Search Unity

Shader failures ONLY in CloudBuild

Discussion in 'Unity Build Automation' started by blockimperium, Apr 24, 2020.

1. blockimperium

blockimperium

I am bringing a project to CloudBuild, but first I wanted to see how well it would handle a simple project. I created a URP project from scratch and create a simple scene with some cubes in it. On my local machine it builds fine and I get an exe in Windows from the build. On cloud build I get errors:

[Unity] Start importing Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/Autodesk Interactive/Autodesk Interactive Transparent.shadergraph using Guid(5c81372d981403744adbdda4433c9c11) Importer(-1,00000000000000000000000000000000)
    6805: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Autodesk Interactive/Autodesk Interactive Transparent': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found
    6806: [Unity] Done importing asset: 'Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/Autodesk Interactive/Autodesk Interactive Transparent.shadergraph' (target hash: '5bba9a2cf6037e979b7d6b27b07fc1d8') in 0.495410 seconds

arthurchaloin, s-vovik and wahntin like this.
  2. vuslystyi

vuslystyi

I have the same problem when building a project for the IOS platform.
    Any updates?

3. ollieblanks

ollieblanks

Unity Technologies

Please can you confirm that the same behaviour is not printed in the Editor log when building for the same platform locally from a fresh clone of your repository?

If it doesn't, please log a support ticket with us via the Cloud Build section of the Dashboard and we will be happy to take a deeper look.

4. vuslystyi

vuslystyi

Yeah, I can confirm that. I tried to build my project for IOS via the Cloud Build several times and always with the next errors (some of them):

Code (CSharp):
    1. ...
    2. 14: [Unity] Shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Base Pass)': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    3. 16: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Lit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    4. 18: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Unlit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    5. 20: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    6. 22: [Unity] Shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Add Pass)': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    7. 24: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Simple Lit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    8. 26: [Unity] Shader 'Shader Graphs/ArnoldStandardSurfaceTransparent': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found
    9. ...
    I also built a simple URP project, which we have from the beginning - the same result (Unity version 2019.4.10f1). But when I built the project for IOS on a local Windows machine - got an X-code project without errors. And continue to build that project via X-code on Mac OS - no errors.

DavidZobrist and Idodi1337 like this.
  5. Idodi1337

Idodi1337

I'm experiencing exactly the same problem.

DavidZobrist likes this.
  6. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

+1, can build without problems on Windows and transfer it to Mac/Xcode = works... now tried out Unity Cloud Build (without any changes to code/shaders/materials etc) ... get the above mentioned "not found" message for fallback shaders.

7. Naotagrey

Naotagrey

I got the same problem, anyone got a solution?

Building works fine on local but I'm not able to produce anything functional through Cloud Builds

8. vuslystyi

vuslystyi

I just realized that these are not mistakes. It's just that all lines that have the word "Error" in the Unity Cloud Buid logs are highlighted in red.
    And the build works fine. (If the build don't work correctly maybe the problem is in something else)

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
  9. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

Did anyone have any progress here? Love cloud build for iOS -- but there's always something missing. In the most recent project it's mostly particle systems with custom vertex streams. I've read the log 10x ... but can't find out what's wrong. (and everything works if I go the normal route via Xcode, but I'd prefer the UCB way).

10. DevDuFF

DevDuFF

Check the full log, not just compact log -- it has to tell you what is wrong, or else the build would have succeeded. The error messages OP posted are not breaking the build. In my AR project, the issue was that the textures in the AR Image Library needed to be set to a non-zero width.

EL-soNK and BudsofBuds like this.
  11. BudsofBuds

BudsofBuds

Yes. I came here with the same problem, and I can confirm that when I looked at the full log it was actually something else preventing the build. (In my case, I had the wrong path for the 'pre build' and 'post build' scripts.)

12. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

Thanks for your answer. Though my problem is that the build per se is "successful" and gets submitted to Itunes. But when running it on the mobile device some things are missing (e.g. a fire created with particle FX). I've read the full log (at least the colored sections) and there are only the usual warnings like "Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Unlit': conversion from larger type to smaller" or "Compiling shader "Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError" pass "Pass 0" (vp)" (and all Shader Graph stuff works in the build anyway).

I'm just wondering why it works in the Editor and on the Iphone device (when using Xcode) but with an UCB build.

