Search Unity

Bug SetSubMesh bounds behavior

Discussion in 'General Graphics' started by arkano22, Sep 18, 2020.

1. arkano22

arkano22

According to the documentation, calling mesh.SetSubMesh() recalculates the bounds of the sub mesh by default (unless passing MeshUpdateFlags.DontRecalculateBounds).

This works fine, the descriptor.bounds field is updated. However, mesh.bounds does not seem to. If you do:
    Debug.Log(mesh.GetSubMesh(0).bounds.extents);

Correct bounds extents are printed to the console. But if you do:
    Debug.Log(mesh.bounds.extents);

the extents are always zero, unless you call mesh.RecalculateBounds(). How come recalculating bounds for a sub mesh does not update the mesh bounds? Really looks like a bug...is this intended behavior? What's the point of recalculating bounds for a sub mesh if we need to recalculate the entire mesh bounds afterwards?

2. Zuntatos

Zuntatos

Ran into the same issue, but I was passing the DontRecalculateBounds flag while passing in a correct manual calculated bounds. I suppose this makes *some* sense, since you're setting a submesh which may not mean you want to set the 'main' mesh.

Would definitely like the docs to be updated to include this difference, had to also assign the bounds to mesh.bounds.

3. paddan

paddan

Unity Technologies

Hello,
    This could indeed be a bug or an issue with documentation. Please file a bug report clearly describing your expectation versus the actual result.

4. Jebtor

Jebtor

Unity Technologies

We hope to address and improve this behavior in the future. For the time being please use Mesh.RecalculateBounds(). I have updated the documentation to reflect this gotcha. There is also an item on the issue tracker here. Once the work has done the issue should get resolved as Fixed. Until the work has started the issue will be listed as postponed.

5. TJaenichen

TJaenichen

Running into this now. I hope this is getting fixed. It's a huge hit on the performance have to do RecalculateBounds in the main thread.