Search Unity

Set Builder: NEW YORK In Production And The chance To Win It

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tlc indie, Aug 9, 2013.

?

What Extras Would You Like?

1. Particle And Weather effect

21.7%
  2. Modular Subway

78.3%
  1. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank you
    there will we similarities to liberty city as that was also based on New York ( hence liberty city)

The cheat list is not working at the moment an engineer will be looking into it lol

2. TheSchalla

TheSchalla

Whoa, that looks pretty good! Which programm you use for modeling? Blender, 3DS Max or Cinema4D?

3. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

We use Blender for all our assets :)

Props Preview Update

As we wont be able to post an update next week i have uploaded a preview of a few props from the asset
    i have also included close ups to show the quality of the props and the quality to expect.

Remember this is just a selection of props and there is allot more still to be shown :)
    You can also right click on an image and select open in new tab for a larger image

The Screens

4. Aguy

Aguy

Makes me miss being home. Haven't seen the streets of Manhattan in years.
    I don't have any ideas yet for this but if I win it I'll come up with one :)

5. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Again... Wow! This is looking really good! Definitely better than what I can do...

6. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Iv never been to New York but the more research we do the more it makes me want to go lol

Don't put your self down i bet your better than you think ;)

7. xithix

xithix

I live and work in NYC and can attest that these look great, and display an interesting hybrid of various neighborhoods.

The scale of bus stop sign looks off to me - typically the timetable is higher up around eye level and slightly smaller. Here's what I mean: http://tinyurl.com/lo6kdtn

Edit: I hope I win!

8. lancer

lancer

WOW, those props like great!!

9. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Looks amazing as usual.

I hope I win... I'd be oculus rifting the crap out of this. :D
    (I voted for the subway, as it'd be a nice way to finish out the city. Weather is nice, but that can be found elsewhere with little effort.)

10. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank you and thanks for pointing out the bus stop, will get that fixed :)

From the looks of the votes the subway will be a clear winner.

11. lancer

lancer

It's great to see the progress on this, it is just amazing.

I voted for the subway too, I would love to use it in some games when it is made.

12. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thanks we will show another at the end of the week this asset will take a bit longer than usual as we are still adding to the apocalyptic world series.

13. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

Thanks!

14. Aguy

Aguy

Really? Just going off pictures then?

Will there be streets and all that too?

15. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Pictures and Google street view.
    There will be modular roads with paving included in the asset we will also try and add enough assets to create central park too.

16. shkar-noori

shkar-noori

How can we win?

17. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Any one who comments or votes has a chance of winning the asset if you comment and vote you will have more chance. So good luck :)

18. ludiares

ludiares

I must say that this is pretty cool. Well, quite awesome, indeed. But it seems that the props' scale isn't totally correct. I'd say that the bus stop is too tall, and that streets' signs are too low on the lampposts. But anyways, it's looking really great.

19. John-G

John-G

Looking simply fantastic, going to be one lucky winner :)

20. Axtel_Sturnclaw

Axtel_Sturnclaw

What he said!

21. goat

goat

OK, no the reason I asked is while the NYC I have is very nice it's not suited for mobile. Thanks though, you work does look good, particularly the night scene.

22. chrisx84

chrisx84

wow thats alot of work for a contest. looks almost like GTA 4. Good luck to the winners.

23. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

We may make signs modular that way the user will be able to place the sign freely.

lol Thanks :)

This is not just for a contest but also to promote the asset during development ready for release on the unity asset store.

24. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

I do have to say you guys always come up with great stuff. And for what you get (almost everything modular), it's definitely worth the price. T_T I'm just poor as crap. (otherwise, I'd probably have all your asset packages. T_T)

25. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thanks for the kind words.

just to let you know we do asset giveaways on twitter every now and then all you have to do is follow us (TLC Indie) and your in with a chance of getting getting our assets :)

26. Aguy

Aguy

Did I win yet? :)

For someone who hasn't been to Manhattan you really did do a nice job. Showed it to 3 other people and they're waiting for this to be done.

27. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Lol i just replied back to you on one of my outer threads :)

We do allot of research before starting an asset..
    We will announce the winner as soon as this asset is complete
    just got back off holiday so a new preview will be uploaded soon :)

28. LargerEagle

LargerEagle

This is great work!

29. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank you

Small Props are Almost Complete

We have almost finished the small props in this asset there is a total of 35 small assets
    with every thing you will need to populate a New York city street

From tomorrow we will be finish texturing small props and starting work on medium sized props
    Eg: Fire Escapes/ Bill Boards / Shop Signs / Roof Props.

The Last Preview Of Small Props (Some Un-Textured)
    (Next preview will be medium props)

Lager image: https://googledrive.com/host/0BzvcKUV2bmxdSFc4c3ZIYWZmT3M/Assets.png

We Will Also Be Giving Away A Free Origin game Key Tomorrow To A Random person on this thread :) good luck

Last edited: Aug 24, 2013
  30. Archania

Archania

Looking real good. Just remember all the graffiti on the buildings!

31. lancer

lancer

Wow, Those props just look so awesome!!!!

32. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

:)

We will make the building faces look as realistic as possible. we are still not sure if to use overlapping UV's or not

Overlapping UV's = Very high quality textures but no small details like graffiti (No Baked Ambient Occlusion)
    Non overlapping UV's = average quality textures but allot off detail like graffiti and dirt and so on (With Baked Ambient Occlusion)

if anyone would like to put there input in whether or not to use overlapping UV's we will take that into account

33. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

i would go with overlapping uvs.
    add small details as decals.
    ambient occlusion can be baked to vertex colors if the mesh is high res or added as 2nd texture (using a 2nd uv set) – just like the lightmapper does.

lars

34. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

That is what we started with but i have just created a draft building face with non overlapping UV's and by doubling the texture resolution we should be able
    to save on performance without the need for using decals for detail or a second UV set to save on draw calls.

I have uploaded a preview of this building face (Draft).

Large Image https://googledrive.com/host/0BzvcKUV2bmxdSFc4c3ZIYWZmT3M/NoN-Overlap.png

35. lancer

lancer

Are there going to be interiors to the buildings??

36. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Some building will have the option to have interiors :)

37. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

the question is: what does it mean: "doubling the texture size"? 2048x2048 or even 4096*4096?

and:
    * using decals might end up in adding just one single draw call to the whole scene if all decals on all buildings share the same material/texture. quite affordable i think.
    * using a second texture and a second uv to might be rather cheap as well: you will get it anyway in case you use lightmaps (at least the second texture).
    assuming that the 2nd texture is rather small it will consume less bandwith to pass a midres diffuse/spec and normal map plus a low res ambient map plus 2nd uv set than just passing highres diffuse/spec and normal maps and only a single uv set.
    it will be a bit heavier in the pixelshader of course (2 texture lookups plus a multiplication) but that is nothing you should worry about.

i just thought about a comment a read on one of your last assets: not mobile friendly due to large textures…
    that is all,

lars

38. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Ok first of all our mobile assets are not just for mobile But PC as well .
    what you need to realize 90% of comments are only made if a user really likes the asset or really dislikes the asset.
    we have sold allot of that asset this month and continues to sell well even after that comment.
    The comment you are referring to i replied back to saying that the sample scene is created for desktop and uses a shader that allows the user
    to use very high texture resolutions.
    But i also said that there is a mobile texture within the package and the package states its mobile optimized Not mobile ready so some shaders and
    materials will need to be changed.

Also You may have failed to see we have a comment also saying it runs great on mobile and we have had great feedback on the forum thread
    about how well it runs on mobile.

As for this asset what you need to remember this asset is not going to be for mobile platforms and the reason we have chosen to do this is because we
    didn't want any limitations.

We never liked to use overlapping UVs as you end up with a very simple looking asset with tiled textures.
    You can fix big detail with a simple decal but when it comes to small details such as a chips off bricks and color differentials would be allot of work with decals and requires allot of time and effort for the user.

39. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Performance Update

Hay forum

I have created a very complex scene fully rendered with no light-mapping and full real-time lighting
    to show performance and quality.

