Search Unity

Severe Performance Degradation when Logged In on Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JDelekto, Sep 12, 2020.

1. JDelekto

JDelekto

Greets!

I'm not sure if this is the right forum to report this, but within the past week or two, I have noticed very severe performance degradation when browsing the Unity Asset Store through Chrome. However, there is a caveat.

It seems that if I am not logged in to the Asset Store, then the site responds quickly. However, I lose the ability to go to my purchased assets, see which assets I've already purchased when browsing the store or hide my already purchased assets when performing queries.

However, once I log into the Asset Store, a couple of moments later this is a huge delay, roughly about six seconds. If I switch to a new page or change a filter, it takes another six or more seconds before the page responds. Each time I do something to change the page contents, the page becomes unresponsive. What I mean by unresponsive is that it does not act upon any user input at all, clicking, scrolling, etc. It is as if Chrome freezes (although where a progress indicator is shown, it is animated).

Using the Chrome development tools to do some profiling, it seems that there are some top-level Ajax call and many subsequent anonymous handlers that are executed, with the whole of the call (Chrome notes it as long-running) appearing to take roughly that six seconds I am experiencing. If I log out of my account on the Asset Store, the page becomes rather snappy again.

The only thing that I can surmise is that perhaps there is a long-running service call being made on the page when I am logged into my account, perhaps to account for the filtering to shade the items I have already purchased differently. I do have over 5900 assets in my account, but I am only displaying about 24 assets at a time in the store. I thought it might have been an issue with a long-running service call (i.e. an unoptimized query on the server-side), but unless the Ajax call was synchronous, I cannot see how it would be blocking the browser.

Below is a screen-grab of the performance that I logged which shows the selected snip of the long-running task. This was captured just as I went to the main page and right after I logged in is when this activity occurred.

upload_2020-9-12_5-12-48.png

At this point, I have to log out of the Asset Store in order to have a decent user experience. I'm not sure what activity is occurring when I log in, but it is certainly affecting performance. In addition, the performance with the Asset Store communicating with the Package Manager is fairly egregious as well, but that is an entirely separate issue.

Regards,

Joe

unityunity