Search Unity

Server Online

Discussion in 'FPS.Sample Game' started by IanHonorato, Dec 10, 2019.

1. IanHonorato

IanHonorato

Hello everyone
    I wonder if there is a possibility to host an fps sample server as it is now, to play with other people outside a Lan network?

thank you for your attention

2. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

Yes you can, however, I don't believe it will populate via the ingame server browser. So you will need to have each of your clients, add your host's IP directly and join on that.

To populate on the in-game server browser, you would need to provide and work out a way to keep a server listing at a central location (your website) and send that server list out via your game. There are some easy HTTP grabs you can do with unity, and watch youtube tuts on by codemonkey (images) to get some ideas. This should be the lowest possible multiplayer hosting solution for an indy, just hosting the server lists.

You will also need to be sure the correct ports are open on your host server/system's firewall, to allow incoming connections. If you dig through the code, you can find the default ports and also switches needed to set custom ones.

Client's will have full admin rights from the client console, so if you wanted to release a mod to this sample, you would want to modify the console commands and implement some way to allow or fully disable some of the commands. So clients would not be able to change or unload levels, etc.

Good Luck, Have fun
    Micah

3. IanHonorato

IanHonorato

Thanks for the clarification @AggressiveMastery

The first would be this first case, a server for testing with known clients, just to see how it works online and facilitate testing with more players simultaneously.

Do I need to change something on the server to make it possible?

4. AggressiveMastery

AggressiveMastery

You just need to be sure your server (the windows system) has its network open on the correct ports, through the firewall, out to the public internet.

Then you can have your clients join directly via IP