Search Unity

Official Setup Issues - Assignment of MARS seats

Discussion in 'Unity MARS' started by philc_unity, Jun 1, 2020.

1. philc_unity

philc_unity

Hi folks, we have reports some of you are purchasing MARS and are having issues with the entitlement, resulting in "No MARS subscription found for the current user."

This happens when a subscriber is part of an org that has more members than purchased seats. Here is how you can resolve:
    • Sign-in to id.unity.com
    • Click on Organizations
    • Click on the gear in the Organization you want. Click Manage.
    • Find the MARS subscription in the list of your organization's subscriptions. Click the gear and select Manage.
    • Find your user's name in the list of members in the "Manage seats" section. Select the user and click on the "Assign Seats" button.
    We're working on improving the subscriber experience here, but let us know if you still have issues.

aaron-beauchamp and TheCircadian like this.
  2. fherbst

fherbst

I just looked at our org settings, and while I don't have a MARS seat assigned to myself, it seems I can use the trial just fine. Could you explain a bit more to whom that applies? At which point does an entitlement check happen?

Would be great to understand at which point the check happens, and who needs a license – if I have a theoretical team of 100 working on an app, and one person works on a tiny part of the app uses MARS, will all 100 need an additional MARS license to work on the project? Note: this is very clear on seat-based AssetStore product licenses where only people actively working with a thing need to buy a license.

3. philc_unity

philc_unity

Sure, we're hoping it's not an issue for most users. If you have multiple organizations associated with your User ID, or you are buying multiple seats and fewer than the total number of users in your organization, you may hit this issue. Providing the info here so that it's covered.

In terms of the scenario you outlined, the MARS license will be required to develop, simulate, play and build MARS scenes. The users who are not working on the MARS part of the project will be unaffected. Does that help?

EDIT: Removed discussion of builds. No restriction there.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2020
  4. fherbst

fherbst

That's why I was asking, because I'm hitting all those points :).

Your answer helps a bit, but the question about "where and what is the entitlement check" remains - what will happen to those who don't have the license assigned to their seat? Will the scenes not open? Will they not be able to press "Play"? Will they not be able to build? What happens when no internet connection is available?

I'm really just trying to understand the scope and impact of that check; there's so many ways enforced entitlements can go wrong in time-critical scenarious that I'd rather know beforehand what I'm buying into and how it differs from "regular Unity" license checks.

5. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

In terms of what is enable/disabled, top points are here:
    - App builds should still work with or without a license (all app builds are considered entitled; so if you need to make a small app update way after your license expires, no problem, everything should continue working).
    - In Editor scenes that don't use MARS should be unaffected.
    - Once a user is entitled, they should stay locally entitled for about two weeks (14 days), even if offline.
    - In Editor scenes that do use MARS should expect these features to be disabled when the user is not entitled: the main MARS windows (Simulation View, Device View, MARS Panel, and some other MARS windows); the simulation environments will not load automatically, as well as the core Proxy database/matching system will not function.

In short: in an un-entitled editor won't see your app in our rooms, proxies won't match, some other low level MARS functions will be disabled, etc. However app builds will be un-affected.

jmunozarUTech likes this.
  6. fherbst

fherbst

Thanks for the clarifications! Just some more follow-up questions, I think then it will be clear:

1. There's a contradiction now between what @philc_unity and @leweyg_unity said about building - which version is correct? I assume the latter — making builds, no matter whether with or without MARS features, is NOT affected by being entitled, and the builds will work the same?

2. Does the 14 days limit mean when I have a machine cut off from the Internet for 14 days I'll lose access to MARS features?

3. Is the entitlement check done over the same channels as regular Unity license checks, or does it require separate ports or processes to run? Asking this because we had issues in the past with Unity license checks inside corporate networks (which block off basically everything).

7. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

To my knowledge (having written much of this system):
    1. Builds should not be affected by entitlement.
    2. Yes the 14 days is to support offline (off Internet) development.
    3. Currently the entitlement check does use a standard HTTPS web request to api.unity.com (within the Editor process and using standard ports), so hopefully if your corporate network allows Unity access it should be fine. (please ping me if there are issue)

(note that the above may change in future versions)

fherbst and jmunozarUTech like this.
  8. philc_unity

philc_unity

Correct, I edited my comment above to clear up the confusion around builds. My bad.

On offline, yes there is a 14 day timeout on the entitlement if not connected to the internet. If you have issues in a corporate environment, certainly let us know. We want to cover that use case.

9. TimeWalk-org

TimeWalk-org

Despite having added my seat to the MARS seat allocation (as instructed above), my copy of Unity 2020.1.0b10 continues to insist that I have no MARS subscription. Tried restarting Unity.

10. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

@TimeWalk-org , officially MARS is supported on 2019.3+ official released versions of Unity. Being said that, could you check if the same happen on 2019.3?. I'm investigating this on 2020.10b10. (can you tell me which OS are you running the unity editor?)

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
  11. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

(Have started a private conversation with @TimeWalk-org to check their permissions and will post back here with the result)

12. Sisanda

Sisanda

Hi

Please help, I after installing Mars, files got missing.

On the console, I got this error message.

Attached Files:

13. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

@Sisanda, the minimum version for Unity supported for MARS is 2019.3.0f6. You are on 2019.3.0f5, you will have to update.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2020
  14. Sisanda

Sisanda

Thank you, let me do that

15. bbq_dave

bbq_dave

I'm having an issue with this too. I'm the only person in my organization, I set up the Mars trial period, and assigned the license to myself. I'm still getting the "No MARS subscription..." error.
    Is there anything else I can do to get Unity to recognize the license?
    Thanks, and excited to experiment w MARS. I'm considering it as an alternative to Vuforia.
    Using Unity 2019.3.11f1
    Dave

---------------------------------------------------------

16. jmunozarUTech

jmunozarUTech

Unity Technologies

Hello @bbq_dave thats strange, did you check that in the editor you are logged in, is the same account you activated the license for?

17. leweyg_unity

leweyg_unity

Unity Technologies

There is also a rare issue we are tracking down where on first launch the subscription doesn't kick in, please ensure you are logged in, try going into Play mode once or twice, and then closing/reopening the Editor, if those don't work please contact us directly.

Jared_playstudios likes this.
  18. TeamBuff

TeamBuff

I can confirm that this was my issue. I had closed the editor and re-opened it, but stillw as getting the "You're not subscribed error", but when I went back and played the scene twice and *then* closed/opened the editor it worked.

Jared_playstudios likes this.
  19. subashg

subashg

Hi I chose the user's name in the list of members but it only allows me to click the revoke button not Assign seats

20. Nonym

Nonym

I'm in trouble. Help me.
    I subscribed and used MARS as a my organization in the R&D stage. Now the project is planned to be moved to a corporate organization, but there is no way to transfer MARS subscriptions to another organization. What should I do?

21. philc_unity

philc_unity

22. Dirrogate

Dirrogate

Unity 2020.2.1f1 here. Can also confirm, *only after* hitting play button, then closing unity down and restarting, did the MARS panels open without error.

If I hadn't read this thread, I might have given up on starting the journey.

gearball likes this.
  23. gearball

gearball

For those who stumbled upon this "No MARS subscription found for the current user", even when you have the seat assigned, @Dirrogate 's suggestion solves the problem.

Just click "Play" once on editor, and that's it.

24. arimacdigital

arimacdigital

I did the purchase, added the seat to myself, still got the error. Restarting the editor and going to play mode fixed the issue for me.

BjoUnity3d likes this.