Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting a variable as public Transform ?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by MitkoBachvarov, Dec 4, 2015.

1. MitkoBachvarov

MitkoBachvarov

Hello, I am new to Unity3D and am currently going through the basic scripting tutorials, when I saw that in tutorial 14. Look At, in the code, the variable "target" is set to public Transform target.
    Now my question is: When and why should we set a variable to be of type Transoform? And what does that actually mean?
    Thanks!

Kyikii likes this.
  2. MaxGaniyev

MaxGaniyev

Hi Mitko,

(Firstly sorry for bad English)
    I can't say I'm a professional, but however I know Transform is the component of GameObject that responsible for position, rotation and scale of that GameObject. If I right in the tutorial GameObject is looking at another GameObject? then this public Transform target is Transform component of second GameObject, first GameObject is looking at position of target GameObject, so we are getting position parameter through Transform. If variable marked as "public" then You can edit this variable directly from editor, so you can drag and drop your target GameObject's Transform component to your target variable in editor.

Max.

3. martinmr

martinmr

Transform is a Component of an GameObject. It stores several informations about position, rotation for example.
    It also has some function you will need to use.

Detailed inforamtions about which variables and function it hast you can read here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/ScriptReference/Transform.html

so you can reference a gameobjects transform to a variable Transform myTransform.

normally you use in scrips just transform.position because every Component has already internal somehow cached the Transform Component of his GameObject.

but if you need another transfrom of another Gameobject you can make a public Transfrom myTransform variable, than drag a gameobject into this field in inspector so you can than use this in your script.

Code (CSharp):
    1. public Transform myTransform; //drag an gameobject into this field in inspector
    3. // in methods use
    5. myTransform.position
    you could also make a public GameObject myGameObject

Code (CSharp):
    1. public GameObject myGameObject; //drag an gameobject into this field in inspector
    3. // in methods use
    5. myGameObject.transform.position
    but in this case you have to use myGameObject.transform.position to change positions etc.