Search Unity

Separate data.unity3d for update

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Krytecks, Nov 27, 2018.

1. Krytecks

Krytecks

Hello :)

I would like to know if there was a way to separate the data present in data.unity3d in order to avoid people having to re-download it completely with each update? :eek:

I don't know what else to do, currently I put all the files of my build on an FTP, and I analyze the files according to the current version of the game and I make the difference with those present on the client ( with a custom launcher made in C# ). The problem is that data.unity3d is always different, and it weighs more than 500Mo which is not very fun to download ... Is there something I forget? :oops:

Thank you for your help and advices ! :D

2. Murgilod

Murgilod

No, you can not do this. I have been asking for a proper delta update system for years but nobody cares.

Ryiah and Kiwasi like this.
  3. Krytecks

Krytecks

Oh :(
    But what exactly does this file contain ?

4. angrypenguin likes this.
  5. Kiwasi

Kiwasi

Push as many files out of Unity as you can. Move all of your assets to asset bundles. Move all of your data out into text files. With care, you can update most of your game without needing to rebuild the core.

6. Krytecks

Krytecks

I need to put my files in a special folder ? For now i put most of things in Standard Assets :confused:

7. Krytecks

Krytecks

It seems AssetBundles can do the job, i will try it asap ;)

angrypenguin likes this.
  8. Krytecks

Krytecks

So i tried AssetBundles and AddressableAssets, build time was so much longer and did not reduce size of the file data.unity3d ... i think im not using it right but there is not a lot of tutorials and they are not really simple to understand :oops:

9. Well, you need to put your assets into separate AssetBundles. But you have to keep in mind that Unity can't magically make your data size shrink. If you put 5Gb of assets in the application, they will have to deliver 5Gb of assets. If you break down into pieces, it will be a little bit more due to overhead, but you can deliver the separate bundles one by one whenever and wherever it's needed.

10. Krytecks

Krytecks

It add some other files ( build goes from 1Go to 4Go ... ) but data.unity3d stay the same ...
    I think i miss something or i'm not doing it right, i will try more things tonight :confused: