Search Unity

Bug SetDestition/CalculatePath incorrectly returning a partial path when a long complete path exists

Discussion in 'Navigation' started by skowroshima, Jan 22, 2021.

1. skowroshima

skowroshima

I'm having an issue where NavMesh CalculatePath or NavMeshAgent SetDestition incorrectly calculates a partial path when a full path exists.

In the example below, I was able to add an intermediate destination to give a slightly better starting position, and the it was able to calculate a full path correctly. If I try and calculate a path from the destination to the starting position, it calculates correctly.

Is there a point where the nav system just gives up and does a partial path? Is there any way around this? Can I take advantage of the fact I can calculate a reverse path?

2. skowroshima

skowroshima

3. skowroshima

skowroshima

4. skowroshima

skowroshima

Does anyone from Unity watch this forum? It would be nice get get an answer in undocumented behavior.

5. skowroshima

skowroshima

Bump, ran into this again today.

6. skowroshima

skowroshima

It appears that it may not even be a "max" iterations as I originally thought. The following example calculates a partial path where a full path exists (and isn't that long). I'm guessing it wont try distances longer than some multiple of the "the crow flys" distance?

7. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

I think this is intended, even though it doesn't make any sense. I wrote my own routine to calculate the full path.
    Hope it helps.

https://pastebin.com/XNdtHxFU

8. skowroshima

skowroshima

It looks like that will work when the path is too long and it creates a partial path, and you can chain the partial paths together. It doesn't work when the partial path is not a subset of the actual full path. In the picture above the partial path is just a greedy shortest distance to the target, not a subset :(

9. DwinTeimlon

DwinTeimlon

Hmm, I see, sorry to hear that.
    Never ran into that issue. If you would make a small sample project I would be happy to look into it.