Search Unity

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    yep . integration is still on my cards ... and I count on you for beta ....

Soon I will share new progresses .. . .

Arkade likes this.
  2. virror

virror

Looking forward to this!

antoripa likes this.
  3. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Hey GAIA Army here ;)
    Your asset looks really promising I have two questions:

1. I suppose you can change the "asphalt road" texture with any other texture? I am working on a medieval game, so I would replace the asphalt road with a more stony texture to get a walking road in my terrain.
    2. Besides creating rivers and roads, is it possible to also create cliff ways? Something like that?

Ramp Brush offers this feature. Just to know if I also could use your asset for this or I should stick to another solution for that.

Looking forward for more informations.

Thanks a lot
    Ronny

4. GuinUK

GuinUK

Another member of the Gaia army here too

I was wondering the same. I need a cobble effect for the olde worldy side of my world and wondered how easily the textures could be changed.

I've just read the whole thread - looks great by the way

5. evilangel89

evilangel89

Another member of the Gaia army here xD I've been doing very different stuff to get roads in place and I can't stress enough how cool your tool looks! I will be one of the first to buy ^_^b Really glad this is coming. No pressure but do you have an ETA and probably a price too ? Just want to make sure I collect early ;)

antoripa likes this.
  6. antoripa

antoripa

Hey Ronny ....
    sorry for my late reply . .I did not get any notification from the forum ....
    I can say "YES" to your two question....
    Sentieri has a detalied setting to choise your material .. you have 3 options ..
    1) Texture ( Albedo and Normal )
    2) PBR
    3) Material ...

You can even create cliff way and there are few features that will make this fast and easy ...
    Soon I will share a video to show that ...

RonnyDance likes this.
  7. antoripa

antoripa

Hi .. sorry for my late reply .. yes .. you can do easly . .

GuinUK likes this.
  8. antoripa

antoripa

Hi .. sorry even to you for my late reply ....
    You don't stress me .. no worries ....at the moment I am working to close an alpha release and kick off beta ....I don't want to give any ETA before beta starts .. .as soon as ready I will inform everyone .....but it's not long time ....

evilangel89, Teila and kerrmedia like this.
  9. goat

goat

Cool. Well I can help with Beta too if you need another, if not I look forward to it being in the Asset Store when it is ready. I am using Unity 2017 beta 5

antoripa likes this.
  10. evilangel89

evilangel89

Ahh sorry thought this was already in beta. Well in any case I am looking forward to it. Looks extremely promising and seems like a super approach to building roads by avoiding obstacles. All the best!

antoripa likes this.
  11. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This sounds really awesome. Everything I was looking for :)
    I suppose using Texture will draw a "terrain texture" on the terrain? I am asking because if I use RTP after creating your roads using Albedo and normal, RTP would recognize the texture as a terrain texture and I can add a Heightmap so I can use POM / Tesselation features.

Can not wait to see the "Demo" Video.

Cheers
    Ronny

Last edited: May 18, 2017
    antoripa likes this.
  12. antoripa

antoripa

Ok .. nice to know .. I will get RTP and do few test .. one feature in Sentieri is even to retexture the area above the road directly on the terrain .... and in case of river for the river bed ....so I will check how integrate RTP and plan the work. in the meanwhile if can help Megasplat ( the awesome asset by @jbooth ) integration is already on the way ..

magique and evilangel89 like this.
  13. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

Nice. Right now I am still using RTP but waiting for Adams Terrain Shader in cooperation with NatureManufactor. It will also bring some POM / Tesselation features with it. So would be really great to see support for those assets in the future.
    But now concentrate on the first beta. Really looking forward to any news from you.

antoripa likes this.
  14. Seneral

Seneral

Hm, don't think RTP would need an integration... when you say you assign the texture and normal map to the terrain, you sure use one of the predefined splats setup on the terrain, no?
    In that case, as RTP uses them, it should automatically work and use the splat heightmap for height blending...

antoripa likes this.
  15. antoripa

antoripa

Senteri read read the terrain splatmaps as first step. After you can edit or add more to use for the area related to the road or riverbed. So just to check if need to trigger an update for the custom material used by RTP on the terrain.

