Search Unity

Setting up packages in a closed network

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by jwvanderbeck, Jul 25, 2018.

1. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

I brought this up before during one of the betas, but I'm bringing it up again because it is really beating the crap out of me :(

Our artists work in a closed network, so the machines have no access to the internet or the package server. As a result in order to get packages into a project I have to set up a dummy project on a special machine, install the packages and then copy them over and do a bunch of voodoo.

Recently I have been trying to get the new Adressables system up and running and nothing I've done has worked. I constantly get package import errors and reference errors.

I have tried copying all the the package and all dependency packages both into the global cache as well as the project's Packages location. I hav added both the top level package to h project manifest as well as all its dependencies (I did it both ways) and still no luck.

Furthermore, why can't the Package Manager Window recognize packages in the global cache on disk? This would be a lot easier if I could just essentially download all the packages and stick them in the cache for others to install.

Igualop likes this.
  2. _karl

_karl

Hi.
    Try to download all the latest packages and then copy all the data from the following directories to the working stations.
    • AppData\Local\Unity\cache\npm\packages.unity.com
    • AppData\Local\Unity\cache\packages\packages.unity.com

Have not tried it, but I hope this will work.

3. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Tried that with no luck.

No matter what I try I always end up with the following error:
    "Assembly has reference to non-existent assembly 'Unity.ResouceManager' (Packages/com.unity.addressables/Tests/Runtime/Unity.Runtime.Tests.asmdef"

Now I know ResourceManager is a dependency and I did copy that one over as well.

4. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Something is really screwy here. Even if I just add ResourceManager by itself, then ResourceManager will complain it can't find assembly Unity.ResourceManager!

5. jwvanderbeck

jwvanderbeck

Got it working! It was extremely odd but what I found out was that the package files contained meta files that didn't match the case of the actual directories.

For example in the package there would be a directory named "Tests" yet the meta file for that would be "tests.meta".

After I went through and renamed all the meta files to the proper case, everything started working.

So um Unity what? :)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2018