Search Unity

Audio SFX pckage from Asset store issue...

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Peteroid69, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Peteroid69

Peteroid69

today i bought a big SFX collection from the Asset store (Pro Sound Collection).. my first time buying assets (just started using Unity about month ago)... i told it to 'import'.. and it put the entire collection in my current project's Asset folder...
    problem is... it is huge.. like 2 gigs... and i back-up my project by saving the entire project folder... but now it has the huge 'albatross' of 2G of sound files in it...
    i thought it would load the sound files into an area i see called 'Packages'.. so that it would be available to all projects.. but it did not do that (though i don't know if that is what 'Package' area is for)...
    i exited out of Unity and tried moving the folder to a different location.. but Unity didn't like this (since i didn't move 'meta' file).. so i am now moving the collection back into my project's Assets folder.. and although i did this also external to Unity.. Unity recognized this... and it is now 're-registering' all the sound files one-by-one (which takes abut half an hour!)...
    so what i want to do is be able to access these sound files from inside my project... but store them in a folder which is not in my project's Assets area... OR... at least be able to look at the externally stored sfx files from inside the Unity editor and then move the ones i want into my project... so being able to examine and move these 'external' assets from within Unity would work for me too..
    so in general.. how can i get this huge set of sound file 'physically' out of my project's Assets area safely.. and still be able to (at least view) them from within Unity editor while looking at my project?..
    ideally... it would be nice to be able to access the entire sfx file collection as if it was in the project's Assets area (without actually being there physically).. but not sure that's possible..
    i'm very new to this.. so sorry for the noob question.. hehe..but i'm pretty sure i'm not the only one doing sounds in their project that has run into this issue... hehe

2. Peteroid69

Peteroid69

oh.. i think i found the answer.. is it.. "Export package"? .. if so...sorry... for the trouble... one of those cases where i found the solution right after posting a question... hehe :)

3. Peteroid69

Peteroid69

hmmm... not sure why this takes so long.. except 2G of sfx infois a lot to deal with.....
    the export allowed me to create a new package and i stored it in an external folder (of size 2G.. so i am guessing it contains the sound files as well)...... this took like half a hour.. then. i am now deleting the sfx package directory in my project from inside Unity.. THIS ALSO is taking half an hour... which is the phase of this process i'm in as i write this...
    so what i hope at the end of this phase the sound files are deleted from my Assets area... and that i will hopefully be able to import from the new 'package' file without actually adding the sound files to my project's assets physical folder.....and i hope that doesn't take half an hour too... hehe
    am i on the right track?

4. Docaroo

Docaroo

The first step would be to only import the sounds you are actually using in the game and not have the whole SFX package sitting in your game assets.

Further, anything in the Assets folder doesn't get built into the actual game unless it is in the Assets/Resources folder so they won't be getting bundled into your game build.