Search Unity

Set Builder: NEW YORK In Production And The chance To Win It

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tlc indie, Aug 9, 2013.

?

What Extras Would You Like?

1. Particle And Weather effect

21.7%
  2. Modular Subway

78.3%
  1. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Can't wait to see the final product. When I get some extra cash, I'll probably buy a thing or two from you guys.

2. lancer

lancer

Do you know when the product will be done? And when will it be up for sale?

Also how many people are working on this?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  3. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Great i'm glad you like our work.

We keep adding more props and it seems like its never going to be finished lol.
    We are going to have it submitted by the end of the week and then its down to the asset store team to see when it becomes available

there is only two of us working on this package.

4. lancer

lancer

Thanks

5. drift501

drift501

This keeps gettin better and better. I haven't viewed the thread for a while so I might have missed this but will there be demo scenes included?

I hope I win. I can do some great things with this asset.

6. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

The will be a small demo scene set up with the day and night cycle running :)

The asset will be sent soon but we want it to have good documentation about Set Up/ Performance Optimization and so on
    as we dont want anyone giving us a bad review as people don't really contact our support before commenting :(

7. chelnok

chelnok

I was going to suggest to release it even its not finished, and do few updates later ..but i guess you have a point here. But if you got only polishing i suppose its fine if its clearly notified in description, what is missing and when you think its done.

8. john-essy

john-essy

Holy freeking poop, Night time looks sick!!!!

9. lancer

lancer

Do you know how long it will take for the asset store team to finnish reviewing it?

10. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

You make a very good point.
    As this is an asset we just keep adding to we will release it and then add to it.

We will finish up the documentation and add the future updates into the description.

Once it has sent it should only take a few days but can take longer on rare cases.

11. landon912

landon912

This looks nice! The lighting is very good on the building pictures. ;)

12. Divinux

Divinux

Amazing stuff. The models fantastic, but if I win you can keep those and just teach me how to make a scene look that good instead. The night shots stunned me the most.

13. drift501

drift501

How well can this pack be used with things like hills. Does the game level have to be flat where the city is or is a San Francisco style city possible. When I say San Francisco I mean how the city is essentially on a hill hence lost or rising or falling roads depending on which way your driving.

14. inafield

inafield

Phenomenal. Night and day, I can totally see using this in a game. I haven't read all of the pages, but I hope you go with the modular subway system. I've been replaying Crysis 2 and BF3 and been thinking about multiple (vertical) level games.

15. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Most of the lighting is done using our custom self illumination shader :)

We may run a video tutorial on Modular building creation you can follow our YouTube channel from http://www.youtube.com/user/killer911999555

This package is only good on flat surfaces but we may run a San Francisco asset in the future

The modular subway system is a clear winner and will be added to the asset via an update so people can start building there scenes :)

16. taichiu727

taichiu727

hi tlc,

there is a bug for the beta sign up of your game damned nation, it keeps telling me to verify my email which i did like for 2 times, what is the problem? btw any updates soon :) and i am really excited about the tut, definitely going to watch it :)

17. drift501

drift501

How will the subway system be implimented within the city. Will there be special paths that have staircases going down to subway level or seperate staircase meshes and paths with holes or will you be using a different solution?

18. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

I am aware of the bug i am getting allot of emails about it and we are looking into it.
    all i can suggest is to follow the game the game on IndieDB as all followers get added to the beta list
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/damned-nation

The next update will be when this asset is live on the asset store.

The subway will be added in with paths with entrances placed within the city allowing you to build directly under the city :)

19. lancer

lancer

Sounds Great, Do you have any photos of the subway?

20. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Not just yet will be uploading the asset tonight the we will start work on the first update

21. Aguy

Aguy

Keeps getting better every time I look.
    I might have to take a trip to visit family or something just to see my home.

22. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Please Note

We have had some issues while Uploading Set Builder: New York to the asset store

As the Asset Store Tools package is the only way to a submit packages to the asset store
    we will need to get this fixed

I am currently speaking to Unity to see if there are any ways to fix these issues.

The Big Preview

Online Setup Guide http://www.tlcindie.co.uk/#/sb-new-york/4570874870

The Video (Sorry about the high contrast will get it fixed and audio being replaced)

Well that's nice to hear :)

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  23. lancer

lancer

What issues are you having??

24. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Getting this error

An error occurred during asset upload
    Please retry. Error receiving response from server
    (-1): The object was used after being disposed.

