Search Unity

SESSAO (High-Quality SSAO w/ Color-Bleed)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by sonicether, May 4, 2015.

1. sonicether

sonicether

I'm going to try to support it for a reasonable amount of time. Right now I'm working on updating my assets to Unity 5.5, starting with SEGI. I'll move on to SESSAO when I'm done with that.

RB_lashman likes this.
  2. IGameArt

IGameArt

Am I the only one so far who's come across this issue? I followed the guide to the T and am getting very strange results:

No occlusion here at all, instead all my faces are shaded with what appears to be normal data mixed with the color bleed effect. What else am I missing?

3. sonicether

sonicether

What version of Unity are you experiencing this problem with? In Unity 5.5, the depth buffer is inverted in DirectX mode, which requires some changes to post process effects that utilize the depth buffer to work properly. I’ve just finished updating another one of my assets to be compatible with this change, and I’m going to update SESSAO next.

So, if you’re using Unity 5.5, this is likely the cause of your issues (though you may want to adjust the Radius property as well, since very low values can cause problems). It’ll probably be about a week before I’m able to finish updating SESSAO and Unity approves the update.

RB_lashman likes this.
  4. IGameArt

IGameArt

I managed to go into the shader and flip the depth results and basically just solved the problem, though i did have to remove a line that basically reduced the effect in my scene to nearly unnoticeable levels on lighter colored objects. Btw would it be difficult to reduce the effect up close to the camera?

RB_lashman likes this.
  5. sonicether

sonicether

In pass 0 and pass 1 of the shader, you can use -origin.z as a depth value for modulating either the radius or the strength of the AO.

RB_lashman likes this.
  6. sonicether

sonicether

For anyone who needs to get this working in Unity 5.5 or newer and doesn't want to wait for the update to be available on the Asset Store, you can make this change to SESSAO.shader to get it working:

And, for copy-paste convenience:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. #if defined(UNITY_REVERSED_Z)
    2.     depth = 1.0 - depth;
    3. #endif

7. Seith

Seith

Thank you very much for that code snippet, Cody!

RB_lashman likes this.
  8. sonicether

sonicether

Alright guys, I've finished updating SESSAO. The main new feature here is "Ambient Only" blending mode, which allows SSAO to only be applied to ambient light when HDR and Deferred rendering are enabled.

I've now depreciated the old version, and submitted the new version (which is now free). I'll let you guys know when that gets approved.

If you purchased SESSAO before it was free, you'll be able to get SE Screen-Space Shadows for 50% off. Additionally, if you purchased SESSAO within the past 90 days, you can get SE Screen-Space shadows for free!

This is my first time using this "upgrade packages" feature on the Asset Store, so please let me know if everything is working correctly!

9. Olafson

Olafson

performance is still the same?

RB_lashman likes this.
  10. sonicether

sonicether

Hi everyone. So, I've been in contact with the Asset Store and unfortunately it looks like the way that I was planning on offering this discount isn't going to work; the Asset Store doesn't support "cross upgrading" the way I had hoped. Perhaps someone knows something that I don't. If that's the case, please let me know, I'm open to suggestions.

RB_lashman likes this.
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Sonic Ether, I've been trying to contact you 4 times in different ways for the past few months concerning support questions but I got no response. How can I reach you besides posting in this public forum?

RB_lashman likes this.
  12. hopeful

hopeful

I've noticed the asset store seems to discourage using the cross upgrade, but you can see people using it in the store.

Can you outline again your plans and why the store refused?

RB_lashman likes this.
  13. chiapet1021

chiapet1021

One thing I've noticed with cross-upgrades that I find annoying is the asset reviews spill over between different assets. For the brief time that SESSAO and SESSS were linked, you could see the SESSAO reviews on the SESSS page. That makes using reviews to decide whether to buy an asset rather confusing, and I'm not sure why Unity has not yet resolved that issue.

hopeful and RB_lashman like this.
  14. sonicether

sonicether

Yep, this is the main problem I ran into, and it's a pretty major problem because it doesn't make sense to see reviews of a completely unrelated asset on the store page for SE Screen-Space Shadows. I emailed the Unity Asset Store about this specifically and they said that this cannot be disabled and they don't support using upgrades in that manner. And, I can't circumvent this by, for example, having people provide proof of purchase and then distributing copies of SE Screen-Space shadows outside the asset store, as this would violate the Asset Store Publisher Agreement.

I really don't know what to do.

RB_lashman likes this.
  15. hopeful

hopeful

Here's a thought ... maybe not a great idea, but ... ;)

Go back to the idea of the $1 cross-upgrade from SESSAO for a limited time only. Yes, the reviews from the one asset would go to the other one, but only temporarily (until this promotion ends), if I'm understanding the situation properly. Once the $1 upgrade period is over, the cross-upgrade is discontinued, and the reviews associated with SESSAO disappear from the SESSS product.

The main issue with this method, as I see it, is trying to contact SESSAO owners to let them know about the limited time offer, because you want this to be a one-and-done thing that gets as many customers as possible satisfied in a reasonably short period.

The secondary issue is with the crossed reviews for a period of time, but this situation can be explained in the product info. (And this can, in fact, be another way of letting customers know about the upgrade.)

Skyfly and RB_lashman like this.
  16. OnlyVR

OnlyVR

Hi Sonic,
    Is there any update?

RB_lashman likes this.
  17. Skyfly

Skyfly

Any news?

RB_lashman likes this.
  18. sxa

sxa

Its been about two months since this was posted, but I cant seem to find this new version. Has this actually happened?

(And Im asking as someone who paid for it... not just after a freebie)

KWaldt, Skyfly and RB_lashman like this.
  19. The_Arrival

The_Arrival

i bump this. I´m still waiting for this Asset to be re-released on the Asset store. If it´s free or if it has a pricetag doesn´t matter.
    If it will NOT come back for sure, please just let us know

RB_lashman likes this.
  20. Skyfly

Skyfly

News? Bump?

RB_lashman likes this.
  21. fildax

fildax

Also waiting for this one to come back.

22. Frpmta

Frpmta

Bump!

23. helgewt

helgewt

Last edited: May 24, 2017
    RB_lashman likes this.
  24. droni

droni

can I get my hands on this asset somehow?

RB_lashman likes this.