Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Setting a sprite to a Sprite2DRenderer

Discussion in 'Project Tiny' started by sniffle63, Jun 22, 2019.

1. sniffle63

sniffle63

Im having a discussion about this in another post, but i figured i should make a new topic because i tried making a new project in it with nothing but spawning an entity threw the entity manager, which works fine, but im un-able to assign a sprite to the Sprite2DRenderer

I made a short video showing everything i did

SpawnEntitySystem
    https://pastebin.com/pk9gtdeA

SpawnConfig
    https://pastebin.com/mwEFaSkM

Not sure if im doing something wrong, or if its a bug

2. Dunk86

Dunk86

My current theory on this is that this a bug using Tiny with 2019.3.0a5.
    Maybe try with 2019.2.0b4 and see if this blank project gives the same result (as your logic looks fine to me)

3. Frickinlaser

Frickinlaser

I'm having the same issue with 2019.2.0b6. It seams though that this workflow is not intended. @robertg_unity mentioned it in this post: https://forum.unity.com/threads/get-data-from-config.690772/#post-4635799

4. sniffle63

sniffle63

He was meaning if you were storing a reference to an existing scene inside of a config component i believe

Ill try using a different version and see if it works

5. Reborn1214

Reborn1214

I have the same question.Using a Entity field in the configuration is not allowed.When I want a Entity field(like Text2DStyleBitmapFont ).I have to create a new entity to store them. config.PNG It's work,But I don't know if that's right.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. var configEntity = World.TinyEnvironment().GetEntityByName( "GameConfig" );
    2. var bitmap =
    3. EntityManager.GetComponentData<Text2DStyleBitmapFont>( configEntity );
    4. var  textEntity = EntityManager.CreateEntity( ArchetypeFactory.TextArchetype );
    5. EntityManager.SetComponentData( textEntity , bitmap );
    6. EntityManager.SetBufferFromString<TextString>( textEntity , " ");

6. Frickinlaser

Frickinlaser

He clarified in the same thread that scene references are ok but entities are not. https://forum.unity.com/threads/get-data-from-config.690772/#post-4639591

My workaround now is to have a component with the sprite references on an entity in the scene. Then a system that copies that data over to a config component with the same properties. Then the system removes the entity since its data are now stored elsewhere. After that the sprites are available in the config data instead. It works but feels ugly.

7. sniffle63

sniffle63

Yes but hes referring to an entity that exist in a scene, none of my code is linking a config file to an existing Entity. My config file only holds a sprite graphic

8. Frickinlaser

Frickinlaser

Your config component refers to an Entity that has a Sprite2D component. And if I understand it correctly, the Entity containing the config component exists in its own scene, and entity references across scenes are not supported.
    I could be getting this wrong, but that's how I interpret it. When trying myself, the Entity reference in the config Component is null.

9. sniffle63

sniffle63

My config component only has a link to a sprite graphic which does not exist within the inspector, only my project files. So its not a cross scene reference, its just a link to a file in my project.

What hes saying in his post is you cant link an Entity from a scene in your inspector to a component in your configuration's. Which is understandable

But thats irrelevant because i could put the component on another entity within the same scene and get the same results as the video shows, it would just be more code.