Search Unity

Separating Revit Door panels from the Jamb

Discussion in 'Unity Reflect' started by dandeery, Oct 27, 2020.

1. dandeery

dandeery

I have brought a Revit model into Unity via Reflect. The problem is the door and the Jamb come in as 1 object and there doesn't appear to be any way to separate them as they are a family in Revit.

Anybody know of a work around for this issue.

The only thing I can think of is to bring them into 3DS MAX and separate them then FBX them into Unity. But this defeats the purpose of Reflect as I'll lose all metadata.

2. mika_leonard

mika_leonard

Unity Technologies

Hi,
    It comes as a single object in Unity because it was modelled as such in Revit. The workaround currently is to split the family in Revit

3. dandeery

dandeery

Thanks for your reply.

But that's not really a practical solution. As you can't split a door in Revit. A single door would have to be made up of two families. One for the frame & one for the panel. A double door would have to be 3 families one for the frame and 2 for each door panel.

This would mess up the metadata and make modelling a nightmare.

The only other work around I can see is to bring the model in with the door panels turned off in the visibility graphics. Then bring the model in a second time with just the door panels on and everything else off. But there would still be an issue with double doors. You would also have additional metadata.

What I want to avoid is changing the original BIM model as this model could be constantly changing by the architectural team

How do other people handle this issue?

4. mika_leonard

mika_leonard

Unity Technologies

This has been raised several times by users who want to animate doors, windows and equipment but we haven't addressed it yet.

There's another workaround actually: if you have access to Navisworks, you could open your Revit in Navisworks, then publish it from there. The families will be fragmented once in the editor. Since Navisworks exports are much slower, I wouldn't advise doing this for a very large model, unless you have a couple of hours (possibly days) to spare.

5. dandeery

dandeery

Thanks Mika

The only other issue with the Navisworks workaround is that you will lose Metadata

6. mika_leonard

mika_leonard

Unity Technologies

The Revit metadata is not lost, it's just attached to the parent object, in this case the door family (see attached). Obviously, the handle or the door framing won't have specific metadata since those would just be geometry even in Revit (in most cases anyways). You could retrieve the parent object's metadata and you use that for all the sub elements

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  7. dandeery

dandeery

Thank you. I'll play with that

8. dandeery

dandeery

Just an update. The Navisworks work around works for single doors but not for double doors

9. dandeery

dandeery

When I import from Navisworks I lose my door frames in Reflect. See attached images Navisworks_With Frame.PNG

Attached Files:

10. mika_leonard

mika_leonard

Unity Technologies

That's weird. Does this happen to all your door frames or only this specific family? Can you share the family so that I can have a look at it?

11. dandeery

dandeery

Hi Mika

I have tried to upload the family but the site wont let me it says it's not the correct file type.
    The only work around I could use was to bring the doors into 3DS max. As Navisworks doesn't separate the double doors. Also the door handles are not part of the door when you go through Navisworks

12. mika_leonard

mika_leonard

Unity Technologies

Hi,

Even if it doesn't appear separated in Navisworks, the object might be further broken down into meshes and fragments once published in the editor. The object subcomponents you'll see in the editor will be more detailed than the navisworks object hierarchy.

You could upload the door file on a drive and invite me, or email it to me: michael.leonard@unity3d.com

Thanks