given the amount of work that's gone into this and the promise of continued support, I'm all for shelling out for this. Especially considering how it's going to pretty much allow me to completely divorce UDK as far as my workflow goes.

10. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

That's actually insulting considering that he worked on this for many months. Development has to be paid for. You too expect to get paid when you release a game/finished work don't you?

11. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I think 80 dollars is probably a good sweet spot for a product of this quality, bearing in mind its new and all. Going less than 50 is an insult.

12. Murgilod

Murgilod

Apparently the beta price is going to be around $85 but the full release is going to be $100, but considering the workflow changes this is going to bring about, it'd pay for itself in a few days at $200 even.

(Please do not make it $200, Acegikmo, I already budgeted the $85)

13. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Thanks for all your support! Glad you think it's going to be worth the purchase :)

Also, happy new year, hope you all had a nice one! I hope 2014 will be the year of pretty Unity shading ;)

Development is getting super close to the public beta now!

I have very little left on my todo now:

External:
    - A very basic set of tutorials
    - A "trailer"/announcement video for Shader Forge
    - Asset store assets (Icon, store page image, description, etc.)

Bugs:
    - Lightmap specular looks a bit broken when using real-time directional lights in the scene
    - Specularity looks, a bit odd at times, with blinn-phong. Something might be wrong.
    - Hotkeys are broken on Windows

Featuers:
    - Spherical harmonics support
    - Node tree screenshotting

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  14. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

Is it possible to make shaders which use different properties/textures based on vertex color? It would be useful with unity vertex painters.

15. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Yep! It has been possible ever since the vertex color node was added :)

16. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

Yay Acegikmo, happy new year, i'm waiting so bad for this to get out :) , i saved my christmas money for it.

17. mk1978

mk1978

I would like to ask a couple of simple questions. Is it so that I will need to have Shader Forge in order to use these shaders, or can I just buy the shaders created with Shader Forge from somebody? The outcomes of the Shader Fore (screen shots in this thread) look awesome but I don't have any idea/knowledge about creating these shaders.

18. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

You can use SF shaders without installing SF! However, I do want to make sure that there are enough tutorials and so on for everyone to learn how to use it.

19. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I've now updated the node documentation with the main node, along with animated .gifs of all inputs so far :)

http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/nodes/

Diffuse
    Diffuse Power
    Specular
    Gloss
    Normal
    Emission
    Transmission
    Light Wrapping
    Alpha
    Alpha Clip
    Refraction
    Diffuse Ambient Light
    Specular Ambient Light
    Custom Lighting
    Outline Width
    Outline Color
    Vertex Offset
    Displacement
    Tessellation

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  20. Murgilod

Murgilod

Okay, so maybe I missed this, buuuuuut...

Will SF only output compiled shaders or will it output shaders you can easily modify by code?

21. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

SF generates a CG shader, which is then compiled by Unity. You can modify the generated CG shader all you want :)

22. Murgilod

Murgilod

Perfect! I'm hopefully going to churn out a few shaders that I'd like to be able to pass around to some people for quality improvements/efficiency bits.

23. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Cool :)
    Also, quoting this since it got in near the end of the last page:

24. myroomtm

myroomtm

Reference page for Korean support your plans in?
    If you provide a different language seem to be pretty cool.

25. myroomtm

myroomtm

And, Source is not created Shader Forge can visualize this?

26. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Unfortunately I don't know Korean at all, and I don't know many who would be able to translate it!
    However, I suspect you might know people (and/or Google Translate) who can figure out how to correctly translate everything :)
    If I start adding one language, I think people would expect even more languages. Right now I don't plan to have any languages other than English, to save time on my end.

Not sure what you mean, could you elaborate?

27. myroomtm

myroomtm

Sorry. I'm not good at English. Just read the words. :)
    The second means:
    [ Unity Shader Code that not created in the Shader Forge ->
    Import to Shader Forge ->
    Can Shader Forge do visualization to Node structure? ]
    I don't know whether the meaning is communicated well... have a good day!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  28. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Ah, I see what you mean!
    No, unfortunately Shader Forge cannot import other shaders and visualize them with nodes, only with shaders created in Shader Forge

29. Hikiko66

Hikiko66

What he said. Is this a planned feature?

Thanks

30. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It's a planned feature, it will come post-release :)

31. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think i know someone who can translate it into korean if that helps

32. sandboxgod

sandboxgod

Those shader preview sphere images look very cool. Acegikmo, you have a good eye for Art.

33. dratsum

dratsum

I've been following this thread and I am soooo looking forward to it's release. Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

34. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Thanks sandboxgod and dratsum!

Also, the first tutorial is now up :)
    Release is super close now, the plugin itself is pretty much ready, I just need to fill in documentation etc!

35. Chaoss

Chaoss

That's awesome, I'd love to see some videos like these on the more complex nodes such as Abs and Cross. They will go a long way to helping both newbies and refreshing even professionals memories. They'll really help me out as well where I know how to make most fairly complex shaders and create certain custom lighting there is still a few small things I get stuck on from time to time.

