Search Unity

Set pitch of clip played through OnAudioFilterRead

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by atomtwist, Jul 13, 2014.

1. atomtwist

atomtwist

Hey Everyone.
    I'm playing several audioClips through one AudioSource via OnAudioFilterRead -
    But that also means I loose the ability to set the pitch for each clip.

Does anybody know of a method to set the pitch of a clip that gets played through OnAudioFilterRead??

2. gregzo

gregzo

Implement a resampling algorithm!
    Linear interpolation is the cheap and dirty way to do it, and Unity's way from what my ears tell me.
    You might need to implement a kind of datasource model to handle mixing different sources into one at a variable sample rate.

Or, just get G-Audio which already does all that for you... ;)

Shamelessly,

Gregzo

3. atomtwist

atomtwist

Hey Gregzo.
    Thanks for your reply.

I've actually been thinking about getting G-Audio for a few days now.

I'm currently writing a sequencer in the editor, and on the front end I'm pretty far since I implemented a lot of musical features that I always wanted a sequencer to have. ;-)
    But under the hood I'm starting to run into limitations with what unity can do ( lots of audiosources for one track - not able to schedule pitch & volume changes for a clip precisely, etc.)

From what I understand G-Audio mixes everything through 1 AudioSource?

The reason I'm trying to do it myself now, (apart from wanting to learn about it) is that I want to be able to hook it up easily to the new Unity 5 Mixer.
    I was figuring: one Audiosource per Sequencer Track -> that i then can easily set that to a Mixer channel of my choice.

How will the Unity 5 features impact G-Audio? Will you incorporate the new stuff - or keep it separate?

I think in the in the end I will end up getting G-Audio anyway - since you made so much cool stuff to play with already - but for now I would really like to delve more into how these things are done.

Would you mind sharing a little more detailed, what you talked about in your post?
    (linear resampling algorithm & datasource model etc.)

Greetings,

Atomtwist

4. gregzo

gregzo

You need G-Audio like a zombie needs flesh. Get, must get, now...

Lots to say, onwards!

Awesome project. And yes, AudioSource/AudioClip is quite limited outside of positional audio. That's why I made G-Audio. Perhaps we could envisage a common project? We can PM if you're interested in talking about it. As it stands, implementing a sequencer in G-Audio is actually quite straightforward: you can play chunks of data, set start and end playback position, fades, and lots more.

Well, every G-Audio Player mixes everything through one AudioSource, which ceases to act as one( it's simply an access point to the audio buffer ). I do support multiple players, which may be useful in certain cases, but in general all can be done through a unique player.

Looking forward to 5 very much. G-Audio won't need to do as much mixing ( still a little, as AudioSources really are a pain for non-positional audio and WILL still stick around ). It'll benefit us greatly, I think.

I wouldn't, but time is scarce! Look up linear interpolation resampling on google, you'll find it. It's a way of interpolating samples to change sample rate. It's not the most sophisticated, but is fast and ok for quick and dirty realtime use.
    About the datasource pattern: if you are simultaneously pitch shifting multiple sources of different length, it can become quite the nightmare. The datasource pattern, in that case, could be implemented in such a way that the mixer asks every source of data ( audio data containers ) to provide a certain amount of data at a certain sample rate. The datasource obliges, or signals eof or error. Keeps things nice and tidy!

Cheers,

Gregzo