I have reset the PC and Unity
    None of the game objects/ textures are open in external applications and tried uploading from a new scene

But still no luck

25. lancer

lancer

Is your firewall blocking Unity from sending out the stuff?

I know I used to get weird errors and stuff then I realised my firewall was blocking Unity from doing anything with the internet.

26. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

unity is uploading the asset and shows up as uploaded on the publisher admin page
    but fails to when uploading the previews of the asset

i didn't hear back from the asset store today so if it comes to the worst i will have to not release on the asset store but release it on the TLCindie website

27. lancer

lancer

Maybe the previews are bad dimensions, did you use the templates?

28. Cripplette

Cripplette

That is looking good :)

29. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Ok i have got it sent to the asset store :) so should be available by Tuesday/Wednesday and will be announcing the asset winner on release

i had to move the whole project to the desktop

Thank you :)

30. lancer

lancer

Great!!

31. tripknotix

tripknotix

i love this, but because my game is mobile, is there anyway you could attempt to take one of your buildings and bake it into a cube, and if the results are satisfactory (billboards could ofcourse stay seperate). it would be great to see the results.

Also im using a day night system already, it would be great if you just concentrated on the buildings, i'd buy it right now if it was baked as cubes, i have a decent budget for buying low poly building assets even if they arent used right now. especially in the range of $30-40 if it comes with a demo scene that works on mobile. LODs are also great incase you have to have a medium poly version for close up and cubes for far away. =)

32. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Due to the popularity of this asset we are thinking of creating a mobile version
    But that does depend on sales of this asset once its on the store as allot of hours work go into making assets of this scale.

What kind of asset would you be looking for Modular or non modular?

33. xxxDjdogxxx

xxxDjdogxxx

Amazing texture work oh my

34. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

35. lancer

lancer

Modular, it gives people more chance of buying it because there are more possibilities.

36. Kitti_Kat

Kitti_Kat

how do you create these packages so quick the quality is amazing

i just commented on your apocalyptic world series.

37. im

im

looking good

cant wait for its release

also can u do a Miami one :)

thanks in advance

$Miami_Beach_Real_estate.jpg

38. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

We work hard lol

I will take a look at that thread in a bit :)

That is a very good idea and yes we will make it for the next set builder asset :)

39. lancer

lancer

Is it going to be available today?

40. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

I hope so, its down to the asset store to review it.

They should start reviewing assets again soon

41. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Asset store waiting can be quite annoying. T_T

42. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

That's true

Also we speak to other publishers and there has been times were there asset has been reviewed before ours even though ours was sent off days before lol

43. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

The asset store has told us to reduse the size of the package
    to under 1GB so we will be optimizing and batching over the
    next couple of days.

We will send it on Friday night and should hopefully be avalible
    in the middle of next week

Sorry for the dalay forum but this does mean this asset will be even
    more optimized

44. im

im

why not have hires texture as a downloadable zip file that you give buyers access to

45. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

The asset store only allows textures that have been linked to the material :(

But we are doing great and have dropped the size from 1.2GB to 738MB when we have finnised all optimization on the package it should be around 400-500MB so a huge improvement.

also as with the optimization work we have done we have managed to drop the draw calls to around 20% of what it was :)

46. lancer

lancer

How were you able to drop the size that far???

47. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

We batched All of the street props to two Textures and then sharpened the image up so we didn't lose quality

Then we reduced all night time illumination maps for the building faces as illumination map resolutions don't make a huge difference

then we reduced the building face textured while sharpening and enhancing the contrasted so we didn't lose any quality but kept normal maps at the same resolution

the total size of the asset is now 484mb and all we have to do now is re-create the spectacular maps

48. omarzonex

omarzonex

wonderful city cryengine unity3d
    very hard beauty Realistic

49. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank You :)

50. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

We have now finished the file size reduction and submitted the asset and hopefully be available by Wednesday

Also to make up for the wait we have remastered our Set Builder: Back Street Manhattan
    and added it to Set Builder: New York bellow you can find a screen shot of how well we made this fit in with the New York look.

The optimization work

We reduced the file size from 1.2GB to 426MB

We redused the UV island margin to free up texture pixels and and sharpened the textures allow for crisp textures at a lower resolution,

Reduced the size of emission maps as emission only maps light

We batched all street props to 2 textures (this was our biggest file size drop and performance increase)

With these changes we have over have the amount of draw call / better batching / faster load times / less RAM and VRAM requirements and the quality of this pack has not changed.