Search Unity

setCursor alternative

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by munkbusiness, Feb 4, 2019.

1. munkbusiness

munkbusiness

Hey

I am in the optimizations phase of my game progress. I noticed that whenever I click my cursor, Cursor.setCursor uses around 1/3 of the total CPU time on that single command. I use this command whenever I click to give player feedback by changing the cursor icon for 0.2 seconds.

Code (CSharp):
    1. if(Input.GetMouseButtonDown(0) && CarryoverInfo.Instance.hasPushPower && currentCursor != CurrentCursorEnum.green) {
    2.             Cursor.SetCursor(cursorGreen, hotSpot, cursorMode);
    3.             currentCursor = CurrentCursorEnum.green;
    4.             StartCoroutine(MouseClickChange());
    5. }
    (MouseclickChange is a coroutine that sets the cursor back to default afterwards).

Now 4-8ms here and there isn't an issue, but in my game a player can often click up to 8 times a second, so this introduces a heavy performance issue.

I tried making a object that follows the cursor position instead.

Code (CSharp):
    1. Vector3 mousePos = Input.mousePosition;
    2.         mousePos = Camera.main.ScreenToWorldPoint(mousePos);
    3.         mousePos.z = -30;
    4.         transform.position = mousePos;
    But compared to the previous cursor this selfmade-cursor lags slightly behind and is just less responsive, which is a no go as cursor control is the most important aspect of the game.

Is there another solution for getting click "animations" on the cursor without heavy performance dips?

Image of profiler in build:

When deep profiling in the editor I can see that it is Cursor.SetCursor_Injected( that is the culprit.

I am on 2018.3.2f1

Thanks a lot for your time.

2. beanie4now

beanie4now

This very likely will not be viable based on project type but you could try locking the cursor and setting mouse movement to rotate a head object then just setting a sprite to center of camera screen space.

3. GroZZleR

GroZZleR

Can you turn on deep profiling? I can't replicate anything close to your numbers and I'm changing the cursor every frame.

Code (csharp):
    2.     public sealed class CursorController : MonoBehaviour
    3.    {
    4.        public Texture2D cursor1;
    5.        public Texture2D cursor2;
    7.        private void Update()
    8.        {
    9.            Cursor.SetCursor((Time.frameCount % 2 == 0) ? cursor1 : cursor2, Vector3.zero, CursorMode.Auto);      
    10.        }
    11.    }
    profiler.png

Is your Texture2D properly imported with Cursor settings?

4. munkbusiness

munkbusiness

@beanie4now Haha thanks, but no my cursor needs to move across the screen, so I cannot simply lock it center, on the contrary my character is locked center.

@GroZZleR
    Changed to a strong PC, so numbers are generally lower, but cursor is still hitting hard relatively.

Here is a screenshot:

It is SetCursor_injected as mentioned in my OP that seems to be the problem.

Also pretty sure my cursor settings are correct, but maybe you can spot something: