Search Unity

SetTile is too slow

Discussion in '2D' started by lethal-chicken, May 9, 2022.

1. lethal-chicken

lethal-chicken

I have 12 total tilemaps I need to set each tile for to load a level. With smaller levels, the loading times are fine, but with larger numbers of tiles, SetTile() is just too slow. I need to be able to save and load larger tilemaps, potentially over 1000x500. So I have a couple questions about how to solve this.
    1. is there a built in way to save and load tilemaps that is faster than setting each tile individually
    2. can SetTile use multithreading and/or ECS
    This isn't a game breaking issue, it's just annoying to have to wait to load a bunch of tiles when going through a door.

2. MaxwellTan

MaxwellTan

Unity Technologies

Hi lethal-chicken, not sure I understand, maybe can give more information.

3. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Use SetTiles or SetTilesBlock. Both of these methods are orders of magnitude faster than SetTile esp when the # grows large and if colliders are also involved.

lethal-chicken likes this.
  4. vonchor

vonchor

You might also try having the tilemaps be in separate scenes, loaded additively/async. I have multiple-layer tilemaps in scenes where the maps are ~ 300*300 and use this approach. Have not benchmarked this Vs settile though.

5. rarac

rarac

thats life

tricks:
    - load it in advance
    - load it in coroutines so the game doesnt freeze
    - load the tiles closer to the camera first

think about efficiency, whats the point of loading 1000 tiles deep when the camera only sees 30 tiles at once