Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Serious Issue: Unity cannot build IOS at all due to Apple new storyboard + arm64 requirements

Discussion in 'iOS and tvOS' started by qmpaden, Jul 2, 2020.

1. qmpaden

qmpaden

IOS build not working with almost all Unity versions now due to Apple's new launch screen restriction and sudden depreciation of all previous app Splash screens and 32bit builds is really really really bad for mobile developers, like insanely incredibly bad.

I really hope for a fast fix from Unity, as of today due to this new set of Apple launchscreen requirements you can't build on IOS anymore quickly like before in Unity without digging deep into XCODE after every single build to manually create, specifically link, and compile bundle assets and a launchscreen.storyboard asset.

For Mobile developers like me who are new to XCODE, but not new to Unity, this is a terrifying and scary time.

This error happens to me as well. I cannot build in 2019.4 LTS below due to Launchscreen.storyboard errors and with all 2020 versions my builds fail due to unity framwork error with the new metal implementation on older 2018 mac machines.

Due to Apple splashscreen depriciation unity ios builds 2019.4 and other versions now do not work. Right now all Unity Developers cannot submit updates in IOS due to Apple's strict new Launchscreen.storyboard requirements for all apps destroying Unitys previous ios build system.

At the moment unity does not build ios apps with launch screens by default even when going into Player Settings and adding the custom storyboard into your assets with storyboard images in streamingassets folder with post build scripts, instead the build crashes on launch with SplashScreen.mm giving errors and builds structure keeps defaulting to linking depreciated SpashScreen.mm unity ios launch logo implementation and not new xcode custom Launchscreen.storyboard in 2019.4 LTS and below.

2. qmpaden

qmpaden

IOS App Xcode Debug Crash Logs with Apps Built in 2019.4 and below all show this:

Assertion failure in -[SplashScreen createUI], Classes/UI/SplashScreen.mm:42
    Uncaught exception: NSInternalInconsistencyException: no storyboard/xib was provided.

3. qmpaden

qmpaden

Unfortunately still unable to build on IOS due to SplashScreen.mm and LaunchImage.launchimage directory not being linked on IOS build in Unity.

Was using a Macbook with Catalina with Xcode before there WWDC updates, will be testing on a different Mac with updated Xcode in new version of Catalina to try to troubleshoot this in updated new XCode so we can build successfully before the end of the month.

We've been trying to build for IOS on the default SampleScene for about 2 weeks and we keep getting SplashScreen.mm errors and LaunchImage.launchimage errors with the Storyboard file not being properly built there.

I've updated to the latest 2019.4.4f1 LTS fix made this week and the issue is still present.

Is anyone else running into this or just me? Feels like hell tbh I wasnt expecting Apple to **** us up like this man.

4. Alexey

Alexey

Unity Technologies

This should definitely work. Can you please bug report with repro project?

5. arqllc

arqllc

Is there something new about this issue?

6. gavinb80

gavinb80

What issue are you having ?

I am able to compile and run Unity game with 2019.4.6f1 using both standard Xcode and the current Xcode beta and they run on my devices without issue

7. AymenBF

AymenBF

Anything new on this issue

8. fullcorder

fullcorder

Hello.
    I'd like to share a workaround.
    I had the same error, but I think there is something wrong with Splash's code around xib, so I changed Splash's options to something other than CustomXIB (e.g. Default) and the error was avoided.

9. MikaelFinsrud

MikaelFinsrud

Hey! A bit late to this thread, but I got the same error. For me, the solution was simple: The "Launchscreen.Storyboard" files weren't detected by Xcode, all I did was to remove the ".xml" from "Launchscreen-iPhone.storyboard.xml" and "Launchscreen-iPad.storyboard.xml" files, so they would only be "Launchscreen-iPhone.storyboard" and "Launchscreen-iPad.storyboard". Be sure to clean the build folder or start a new Xcode project after you rename the files, I renamed them before I even opened the Xcode files and it worked perfectly right away.

10. osdima1

osdima1

Guys has anyone managed to solve it? Its so annoying. Cant build my project.

Attached Files:

11. rikodesign

rikodesign

Check "Launch screen interface file base name" and "UILaunchStoryboardName~iphone" in infoplist.