Infact one such thing is how would I go about creating a shader that would eventually be used as a road shader on terrain. I'd like to position the road a little bit above the terrain to avoid clipping but then in the shader 'move' it back down so it's flush with the terrain. I have already tried using both vertex offset (it moves the mesh back down but it then clips) and paralax (isn't really what I'm looking for and doesn't work with alpha). I had thought about maybe having the road dynamically 'lift' based on camera distance to avoid clipping but I'm not totally sure on how to tell SF where the view is in relation to the shader (this is one thing I get stuck on quite a lot actually) I'm pretty sure there is a cleaner way of doing this as well and I'd love to know if there is an easy solution that doesn't involve using layers.

36. IllTemperedTunas

IllTemperedTunas

Sorry for asking the obvious, but when can I try the beta/ buy this!? I've looked through several pages in this thread and couldn't find any sort of ETA.

Quick question, I'm working as an artist on a team with several other coders. If I acquire this, will everyone else on the project need shader forge for the project to properly sync? Or can i just spit out the shaders and use them? I'm assuming it wouldn't be an issue but just want to make sure.

Thanks in advance.

37. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

It depends on what you've got so far. Do you have the shape set up already, but it's currently intersecting/zfighting with the terrain, and you just want to move it up by distance?
    In that case, you can use vertex offset by normalDir * (Dist( worldPos, viewPos ) * 0.001

ETA is about 4 days I would guess :)
    It has has a long time of semi-closed alpha/beta, which is why some people have been using it!

The shaders generated by SF can be used by anyone, even if they don't have SF installed. If other people want to edit/open the shaders using SF though, they'll need a license too.

38. Murgilod

Murgilod

If you release the same day that METAL GEAR RISING: REVENGEANCE unlocks on Steam I am going to be suffering from a severe choice conflict.

39. Murgilod

Murgilod

Actually, total noob question, but I've never actually dealt with refraction on my end. If I have a surface that has refraction applied to it, will it distort reflections as well or would that be a separate operation?

40. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

You can't use the refraction to simulate real-time reflections, but you can get real-time specularity based on the same offsets as the refraction. For instance, if you use a normal map in your shader, and the RG channels from the normals as refraction vectors, and put some value in specular, you'll get specular reflections and refraction using the same technique

41. Murgilod

Murgilod

That should be easy enough to implement, thanks!

42. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

I have now set a release date to force myself to finish it:

It should be out this wednesday*! Getting really close to being ready now.
    Wrapping up the website now; here's how it currently looks: http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/nodes/

*plus asset store submission delays, if any :)

I also need to make the asset store images.
    Which selling points do you believe are strongest for Shader Forge? What should I emphasize on?

Would love to hear any feedback you might have!

43. Murgilod

Murgilod

A big selling point (to me, at least) is the ease of use, but more importantly, the dynamic shader previews. Being able to see if/how something is working as I'm working is a pretty huge deal.

44. kshaja

kshaja

"A visual, node-based..." is what catches my eye at first glance :)

45. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

Thanks!

I can imagine - good point, thanks :)

46. Marco-Sperling

Marco-Sperling

Another big point is that SF works in Unity3D Free.
    And one more: no extra assets created during the construction of a shader. All is handled inside the *.shader files themselves which can be easily shared with others that do NOT have SF. Which makes these shaders perfect candidates for the Asset Store.

47. ColinKnueppel

ColinKnueppel

Thank you for setting a date, and this program looks amazing. It's exactly what my group is going to need. I was looking into Substance before this, and that program is way way too expensive.
    If you're looking to set a price, I'd personally like to see a price point under 150$, ideally 60$'ish. I think 60$ is a number that even casual tinkerers may pay. You reach a wider audience. The competition is putting stuff like this out at crazy 600$, and that's impossible for bootstrapping starters, and for that reason you'd be a little justified to go higher. However, if you're planning to put this out free (which seems implied by some other's posts), be sure to put up a donate page. You'll be saving a lot of people a lot of headache and financial pain, so at least some of us will want to thank you.

What has me greatly enthused about this program is that it shows animated textures, node based editing and allows for complex shader effects. If you can show animated gifs, I'd show the foggy torus, the bulging mobius for certain. If not, do comparisons. Show the source basic torus and then show the variations beside it. Same for the mobius, perhaps using a blur effect to show that it's moving (It's cheesy, but it visually conveys movement). Finally, definitely show the larger graph with the burning torus in it, as users will want to see workflow.
    Those pictures would show the versatility of the program and the workflow.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  48. Kirbyrawr

Kirbyrawr

He said that the price will be around 80 ~ 90 the first weeks, then 100 and for the eta he said that it will be for Wednesday if all go well :)

49. Acegikmo

Acegikmo

$80 When the beta is released on the asset store (Wednesday + asset store delays), $100 once it leaves beta and goes into 1.0 :)

50. Shox

Shox

Thank you for this amazing tool, keep up the good work!

I'm trying to rebuild this shader in Shader Forge.

So far I got it working with the alpha cutoff:

$proximity.jpg

From this point I'm having some trouble getting the outline around the alpha cutoff. I'm unable to control the outline color with alpha. It still shows the outline around the mesh and not around the range cutoff. Any tips?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
unityunity