Search Unity

Several questions re Unity

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jjalt, Jul 2, 2005.

1. jjalt

jjalt

Hi there, I think I had heard of Unity before and just saw the new version on MU.

I have been looking out for a reasonably priced game engine for a while.

However, although I've looked over your site and read your faq there are few things troubling me.

1. Notably I can't seem to find any examples of what Unity is actually capable of. A downloadable standalone binary would be nice.

2. I'm trying to piece together what Unity actually is underneath. I can find some reference on your site that's it's not a Cocoa app, and that it is something to do with MS's .NET. Would I be right in thinking then that Unity is something to do the Mono project ?

3. Now my biggest issue. Other than selecting files in the Installer menu, it's not 100% clear what Unity is intending to install or why. Notably there seems to be rather a lot of files including anti-piracy files destined for /System/Library, /usr and /usr/bin yet no mention of how they operate or what the consequences of installing them are.

Does this app in 'evaluation mode' try to phone home ? And how is it establishing it's anti piracy measures and what is the extent and purpose of all system level files it is intending to install ?

regards

J

2. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

Unity itself is a game design tool. It is completely written in cocoa.
    Unity has several deployment targets. We are using as little platform specific code for the runtime to ease porting for ourselves.

All scripting uses the mono framework. This gives us the ability to use several scripting languages (Javascript, C# and the Python like language Boo).
    It also means that scripting in unity is extremely fast at runtime. Eg. C# runs at around 50%-75% the speed of a normal c compiler.

We are using a copy protection library called InterLok from Pace. It is used in several professional music applications.
    It does not call home without telling you about it before. Neither does it install kernel extensions or anything else affecting your system.

When you register your copy, it will open safari and go to our website. This is where you enter your serial number to authorize. The website will then generate a license file, which can only be used on your machine. When registration is successful, safari tells unity the license file was sent. Unity picks it up and you are all set.

The other place where we connect to our server is:
    * When submitting a bug report with our Bug Reporter application. You have to press on the Submit button before we connect to our server.
    * The web player once installed automatically upgrades itself so that users always have the latest version necessary to view the content someone uploaded to a website. It will also be used to fix any security issues that might emerge once the web player becomes more wide spread.

We take privacy serious. We are not calling home at this time and we will not call home in the future.

3. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

4. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

Ok I haven't registered Unity yet. But this registration system is rather bothersume. Because right now i'm in the U.S. with an iMac G5. But when i go back home to Guatemala I will be using my Power Mac G5. So if I want to use it now on the iMac G5 and then when I get to Guatemala on the Power Mac G5 is this posible?

5. Joachim_Ante

Joachim_Ante

Unity Technologies

You can authorize unity on 3 different machines. So it won't be a problem to register unity on your G5 when you come home.

Note that multiple persons are not allowed to use the same license at the same time. We do not enforce this however, because it would require us to call home. Which we don't want to do, because we respect our users privacy.

6. guategeek_legacy

guategeek_legacy

I understand. And thanks for the response. Jeff