Search Unity

SERVER

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by talerz04, Dec 27, 2018.

1. talerz04

talerz04

Hi,
    I have question. Can I use web serwer to hosting my game. If not when I can find free server to computer game?

2. Joe-Censored

Joe-Censored

Web servers can be used to host WebGL builds of your game for play within the browser, or of course can be used to download platform specific builds.

Schneider21 likes this.
  3. Schneider21

Schneider21

Joe's answer is correct, of course, if you're talking about hosting the game for download. If you mean hosting games in a client-server sort of way, as in multiplayer games, it's a bit more complicated than that. The short answer of that question is "Yes, but if you're not a seasoned developer, stay far, far away, and stick with platform APIs or P2P networking instead."

Joe-Censored likes this.
  4. Deleted User

Deleted User

When you say platform APIs, do you mean multiplayer on the same computer?
    P2P would mean a 2 player game?

5. Schneider21

Schneider21

That would be using Apple's GameKit API, or Google Play Games. These APIs handle a lot of the networking stuff for you. Steam has something like it as well, I imagine, but that's outside of my expertise.

Peer-to-peer (P2P) would mean connecting two or more clients together where one of them acts as the host. Again, this is something I don't have a lot of experience with, but from what I understand, it's at least easier than running your own servers.