Search Unity

Shader-based Red Dot Sights, anyone?

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by 64746c, Dec 20, 2011.

1. 64746c

64746c

Hey community—it's been a while!

So I've seen a few FPS's made with Unity popping up, and some of them look AWESOME (cough InterstellarMarines cough). One thing I haven't been seeing, however, is realism as far as dot and holographic sights go.

In real life, you can't sight using a glass window with crosshairs painted on it; there's no way to tell if you're aiming even remotely where you're trying to. Actual dot sights project a dot from an LED onto a curved dichroic reflector... the point is, the "dot" looks like it's 50 yards or so away, so all you have to do is set the dot on your target, and it pretty much just works.

So I made one. It operates entirely inside a surface shader. It can use a red dot, or crosshairs, or whatever. It looks like it should when recoil is involved, and it aims accurately for most distances. So: Would the community be remotely interested in it if it was in the asset store?

- Danny L.

Attached Files:

2. Andrew_atl

Andrew_atl

I would be interested. Any video?

3. 64746c

64746c

Attached are demo videos; 1 is editor view, 2 is how it looks in-game.

Attached Files:

4. RaptorTear

RaptorTear

I want this.

5. joeybubble1

joeybubble1

Download?

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

yeah, looks useful. If you are working on a surface shader, can u raycast to detect if an object is on target, and change the cursor?