Search Unity

Serious games for chemistry

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by ghislain, Jan 25, 2009.

1. ghislain

ghislain

Hi all,
    After several years of Flash development for college-level chemistry, I'm on a search for the next insanely great thing ... which brings me here.

Do you know of any Unity-based games for science ed?
    Also, can you point me to some examples of different gaming experiences? I'm not really looking for a first-person shooter but for other interactive environments that may be conducive to teaching organic chemistry, drug design, and other fun stuff. Thank you!

Best,

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

3. drJones

drJones

4. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

Cassie 3D

The above is a visualization of information related to the Cassini satellite in orbit around Saturn. And while I don't have a web link to share I know that others are using Unity in the education space as well. For example, I did a two-day training with instructors from University of California at Davis so they could use Unity to make plant gene research simulations for their students.

So yeah, it's definitely possible!

5. Caramel

Caramel

As a former teacher I'm interested in using 3D games for teaching as well as entertainment and have been developing a prototype of a chemistry-based game designed to foster an interest in chemistry, rather than teach a specific set of learning goals.

Basically the player has to collect atoms from within various spaces and use them to construct required molecular forms in order to fulfil a set of missions which are provided by the game story and its context.

I wanted to create a game where the learning was implicit within the game's core mechanics, rather than tacked on to a generic game's challenge/reward cycle. I also wanted the game to have a narrative structure and for it to reward player creativity.

So the game is not Unity-based (although the next iteration should be) and focuses on a younger age group than the one you are interested in, but I thought you may be interested in viewing another approach to game-based chemistry learning.

The prototype website is up at http://www.atomic-game.com/. The demo is a work-in-progress so unfortunately doesn't include the construction mechanic, but hopefully you'll get a feel of the game.

Dan

6. lesfundi

lesfundi

hi

you should loo into making this "course content" on the iphone.
    I did now several projects on the iphone with the unity engine.
    If you are interested we could meet and see what you need in
    a workshop/coding to get setup for your unity chemistry project.
    And maybe see if you can port this as course content to the iphone/itouch
    so you could sell it in the itunes store

carl callewaert