Search Unity

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. virror

virror

I guess your not forced to add everything at once either in the first release. Sometimes its better to hold some features, get the product out and then add them as updates instead.

Lakes looks great so far, a very good addition imo : )

2. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Actually I tend to concur with this. Few better things. A roadmap and less stress on you to deliver.

3. antoripa

antoripa

That^s a valid option. Thanks

4. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I can't express how hard it is for me to find that step away point, but Tim from Ootii once said something to me that still resonates to this day "It's better to put something out at 90%, than to never put it out trying to reach 100%".

That really helped me with AI Warrior, were I now pick say 4 features in my list, work on them(and only them) get them polished and tested and release, then start again(it's hard to create a self imposed tunnel vision, when designing systems, as we tend to focus on the spectrum of how all the systems will work in unison.).

Arkade, BackwoodsGaming and antoripa like this.
  5. virror

virror

Yeah, its hard. But i also think its a really good learning experience : )

antoripa and kurotatsu like this.
  6. antoripa

antoripa

In the title for this thread I wrote "Terrain Procerual Routes Creator for Roads, Rivers and more" ...
    That's just a small example of "more" .... City wall with entrances spawned aroud
    I hope you enjoy the below shots
    upload_2017-2-18_18-26-47.png

upload_2017-2-18_18-23-43.png

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
  7. Knightmore

Knightmore

Yeah horse racing tracks :p

antoripa likes this.
  8. one_one

one_one

Nice! Are the meshes actually deformed or simply repeated along the path?

antoripa likes this.
  9. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks ...Mesh are simply repeated along the path so far...;)

10. one_one

one_one

Ah, alright. Looks to be pretty useful for stockades. Any plans to make wall placement work extrusion-based, too? Dynamic and smart placement during run-time with extruded walls (and the possibility to have gates and towers) would be really amazing.

antoripa likes this.
  11. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks.
    I am evaluting to add further features to extrude meshes along the spline. But in first releases I am going to be focus on more common features -

one_one likes this.
  12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

When I was looking at the picture of this tool I see a license activation button. It appears on the same line as Help | License Activation | Website | About. Is this license activation for your beta testing team?

antoripa likes this.
  13. antoripa

antoripa

Hi all,
    nice point. That toolbar was just a test looking for the best layout. I write random stuff in the button caption.
    So please do not consider that.

kurotatsu likes this.
  14. jwilliamsen

jwilliamsen

So, I may have missed it, but will there be a tool for simple footpaths as well? i.e. would I be able to create a spline path and just flatten that path over rolling hills - maybe dig down in one area and raise it above the local terrain in another - or skirt along a mountainside? Surprisingly, there is no tool out there (that I've found) that can do a simple footpath - seems everything wants to generate meshes ... and yet doing a simple curved ramp footpath is almost impossible with Unity Terrain ...

Anyway, looking forward to the release :)

kurotatsu, antoripa and Teila like this.
  15. antoripa

antoripa

Yes.. You can simply create a spline path and flat terrein below changing the terrain texture as well.

AlwaysBaroque and Arkade like this.
  16. khos

khos

Fantastic work, hope we can get to try the beta or buy soon, I'm looking for this type of plugin for so many different uses!

antoripa likes this.
  17. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

antoripa likes this.
  18. antoripa

antoripa

19. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Road Architect was one of the first unity assets I purchased. One of the main things I liked was ton of side objects (road signs) that were available with it. I also requested support for roads and signs that you would normally only find at an airport and runway/taxiway generation too. The developer was looking into adding support for that at one time.

I was always hoping for the option for run-time generation of roads with that tool. But your tool will solve that issue. :)

In addition to racing track Gaia stamps it would be cool to have Airport stamps (just the roads/taxiways/runways part) too. I like adding your long requested feature list. :D

20. TorOle

TorOle

What's the status? And more info about the splatmap support togheter with Gaia? :)

antoripa likes this.
  21. antoripa

antoripa

Hello.
    thanks for asking. I am polishing the code and finalizing the UI.
    My plan is kick oft beta session as soon as possibile....I consider beta test really important as feedback comes from expert users and it will help to release a robust and usefull asset.