16. antoripa

antoripa

No problem to support the new shader by @AdamGoodrich and @NatureManufacture

turboscalpeur and AdamGoodrich like this.
  17. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

It's going to be a ripper - no funny set up - no weird options - 16 textures in 1 pass - fast and beautiful :)

This image is a standard 4 texture Gaia terrain!

Grab 20170513075420 w1920h1029 x528y76z341r252.jpg

18. virror

virror

antoripa likes this.
  19. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Not yet - will start one soon.

antoripa likes this.
  20. antoripa

antoripa

A part of Sentieri is a new water asset. Below a river going down the slope created with Sentieri and its river asset ...

IMG_21052017_143432_0.png

21. Zac-Yeates

Zac-Yeates

Without a doubt I'll be buying this when it is released but in the meantime I've got a few questions.
    Number one, does the river tool generate flow maps and the like?
    Number two, how easy is integration with EasyRoads V3?
    Number three, as a part of my project, I am implementing train tracks, which in real life are limited to very shallow ascents and descents, as well as fairly shallow corners, could I use Sentieri to generate the routes based on these rules or would it be best to manually lay them?

antoripa likes this.
  22. antoripa

antoripa

yes, you will get flow map as well ...and more :)
    Just one click ...but Sentieri has the capability to create road as well ...so at the end user can choise the prefered tool
    Yes . .you can .. and Sentieri has even the capability to extride a mesh usign the path . so that is your scenario with train rails ...

one_one, tapawafo and GuinUK like this.
  23. AlwaysBaroque

AlwaysBaroque

Awesome, waiting for this and terrafirma for my next project, Have time to kill if require another beta tester.

antoripa likes this.
  24. virror

virror

Any approximate eta for this? : D

antoripa likes this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

Few weeks ...

tapawafo and Whippets like this.
  26. antoripa

antoripa

Immagine.png Hello .. quick update .. I have added the water surface generator ... free form mesh creation .
    you can use to create small water surface like the below . .or large lakes ....
    Btw .. Sentieri has its water shader .....I appreciate your feedback

upload_2017-6-8_22-29-33.png

27. virror

virror

Looks very nice!
    Edit: Though i still think you should get this out, and add features as updates instead, seems like its suffering from a sever form of "feature creep" ; )
    Looking forward to it.

antoripa and one_one like this.
  28. Seneral

Seneral

Looking great! Fearing @virror could be right though:D
    Will we have the option to remove grass in that region?
    And can we make use of other water shaders like Aquas?

antoripa likes this.
  29. one_one

one_one

Agreed. It's not only about delaying releases but also that with many assets, the core application could benefit from some more polishing rather than new features. It's understandable, polish isn't nearly as fun as adding in cool new functionality. But polish makes the difference between decent and great assets. And from what I've seen so far, I'd like this asset to be the latter.

antoripa likes this.
  30. antoripa

antoripa

Yes -- you can remove grass and trees in that region .. and even restore :) ..

Teila and GuinUK like this.
  31. GuinUK

GuinUK

Looks excellent that pal. Really enjoying watching the advancements

antoripa and Teila like this.
  32. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Agree about polish. The downside of this is that it takes time. The upside is a better product, less poor reviews and less support requests.

Whippets, antoripa and one_one like this.
  33. antoripa

antoripa

Working on demo Scene for river in Sentieri.
    Few water shaders for desktop and mobile are included in Sentieri . .so no additional assets are required for water ..and no pain with integration ...

upload_2017-6-10_11-5-41.png

BackwoodsGaming and kerrmedia like this.
  34. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri .....

upload_2017-6-10_11-21-57.png

35. Teila

Teila

But...will it still work with other shaders, like Aquas? :)

antoripa likes this.
  36. antoripa

antoripa

Ideally yes .. but most of other shaders designed to work with flat planes ...

