Search Unity

Setting up own webservice / rogue payment channel

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deLord, Jan 9, 2019.

1. deLord

deLord

Hey guys, lots of different questions :)

With this tutorial I could set up a local xsp webservice which I can call from Unity.
    My first problem is: I want to test this against an online webservice and I have nothing to test against or I dont know how to (because the class to use in Unity was generated with wsdl.exe from a .asmx-file that I have access to). Can someone point me to a code example of how to consume a service that is not under our control?

Secondly, once calling a WS on a remote machine works, I want to set up my own website where users can register, login and unlock content by this means (tbh to avoid donating 30% to google). This would also mean integrating payment methods (mb only PayPal to begin with) and the whole login mechanism (are there presets?). I am just not sure how well this works with IAP and if it is too difficult to set up.

Also, how do I port my WS, which now runs under xsp, to a vServer? I don't even know what to copy: the .asmx-file points to a file in a directory called "App_Code" which I am pretty sure does not exist on the vServer. Moreover, where is the compilation when xsp runs? I can only find the source code .cs-file. Why can I test-call my WS from the browser? Does xsp compile and store it somewhere where I cant see?

2. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I would use a .NET Core service instead the soap services in the .NET stack are legacy and outdated as hell. A .NET Core service can run under a docker container which works with various cloud services.

3. xVergilx

xVergilx

Also, make sure it's allowed at your publisher store to have such thing before doing anything.

As it is definitely not @ Steam, Google Play Store, or App Store.
    Which means if you're self publishing game - that's fine I guess.

angrypenguin likes this.
  4. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

I have never heard of a store not letting you communicate what ever endpoint you choose to

5. xVergilx

xVergilx

There's an agreement on payment service - you're not allowed to use ones that aren't provided by the store.
    If someone bypasses that - that is a legal reason for the game to be taken down from the store.

angrypenguin and AndersMalmgren like this.
  6. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

ah, sorry missed the payment part. I just though about communicating with a service :D For example a custom master server

angrypenguin likes this.
  7. deLord

deLord

How exactly would that look? I am in the dark here. Also, I prefer not to use a cloud service (as AWS), and docker (more tech I need to dig into, meh!) seems like overkill to me.

8. AndersMalmgren

AndersMalmgren

What ever hosting service you may choose, a .NET Core service will always be more agile than the soon two decade old soap service.

9. deLord

deLord

OK and what do I need to change/implement on the Unity-side?

10. Glader

Glader

Well, that's your decision. I use Refit (a typesafe HTTP library) as well as ASP Core web APIs for my non-realtime backend services in my Unity3D game. JSON models, Refit + cleverly consuming Tasks/Async in Unity is all you really need to create a decent non-realtime service for a Unity3D application.

deLord likes this.