Search Unity

Several timeline issues

Discussion in 'Timeline' started by Sybaris, Apr 11, 2021.

1. Sybaris

Sybaris

Hi everybody,

I've been working with CineMachine in the last couple of days to create a simple video. There a couple of issues arose with CineMachine that were - more or less - clarified with Gregoryl. (https://forum.unity.com/threads/cameras-dont-switch.1087205/)

But there seem to be a couple of issues with the timeline as well:

If I have a timeline locked and open another scene, the timeline still shows the old timeline...
    And even worse: it still seems to have the old camera set as "track camera"!! When I hit record, it records the main camera from the closed scene...
    Changes in the timeline are not reflected as "changed" - there is no asterisk after name in the title bar as usual when something has changed; changes in timeline - for example moving a clip - are NOT recognized as changes. Opening another scene does not ask for saving and changes are lost!

An since today I cannot change any rotation on the virtual cameras anymore. Whenever I change a rotation the clip still seems to play the old version. It seems as if changes to the timeline aren't recognized anymore.

I've uploaded the whole project: https://1drv.ms/u/s!AvTX5a0Y41ck5vJwoJp58Hw55BcmJA?e=mygkDB

If you look at the animation of "CM vcam1" you will recognize that the y-rotation if set to zero from keyframe 20:00 to keyframe 70:00 but nevertheless, when you play the animation, you will see that it still changes the rotation while playing - according to the old values that were there.

Am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

I'm using Unity 2019.4.23f1

2. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

The Timeline is not stored in the scene, so it's expected that locking the window to a Timeline keeps it locked, even if you unload the scene.

Confusing, yes, but in-line with the behaviour of inspectors and every other window in Unity.

There was a bug introduced in version 1.5, in a bug fix which was also backported to 1.4.(7? I think), where the first key added to your playable curves don't register properly.

Adding another clip to the track, or any other action that causes the playable graph to be rebuilt, should trigger the curves to be applied properly, as a workaround until we publish the fix.

A fix is coming in the next 1.4 and 1.5 versions.

Could you please file a bug report using the bug reporter and enter your reproduction steps? It's much easier to track that way, and we'll be able to notify you directly once we have investigated your problem.

No need to add the files in the bug reporter, just put the link in there.

If you post the bug number here, I'll check it out Monday.

Sybaris likes this.
  3. Sybaris

Sybaris

Bug #1328546

Another question: I played around with "Speed" in the dolly cart but whatever I enter, nothing changes.
    How am I supposed to use this?

4. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

@Gregoryl, this one is for you

5. Sybaris

Sybaris

Thanks for forwarding... ;-)

DavidGeoffroy likes this.
  6. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

From
    CinemachineDollyCart.cs:

Code (CSharp):
    1.  void SetCartPosition(float distanceAlongPath)
    2.         {
    3.             if (m_Path != null)
    4.             {
    5.                 m_Position = m_Path.StandardizeUnit(distanceAlongPath, m_PositionUnits);
    6.                 transform.position = m_Path.EvaluatePositionAtUnit(m_Position, m_PositionUnits);
    7.                 transform.rotation = m_Path.EvaluateOrientationAtUnit(m_Position, m_PositionUnits);
    8.             }
    9.         }
    The Dolly cam overrides the rotation of the camera to point in the direction that the dolly is traveling. So even if you try to animate the rotation, nothing's going to happen because Cinemachine runs after Timeline.

I'll close your bug as "By Design", at least from the perpective of Timeline.
    You could ask the Cinemachine devs if that's something they want to support.

Sybaris likes this.
  7. Sybaris

Sybaris

OK...
    So there is no way to point the camera in any other direction that the one that the dolly is travelling??
    That's a pretty limiting "design", huh?
    I'll move this over to Gregoryl...
    Thanks anyway for looking into this.

8. DavidGeoffroy

DavidGeoffroy

Unity Technologies

For your other issues:
    • Asterisk: This is coming in version 1.6
    • Timeline recording still modifies the camera from the previous scene when locked: Could you give me more detailed repro steps for this one?