Search Unity

1. Unity 2020.1 has been released.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Good news ✨ We have more Unite Now videos available for you to watch on-demand! Come check them out and ask our experts any questions!
    Dismiss Notice

Shader Debugging Techniques

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by emmalloyd, Feb 12, 2014.

1. emmalloyd

emmalloyd

I'm new to shaders so sorry if this is a noobish question, but I can't seem to find anything useful anywhere.

Could one of you shader geniuses explain to me exactly how it is that you debug your shaders? I've seen comments where people say to output stuff as a color to a UV, but no one explains how to do it, or explain how to decipher the color information once it's done.

What I would like to know is what techniques you use and exactly how do they work?
    Any help is greatly appreciated!

Thank you for your time :)

Buildabit likes this.
  2. Duney

Duney

I found that practicing a lot helps at the start. The more you understand what is going on within the shader the better you understand why something might be the wrong colour somewhere (black or white is usually the common colours things go I find). This is usually something with normals being inverted in places.

Also, when people say output variables in the shader, this simply means return fixed4( colour you want here ). So if you have a complicated shader, go from top to bottom, outputting certain colours at specific intervals Output Diffuse->Diffuse+Spec->Diffuse+Refl and you can find what bits of code are causing issues with your shader.

Obviously, when its an un-wanted bright pink, Unity will usually give you some error codes to work from which is a lot more helpful then when shaders compile and run but don't do exactly what you want.

Also, for outputting UV/world positions/normals, the colours are usually the same throughout different objects (Normals/positons towards the camera are the same in different projects [If your code is correct obviously])

3. emmalloyd

emmalloyd

Hi, thanks for your reply! I agree practicing does help a great deal. Could you give me an example of code using the technique? The thing I can't quite seem to get my head around is where/how to implement it properly within the shader.
    Thanks again! :)

ricarious likes this.
  4. Duney

Duney

Code (csharp):
    2. Shader "Tutorial/Display Normals" {
    3. SubShader {
    4.     Pass {
    6. CGPROGRAM
    7. #pragma vertex vert
    8. #pragma fragment frag
    9. #include "UnityCG.cginc"
    11. struct v2f {
    12.     float4 pos : SV_POSITION;
    13.     float3 color : COLOR0;
    14. };
    16. v2f vert (appdata_base v)
    17. {
    18.     v2f o;
    19.     o.pos = mul (UNITY_MATRIX_MVP, v.vertex);
    20.     o.color = v.normal * 0.5 + 0.5;
    21.     return o;
    22. }
    24. half4 frag (v2f i) : COLOR
    25. {
    26.     return half4 (i.color, 1);
    27. }
    28. ENDCG
    30.     }
    31. }
    32. Fallback "VertexLit"
    33. }
    This will output the normals of an object. It should make your object colour something like this. Normals of a surface that will be facing you are coloured more blue from that example and the colour changes as they face away from you.

It's not the best method for debugging shaders though and can only tell you if imported models are wrong really, however, if you are calculating normals, you can output them through the fragment shader like that program and see if it shows you a similar colour representation.

5. jRocket

jRocket

You do it in the fragment shader, the output of which is the color that is written to the screen(before any post effects). There's an example in the docs that visualizes the normals of the model. Just keep in mind that the output of the fragment program is expected to be between 0-1(black to white), so it may be difficult to debug stuff not within this range.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Manual/ShaderTut2.html

6. Daniel_Brauer

Daniel_Brauer

Unity Technologies

A more general, but nonetheless important debugging tip is to disable the Fallback command while writing a shader. This will prevent you from seeing the fallback shader when there are problems with the one you're writing.

iSinner likes this.
  7. emmalloyd

emmalloyd

Thank you for all of your responses! One more quick question about the color debugging technique: Is it just used for visualising calculations or for seeing when things aren't working properly? Just wondering about some of the uses of it? :)

8. Duney

Duney

Shaders can be notoriously difficult to debug, especially when you are not familiar with them and programs like PIX that do debug shaders may seem to give you data you won't understand.

That's why people opt to output given colours at certain points through the shader. For example, your specular lighting calculations doesn't seem to be correct - You can output the normal that you are using to find specular power at a given pixel and if that is coming out wrong, then you will need to change the way that normal is calculated and fix it.

I also find that multiplying by a given variable in the inspector when the game is running can be helpful, as you can manipulate values to higher/lower intensities and watch the results change. So if you are trying to do normal mapping and it doesn't seem right, try multiplying your normal depth value by a given amount when running the code and can see if the illusion of depth is actually changing or whether there is something wrong in the calculations.

9. emmalloyd

emmalloyd

I didn't realise there were debugging programs for shaders, I suppose there aren't any that you suggest then? lol. Thanks again for all your help!

10. Duney

Duney

AFAIK there aren't any programs to debug ShaderLab code at the moment, but I may be wrong. PIX is just a tool for DirectX stuff really.

11. Elecman

Elecman

12. ArminRigo

ArminRigo

13. Przemyslaw_Zaworski

Przemyslaw_Zaworski

14. FlorianBernard

FlorianBernard

Thanks for shareing. I'm trying to use your shader debugger but I get this:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Shader error in 'Plant': ps_4_0 does not support interlocked operations at Assets/ShaderDebugger/debugger.cginc(47) (on d3d11)
    Any idea?

15. jmo7

jmo7

I also got the error in '<FILENAME>': ps_4_0 does not support interlocked operations at Assets/ShaderDebugger/debugger.cginc(47) (on d3d11)

unityunity