Search Unity

Serial reciprocal following on Twitter : what's the point ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by manutoo, Aug 11, 2015.

1. manutoo

manutoo

Hello,

I have been using a bit Twitter for many years, but just lately I tried to be a bit more marketing wise by using tags in my tweets. (like #indiegame )

It made me discover Indie developers who follow about as much as people as they have followers, often in the thousands of people.

Some of them started to follow me ; I didn't follow them back, and a few days later they stopped following me. I guess all that is more or less automatised with some Twitter Bot.

Here my question:

What's the point of these massive reciprocal followings ?!?

When I see profiles like that, it doesn't look much impressive ; ie: if they do that to look serious & important, that's a big fail.

And I can't see any other reason, but I'm sure something is escaping me..! :)

2. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Agree. I started with adding people, but in the end I just ended up with a feed that was being updated several posts are a time, and im only following like 70-80 ppl. If it were 1000's, the noise would make it completely pointless.

Sure if you have a huge following, your post might get through the noise, but tbh, thats all twitter seems to be... noise.

Ony likes this.
  3. minionnz

minionnz

You mean like 10,000 followers, 10,000 following? (ie: almost 1:1 ratio)

The general idea behind it is, the more people you follow, the more people will follow you. Like a thanks system.
    The more followers you have, the more popular/authoritative you appear to be - especially if you gradually start unfollowing people which increases your follower:following ratio..

Since it's easier to click a "Follow" button than to tweet good content, it's probably the easiest way of building up your follower count (Doesn't mean it's the best though)

4. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Seems about right to me

theANMATOR2b and LaneFox like this.
  5. LaneFox

LaneFox

It happens in every social network, the difference with twitter is it shows how many people you are following instead of just how many people are following you - or how many 'friends' you have.

The only way to get a real substantial follower base is to regularly post good content. Follow-trains are dead ends, there is no reason to follow people that you aren't interested in hearing what they have to say at random times during the day. Like when they post annoying opinionated things about current events and their personal life, such as what they're eating for breakfast and how that affects humanity's culture.

6. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape Moderator

I don't do all the bot nonsense or whatever. I'd rather people follow me because they're keeping tabs on what sneaky industry nonsense I might spout from time to time, not because it's a pointless exchange.

Ony likes this.