37. Teila

Teila

Can we see some river water that is more brownish or bluish rather than bright green? Hard to tell if this would be a good replacement. :)

38. TorOle

TorOle

Looks really good :) I guess water is a mix of transparent texture with a bit of color to it, yes? If so, maybe a slider or color picker to chose what kind of water color (it's transparent so it will only be subtle) would be nice? Then it would only be a matter of changing the color if you are trying to make artic / river / ocean / amazon water :)

Teila likes this.
  39. antoripa

antoripa

upload_2017-6-11_21-23-27.png

TorOle and Seneral like this.
  40. Teila

Teila

Color looks good. But I am confused by the above graphic. It looks like the river is on top of the terrain rather than in a channel.

BackwoodsGaming and antoripa like this.
  41. Seneral

Seneral

Looks to me like that is the default setting and the toolbar on the top (landscape/etc.) has settings to adapt the terrain. Just a guess though:)
    @antoripa Looks good already:) Also seeing the 'Water Tool' dropdown, do 3rd party water shaders need extra integration? Or can we just put a random material on the water plane?
    Also, UI in general looks quite nice, good job:)

Teila and antoripa like this.
  42. antoripa

antoripa

Yes .. that's correct ...there are setting to adapt automatically the terrain ..and river will be in a channel as @Teila expected

43. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Fantastic work so far!

I actually really love the MegaSplat stream system/shader, so it would be lovely to see these well-integrated and get a similar style directional current animation, variable water refraction based on depth, etc. I'm always nervous about using multiple tools for similar systems- MegaSplat already works amazingly well for shader-based dynamic streams/creeks, but not so much for deeper rivers where real geometry and terrain manipulation is needed. That's where I'm really looking forward to seeing this shine, so long as it doesn't clash too much with the existing MegaSplat water styling.

The biggest problem is with waterfalls though, which neither of your tools actually cover yet, but could be in the wheelhouse of either of you, or both. A friend of mine talked to Jason earlier today (yesterday?) and asked about waterfalls on my behalf, and it seems like he might be willing to handle a waterfall shader option as an integration between MegaSplat and Sentieri, if you don't get around to something like that first.

Either way, I'm really excited to get my hands on this and try it out. Count me in for the beta testing, for sure- I have a lot of terrain-related testing to do in the next two months regardless, so testing this at the same time would be no extra difficulty at all, and I would love to be able to map out my rivers with a spline system instead of having to stamp them all in with Gaia.

Cheers!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
    one_one and antoripa like this.
  44. umauj

umauj

Looks really intersting! Well done!
    When do you plan to release this?

antoripa likes this.
  45. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys ...
    really ready in a short time ....
    below a screeshot from the new UI .. in Landscape Tab you will set all you need to "wrap" a procedural path in your landscape ...and not only road ...:)

upload_2017-6-19_9-9-13.png

Last edited: Jun 19, 2017
  46. antoripa

antoripa

47. antoripa

antoripa

48. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

Nice! Are the Remove Grass and Tree settings just like an on/off switch, or does it have the same kind of blending curve option (gradient) that the whole path does? Does it have independent noise filtering as well, to leave patches behind? It would be really fantastic if we can just use the Sentieri system on a wide swathe to thin out trees and grass along the path without getting rid of them completely- less of a beaten trail (though those are awesome) and more like a natural thinning. Can we use a wrapped path for landscape in order to create a clearing in the trees, and if so, would the blend curve work for that to make it thin out over distance inward, instead of a sharp line along the edges?

Sorry, lots of questions because I'm so excited for this product. I can't wait to try it out myself!

antoripa likes this.
  49. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys .. I would invite to take a look to this new thread

https://forum.unity3d.com/threads/wip-vegetation-studio.479244/#post-3119820

It is a new vegation system that has amazing features and incredible perfomance. It works with unity terrain and all vegation asset

Sentieri will integrate that asset in the workflow ( if you have both assets ) , so with both you will have a killer combination for your landscape ...

50. AlwaysBaroque

AlwaysBaroque

Sentieri+CTS+Terrafirma+Vegetation-Studio sounds like one hell of a combination.