Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sequence recorder

Discussion in 'Virtual Production Previews' started by GeniusKoala, May 10, 2021.

1. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hey!

First of all thank you to let us getting access to this amazing little project, it's super cute! I love it! I am thrilled to learn how it works.

I tried to record a shot from the timeline but failed. The sound was not synchronized with the video. Then I read the documentation about the section "Exporting a video" and followed the step but the same problem happens. I don't know if this is an issue already seen by your team or if I got wrong.

I tried to record the S00 with the "Movie_MP4" and the "Movie_AppleProres".

When I recorded once the shot, the sound was not playing anymore from the Timeline. I restarted Unity and it fixed this problem (this problem never happened again).

I am using Unity 2020.3.5f1 and did not update any package.

2. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Hi! Thanks for your message.

I couldn't reproduce your problem. I'm on 2020.3.2f1.

How did you set up your first recording from the timeline? By adding a Recorder Track to S00? I just tried that and it is properly synced. How out of sync was the problem?

Note that when you are recording to a file, the audio will be rerouted from your sound card to the file, so you will not hear the audio as it is being recorded.

I'd love to have more detailed repro steps for the problem if you can.

Thanks

3. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Hey, sure!

Maybe I should say I created a new HDRP project and import the Cinematic Sample package from the package manager (I chose Open from the Asset Store and it listed it in the package manager).

Yes I tried from the Timeline first with a recorder track and a recorder clip with basic MP4 profile :

upload_2021-5-11_9-17-19.png

upload_2021-5-11_9-17-34.png

I just start Play in the Editor and it starts the timeline automatically with a 1 second delay due to the WaitOnStartup component on the MICH-L_Cinematic GameObject.

Then I saw it was not working (sound faster than images problem) and I read the documentation. I saw there was a section for recording so I followed the steps :

upload_2021-5-11_9-20-29.png

View attachment 851840

upload_2021-5-11_9-22-20.png

But the result was the same. The audio runs faster than the images (or maybe the images run slower, the sound ends). I confirm that the sound is muted during the recording and goes back when it's done while still playing the timeline.

It's a new problem for me since I did not have this problem on other productions I worked on. It's not the first time I work with timeline and recorder.

Here is the recorder file (same result either from timeline or from the documentation steps) : https://we.tl/t-42t1E10VQL

Thank you!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  4. g4ma

g4ma

Hello! Could you please have a look at the "Director update mode" property on the main Playable Director component?
    It is recommended to set it on "GameTime" for recording.

5. GeniusKoala

GeniusKoala

Oooh that's exactly the solution! It was set on DSP Clock by default (I don't think I changed it). Thank youuuu!

6. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Thanks for figuring this out @g4ma!
    Indeed, the Playable Director must follow GameTime, otherwise such issues can occur.
    I followed your steps @GeniusKoala but I had GameTime set by default, not DSP Clock, so it really looks like something changed in your project.

We are aware of the DSP clock issues and are investigating it. Regards

GeniusKoala likes this.
  7. FutureWang

FutureWang

@unitybru
    Hi:
    I have some problems using the recorder too.
    To output AOV_Depth, the output image is black(with nothing).It works only when the object is near the camera.
    To output Alembic Clip, I found terrain does not exist in abc file.I think it is very useful for output the terrain to make effect in houdini.

8. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

This sounds like you are expecting objects outside outside the camera frustum to appear.
    Are the items visible to the GameView camera?
    Please send screenshots of the Editor/GameView and your Recorder Window settings.

9. FutureWang

FutureWang

this is my Recorder Window settings.
    upload_2021-6-11_15-48-15.png

The up image is depth,down is GameView.
    Sc01 depth is wrong, but Sc02 is right! It looks like a near object can be written in.
    upload_2021-6-11_15-52-7.png

Attached Files:

10. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

Your depth is correct, there is just a lot of distance between the camera and the object. I played with the levels in image editing software and got this:
    upload_2021-6-14_13-6-1.png

11. FutureWang

FutureWang

Thank you for your answer. I got this too. Sorry there is another problem, the ground is a plane, but the color is not smooth enough to use this to do the next work( like using software "nuke"). Is there any way to make it smoother?

12. kudamuchi

kudamuchi

Hi l have an idea for the future versions of the Sequence please find attached the image Oh awesome job : ) l love this tool

Attached Files:

marief_unity and marc_tanenbaum like this.
  13. unitybru

unitybru

Unity Technologies

The ground is not a plane, it's a curved surface.
    Maybe you should modify the scene to match what you expect?

upload_2021-7-5_12-45-50.png