13. elaine_unity694

elaine_unity694

Did you solved the problem ?

EL-soNK likes this.
  14. anatgl

anatgl

Similar issue here unity 2020.3.7f

[Unity] Start importing Packages/com.unity.render-pipelines.universal/Shaders/Terrain/TerrainLitBase.shader using Guid(21322c8b137c66e49b86085d3c8161f6) Importer(-1,00000000000000000000000000000000) Shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Base Pass)': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found

a build completes successfully but
    some textures look broken, it doesn't happen when not using cloud build

15. EL-soNK

EL-soNK

No. Currently I use cloud build just for internal test builds, and for external Testflight or release versions I go the Xcode route.

16. nikolay_i

nikolay_i

Did you guys find a solution for this problem by any chance?

edit1: Actually there is a solution (if you disable stripping) all will works, but in our case it's not an option as it increases build time drastically

Last edited: Dec 17, 2021
  17. unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg

I'm also getting errors using Unity's own Universal Render Pipeline with Unity's own Cloud Builds for iOS.

18. rajivrao

rajivrao

Unity Technologies

Hi @unity_WHU2VAI6_H7PFg -- can you send a support ticket? Easier for us to take a look at and see if we can help fix your issue.

19. alex_dossamer

alex_dossamer

Hi there, just wanted to mention that this issue seems to also affect the WebGL cloud build target, not just the iOS one. Thanks!

rajivrao likes this.
  20. pankao

pankao

I can confirm that too

21. HighMasterGogo

HighMasterGogo

I'll add to this. Local builds for MAC and WIN are perfect, cloud builds for these platforms build successfully but do not show any of our Visual Effect Graphs.

22. phuong_unity

phuong_unity

@HighMasterGogo I would recommend checking that your Cloud Build target Unity version is the same as the one used for your project and also the plugins are the same versions in the cloud build log as your local build. If all looks correct, please open a support ticket so we can take a closer look.

23. mrphilipjoel

mrphilipjoel

Any solution to this yet?

Edit: So, finally realized, all my gameobjects were using the same shader. But only two gameobjects were visible after cloud build.

I dug deep, and discovered what made them different, is they had height maps. I deleted the height maps, and the objects were visible on cloud build.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  24. CallToAction

CallToAction

I'm having the same problem. When I build locally, everything looks good. When I build on the cloud, many, but not all, of my textures appear white.

Unity 2021.3.6f1

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
  25. thePostFuturistUnity

thePostFuturistUnity

I'm having build failures in 2021.5.3f1 on Android CB, Win64 builds fine, local builds do as well. All appear to be shader related.

26. Danny327

Danny327

Unity Technologies

These error lines related to FallbackShader in URP projects generally don't affect the outcome of the build.

For example:
    6805: [Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Autodesk Interactive/Autodesk Interactive Transparent': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found

There must be something else in the project failing the builds on UCB.
    Please submit a support ticket so we can assist with the investigation further.

27. DavidZobrist

DavidZobrist

@Danny327 thanks thats good to know. Are there any plans from unitys side to avoid coloring them red. This leads to confusion about the reason for the build fail.

It seems to have brought a lot of unity users here for the last 2 years and today also me

28. Fangh

Fangh

Why is this an error and not a warning ?

29. Epiplon

Epiplon

I'm facing the same issue, several errors on Cloud Build for Unity 2022.2.x due to "FallbackError not found" for WebGL builds.

[error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Autodesk Interactive/AutodeskInteractiveTransparent': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found
    [error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Autodesk Interactive/AutodeskInteractiveMasked': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found
    [error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Nature/SpeedTree7': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Nature/SpeedTree7': dependency 'BillboardShader' shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Nature/SpeedTree7 Billboard' not found
    [error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Nature/SpeedTree8_PBRLit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Shader Graph/FallbackError' not found
    [error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Particles/Unlit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    [error] [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': fallback shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/FallbackError' not found
    [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': dependency 'AddPassShader' shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Add Pass)' not found
    [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': dependency 'BaseMapShader' shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Base Pass)' not found
    [2023-05-29T02:39:37Z - Unity] Shader 'Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit': dependency 'BaseMapGenShader' shader 'Hidden/Universal Render Pipeline/Terrain/Lit (Basemap Gen)' not found