Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Serialization] Sometimes asset mappings are lost on other machines, Unity restart needed

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Tuni, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Tuni

Tuni

Hi,

we have 5 people who work with Unity. We are using Plastic SCM for version control. Since january we have sometimes the problem that asset mappings are lost on other machines after an update fetched from the version control (for example a scriptable objects holds mappings to prefabs and sprites, these mappins are set to null on the other machine).

The changes are there when user restarts Unity without changing the asset. So we believe that this is not a problem with Plastic SCM alone but with Unity? Because the data is there, Unity just don't deserialize it correctly after an update.

We were not able to create a reproducable test case for this behaviour. It happens sometimes multiple times a day, sometimes just once every few days.

Has someone else a problem with this? This problem is really annoying.

Greetings

Tim

2. MSplitz-PsychoK

MSplitz-PsychoK

I've seen this a couple times, but I've never run into it as regularly as you. I suggest checking to make sure your Library and Temp folders are excluded from source control, while meta files are included. I also suggest verifying that a locally edited meta file doesn't get overwritten by source control while you're editing related scenes or prefabs.

Library file issues and meta file issues are usually the culprit behind messed-up references in the inspector.

3. Tuni

Tuni

Thank you for your answer.

We have excluded the Library and Temp folder in an ignore file. I'll try to post the files when this happens again in the future.