Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting to disable saving in play mode + editing in game view

Discussion in 'Cinemachine' started by OhiraKyou, Aug 25, 2017.

1. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

I frequently test changes to object variables in play mode and therefore have come to take it for granted that I can experiment without fear of breaking anything. So, I find myself breaking things quite often with Cinemachine. The "no need to write settings down" selling point goes out the window if you're like me and constantly forget that Cinemachine breaks the rule everything else follows in play mode.

I appreciate the value of changing shots within their context. So, I'd still like to see it as an option. But, more often than not, I'm just testing potential changes to the player's free look camera. Generally, when I want to save changes I made in play mode, I copy the component and then paste component as values after stopping.

On a somewhat related note, I'd really like an option to disable the shot editing lines that show up on the game tab. The whole view becomes a minefield when testing free look settings in play mode, requiring constant selecting of some other object in the hierarchy to avoid moving the guides. And, when I'm tweaking settings, I just want to see the game view as it actually is—without a filter and a bunch of lines—so that I can make informed decisions based on what the player—not the camera—sees.

Firemaw likes this.
  2. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

We've fixed that @OhiraKyou, in CM v2.1 which is coming out next week ,

Turn off Save in Play
    go Unity->Preferences
    Uncheck Save camera tweaks in Play Mode
    upload_2017-8-25_8-12-43.png

The FreeLook screen guides are much improved too, they just show the guides of the most prominent of three cameras, depending on where you are vertically in the blend. IE if you're at the bottom, the guides will just show for the bottom camera, etc.

Firemaw, andrew-lukasik and TonyLi like this.
  3. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Very cool. 2.1 is solving all the things. Much appreciated.

4. andrew-lukasik

andrew-lukasik

I often find myself reloading scenes just to make sure my setup won't break (runtime changes break it easily and often). I think this probably should be disabled as a default just not to confuse people.

5. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

I agree with it being disabled by default as well. I just had to track down a bug caused by code setting recenter wait time on a free look in play mode. Turns out, it was saved. This is the sort of bug—one that can originate from any piece of code and affect anything else anywhere else—that makes programming frustrating.

6. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

Thanks for your input @andrew-lukasik , @OhiraK. We know this is a passionate topic with plenty of good arguments either side. Even Gregory and aren't totally aligned on it!

My concern with off by default is that there's super low discoverability. The toggle is hidden away and artists won't know to look for it. Are more people charmed that their in-play tweaks are saved VS those who find it a nuisance?

Typically, those with save-in-play issues will search for it, hit the forums and find a solution. Nobody searches for 'camera system where I can save in play mode' so I'm leaning to it being on and those who have issues will get a solution in 15 seconds if they search for it.

7. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Solid point about discovery. I'm more of a "first, do no harm" and "when in doubt, be consistent" kind of guy, but I certainly appreciate the thought put into it.

8. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

So the consensus is this: it's gonna be off by default, but given more discoverability. Everyone will be happy.

upload_2017-8-29_14-37-8.png

Both Save During Play and Game Window Guides are static persistent settings, applying to all vcams.

Firemaw and andrew-lukasik like this.
  9. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

Sounds good. I've seen that method work pretty well with other assets.

10. Adam_Myhill

Adam_Myhill

@OhiraKyou - check my latest post. Present for you.

11. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

I can't find either of those options to stop saving in playmode, and I just downloaded the cinemachine asset yesterday...

Do I need to update unity?

Edit: nvm, saw it needs 2.1. Any eta on this? Saving changes is really messing up my scripts, and saving bools that should be false by default.

12. OhiraKyou

OhiraKyou

13. IAMBATMAN

IAMBATMAN

Thank you man! :)

14. Infrid

Infrid

I don't see the option for saving tweaks in playmode, and it doesn't seem to save them, which is making things very difficult indeed :( Any ideas how to get this behaviour back?

15. Infrid

Infrid

ah.. spoke too soon - I see the save during play is per clip now!

16. Infrid

Infrid

oh, spoke too soon - doesn't save at all while playing the game. oh bugger :(

17. Gregoryl

Gregoryl

Unity Technologies

Save during play is not per clip - it's a global setting that affects all vcams. The toggle is placed in the vcam inspector, for easy access.

The purpose in not to save to disk during Play mode, but to preserve the tweaks made in Play mode when you exit back to Edit mode. Then you can save.