Search Unity

Sexy UIs :)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by markallanholley, Jun 17, 2019.

1. markallanholley

markallanholley

I'm thankful that the folks at Unity authorize the use of their system for personal learning and projects. I'm a novice when it comes to any of this stuff but I've been able to use a course from Udemy to work through the basic project workflow and I managed to get my little anagram game working like the example in the videos.

I can see myself spending a lot of time with this whether or not Unity ever sees another version, but I have to say that the UI isn't too sexy, at least in the default-ish mode that I'm using it in. I looked around and apparently paid users get an available dark theme... $25 a month is reasonable enough for me for a hobby that I think I'll continue to enjoy and I almost signed up just for the UI color change.

However, I am hoping that eventually the Unity UI wanders in the direction of really nice to look at, like Blender's new UI or something from Adobe. I even really like what Microsoft does with their Dark Grey Office 365 theme once I got the giant honking Ribbon Tabs out of the way. Unity's UI seems like a step back to me.

Does anyone have any tips for setting up the interface? A good default startup look? If it requires a paid version, no problem, I can look into that when I'm certain that I'll get anything out of it in addition to other UI colors... not really worth it otherwise because I'd be buying a car I barely know how to drive out of the parking lot. :)

2. markallanholley

markallanholley

Well, one thing I hadn't discovered yet was the default layout options and being able to save workspaces like in Photoshop or InDesign.

This is markedly better for me:

capture 01.jpg

3. Mauri

Mauri

markallanholley and angrypenguin like this.
  4. markallanholley

markallanholley

Thanks for the preview Mauri! Looks nice - the dark-themed one looks similar to my Blender 2.8 UI. The font change alone is great. Maybe by the time it's starting to be rolled out, I'll have a better reason to upgrade. :)