Search Unity

Set our own PM Defaults

Discussion in 'Package Manager' started by Sun-Dog, May 7, 2019.

1. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

My apologies if there is a known answer, but I can't find it.

Is there a way that we can set our set of packages to be installed by default?

Currently there's a lot of rubbish that gets installed that I know I won't use in a project, especially: Ads and In App Purchasing. I have to remove these every time.

Can I set my own preferences?

Hypertectonic likes this.
  2. maximeb_unity

maximeb_unity

Unity Technologies

Hi @Sun-Dog,

The default set of packages is currently determined by the template you use to create a project and the default set for the given Unity Editor. Unfortunately it is currently not possible to change that set, but we are working on improving these functionalities to minimize the number of packages "forced" on you and to allow custom user templates.

I can't provide an ETA yet for the above, but I can suggest a workaround. You can create a new project with the template of your choice, then adjust it as needed before backing up the "Packages/manifest.json" file. When you create a new project, you can overwrite the manifest.json with the backed up manifest. Keep in mind that this file is specific to a given Editor version; it could reference packages not compatible with newer or older Editor versions, for instance.

3. Sun-Dog

Sun-Dog

Ah - Interesting. I'd been investigating the Package Manager rather than the HUB.

Thanks for the information! And the quick reply!

maximeb_unity likes this.