Game Objects In Scene = 287

Full Screen Post Processing Used

SSAO (High Quality)
    Fast Bloom (High Quality)
    Bloom And Flares (Complex)

Shaders Used

(Coustom) TLC/ Reflective Bumped Secular with illumination
    (Coustom) TLC/ Neon Light ( Transparent with Self illumination )

Large Image: https://googledrive.com/host/0BzvcKUV2bmxdSFc4c3ZIYWZmT3M/Performance.png

Test Rig:

GPU: GTX 650 Ti 2GB (Mid Range)
    CPU: AMD FX-4100 (Mid Range)
    RAM: Corsair 8.00GB (Top Range)

Origin Key Giveaway Winner

Origin Key Giveaway Winner Is Overx you key will be in your PM inbox :) enjoy you free command and conquer 3 red alert uprising

We will be giving away another key tomorrow, Good Luck To All

40. taichiu727

taichiu727

this is very nice! can you maybe make a tut on how to make buildings? I have been modelling small props and weapons. But i want to learn how to model as well as you :)

41. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank you

Buildings are probably the easiest thing to model as an average building face only contains around 150 tris and can take under 10 mins to create as Most of the detail is done via textures witch can take up to 2 hours for Diffuse/Specular Map/Normals.

But a YouTube tutorial would be an idea but wont be able to do it for a while as all our time is used creating this asset and the Apocalyptic World series.

42. lancer

lancer

Wow, Just Wow!!!

43. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

unfortunately you got me totally wrong.
    citing a comment from the asset store does not mean that i share the author’s opinion.
    you asked which way you should go and i simply wrote down some thoughts. i am sorry if those look like criticism on your other packages.

hmm, i doubt that this is the whole truth. i can see your point but i think a good mixture of tiling textures and some very unique parts (plus some decals) is a proper attempt to save texture memory and avoid boring texturing. and do not forget vertex colors.

nevertheless, your scene looks great, well done!
    (although 305 MB of textures is 1.2 x of my vram…)

lars

44. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

i do agree about using vertex colors but we are saving the use of vertex colors for a later update that we have planed ;)

We always do allot of research and allot of testing and optimizing during the creation of an asset

During our research we looked at the most used PC hardware among gamers and only 7.76% of gamers are using 256mb VRAM or below
    and over 70% of gamers are using 1024mb or above

Also we always work with High resolution Textures but we always half the texture resolutions to make sure it still look great
    so this asset will look good at half texture resolution :)

45. kangeburu

kangeburu

you have no idea how far ahead this would set my project and how perfect it is x.x hope I win :3 knowing my luck im too late x.x looks great

46. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

You aren't too late as the asset pack isn't finished, and they said it will be given away when it's finished. :D

That said :p I hope I win and not you.

Now, the only other thing I have to say is to the creators. O-o why not screenshot with Antialiasing? T_T I hate the jaggies.

EDIT:
    Also, in that last pic of the building at night has a really odd feeling FOV to me. O-o Did you change it from default to fit the building?

47. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Day and Night Cycle Features

Adjustable cycle speed (Over time)
    Automatically changes Global fog and Fog render to match the in game time.
    Automatically switches the directional lights used for correct lighting.
    Cycles though sky-boxes to match the in game time.
    Automatically switch on and off any light that has a specific Tag. Eg, Street Lights

Estimated release date and price

We are very close to finishing this asset as we only have a few more assets to texture and the subway to complete.
    The asset should be available from the middle of next week maybe even the end of this week if were lucky.

When pricing this asset we took into account the amount of work and size / affordability for the user as we like to keep our prices low
    With all that we have priced this asset at 50 USD

This is the last screen we will show
    (Unless there is demand for another update)

Day Scene

https://googledrive.com/host/0BzvcKUV2bmxdSFc4c3ZIYWZmT3M/Days.png

Day Scene

https://googledrive.com/host/0BzvcKUV2bmxdSFc4c3ZIYWZmT3M/Nights.png

Every one has the same chance of winning the asset and is not effected by post or vote time :)

The image was using the default 60 degree FOV and may look odd because the angle of the camera

We are not using Antialiasing as we are running in Deferred Lighting for shadows and image effect Antialiasing don't look great to say the least :(

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  48. lancer

lancer

That look wonderful, but unfortunately I don't think i'll be able to buy it :( I probably won't have enough money to when it is done.

49. houndie

houndie

Been watching this thread with great interest and have to say that this is an amazing piece of work, I can only imagine the effort put into this and the ideas on how to use it are rolling through my mind!!

Cannot wait till it's available that's for sure :)

50. Tlc indie

Tlc indie

Thank for the kind word.

It has been a lot of work but we are very happy with how its turning out and will hopefully see some great stuff come from this asset :)