22. khos

khos

Awesome, hope to you can release it soon.

antoripa likes this.
  23. antoripa

antoripa

Hello
    a quick screenshot of a work in progress with Sentieri ...Terrain is 2.5Km X 2.5Km .. it's from Mexico .. Leon area ... track is for rally car ...lenght is around 5Km ...it's a real track .. created from satellite images ... that comes from a WIP for a new game that will be on Steam in next few weeks ..
    screens.png

24. TorOle

TorOle

Looks great and thanks for info :)

antoripa likes this.
  25. khos

khos

Cool, looks nice, may I ask what your game is, could you share a link?

antoripa likes this.
  26. antoripa

antoripa

I will do as soon as game is live in the next few weeks ...

davaguco and khos like this.
  27. Zac-Yeates

Zac-Yeates

Can this tool used be used to make rivers that will always flow downhill, whilst still conforming to the terrain and natural looking?

antoripa likes this.
  28. antoripa

antoripa

Of course ...that's for a realistic river ...and even the edges will be natural and always the same profile like in a road

Teila likes this.
  29. antoripa

antoripa

30. TorOle

TorOle

Nice, so I take it will work togheter with Gaia and then update the clutter map to fit the road? So now both the textures blend and levels the road but also the vegetation? Great stuff :)

31. antoripa

antoripa

working on optimitazion for offroad terrain trying to give more realism .. the below does not use any shader to resolve z-fighting issue and give a realistic shape to the road

upload_2017-3-27_11-11-36.png

32. antoripa

antoripa

33. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Looks great

antoripa likes this.
  34. TorOle

TorOle

Looks good :) One thing do, in the picture about the road intersecting the mountain - at the edge the. Is it the road part that does the blend our outside of road? If it is the road path the spike is a bit of a problem as it would cause mayhem on a race track, but if it's the outside terrain that "blends" or smooths then it is ok :)

antoripa likes this.
  35. antoripa

antoripa

If you are pointing the left top side edge of the mesh, I put that there to show how it can wrap the terrain following the shape

36. TorOle

TorOle

Thanks for reply :) If you see the picture, the area highlights; Is that part of the road or the terrain? What I mean, if it's the road, shouldn't that blend happend one polygon to the left and not on the road? If the road get's uneven it is a bit of a problem.

antoripa likes this.
  37. antoripa

antoripa

Yes .. I did that .. it won't happen .. .
    I shifted the mesh to left side to see how follow terrain shape ..if you see other points and even other picture there is not that .... anyway thank you to point that .. I agree with you :)

38. khos

khos

Please release it now :)

Stephen_O and antoripa like this.
  39. antoripa

antoripa

we are really close to the release ...it's gonna be in April ...

40. antoripa

antoripa

Tying to push quality with easy workflow ..

upload_2017-4-2_23-50-39.png

Steve-Tack, tapawafo and Teila like this.
  41. antoripa

antoripa

I know that blending on the tread marks looking too straight (no blending) so it's a bit unnatural. But I like this view.

upload_2017-4-3_0-1-33.png

42. IO-Fox

IO-Fox

Looks promising. Keep up the outstanding work!

antoripa likes this.
  43. antoripa

antoripa

Hello everyone..
    I am really focused on close beta package working 12 hours per day .. but it's so exciting and I look forward to releaseing ..but I am not updating the trello project ...I apologize for that ...
    I prefer to share here with all progress ...
    Adding multi tile terrain support ...I am trying to automize that in case you add new terrain or change any setting related to the lanscape .. so I am going to introduce an automatica manager for "Sentieri Landscale" that will sync all the information reducing to the minimum any need for manual operation to dynamically handle multi tile terrain,,

upload_2017-4-7_9-15-1.png

44. khos

khos

Cool!

Teila and antoripa like this.
  45. antoripa

antoripa

Trying to push perfomance up .....
    2.5Km x 2.5Km .. just fix 2 points ..see a purple dotted line, keep your eyes on that.. .and let's rock ...

Last edited: Apr 9, 2017
    BackwoodsGaming, tapawafo and Hormic like this.
  46. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

To anyone watching the video, I'd recommend watching full-screen. I couldn't tell what was going on in the embedded video, since the purple line is hard to see. Seeing the purple line (route) change instantly is pretty impressive!

antoripa likes this.
  47. antoripa

antoripa

Lake and rivers network ....welcome to Sentieri World ...
    upload_2017-4-13_10-19-7.png

48. SyGem

SyGem

That looks lovely! Do you have any screenshots or video showing how roads join together? Your roads look great, but I haven't seen any junctions yet. How would this handle a junction with 4 or 5 roads, all at different angles?

antoripa likes this.
  49. TorOle

TorOle

Looks very good! :) Remember to have some tutorial videos ready at launch for us retards on how to use the tool(s) ;)

Arkade and antoripa like this.
  50. Arkade

Arkade

Hi Antonio
    Still looking great! If you're still taking applicants, please add me to your beta list! I was thinking about this asset while mountain biking earlier -- yeah, you know where I was going ;-)
    Is Terrain Composer 2 integration still a thing? I assume if not, Sentieri would be able to path/trail/etc on the output from TC2? (Assuming it's not changing dynamically!)
    Thanks and keep up the good work!

antoripa likes this.