Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks .. most part of your wished are already implemented .. and there is even a new concept ... that I will reserve for a surprise

2. antoripa

antoripa

Adding API for advanced user and real time routing with track generation ....
    You will have an powerfull API class : Extruder ....

Cattura.PNG

Stephen_O likes this.
  3. antoripa

antoripa

Since I started SENTIERI I have been thinking how make all simple for basic and advance users, but keeping unlimited capability to generate any kind of route on Unity Terrain and Meshed Terrain. Something different but stable and with a flat and short learning curve. I am ambitious.

So, guys .. .just closed successfull first round of test on the new GUI and I am very glad and excited to announce that the first draft of that GUI is done. Soon I will share first screenshots with all the features created so far.

4. TorOle

TorOle

Nice! So we are in route for a beta release around the fall of January? :)

antoripa likes this.
  5. antoripa

antoripa

During my test, I need to create a moltitude of tracks as soon as possibile.
    So, I wrote a small component to create random tracks for racing car ....
    Just click one button .. and something magic is going to happen ...from edit and in playmode.
    Tomorrow I start testing country roads and medieval roads ....

upload_2017-1-25_23-53-39.png upload_2017-1-25_23-54-55.png upload_2017-1-25_23-55-30.png upload_2017-1-26_0-3-53.png

kurotatsu, Hormic, Stephen_O and 8 others like this.
  6. tapawafo

tapawafo

Wow! Amazing work.

antoripa likes this.
  7. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This is great work you are doing on this tool. Looking forward to the release.

Actually it would be nice to have race track stamps for use with Gaia too. Basically something like Backwoods Gaming has those Gaia stamp packs.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    antoripa likes this.
  8. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    that's a good idea. I will ask @AdamGoodrich to support and help on that ...i really like that

kurotatsu likes this.
  9. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Sounds cool :)

derkoi and antoripa like this.
  10. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys .. I am close to get beta released...Starting to include demo scene.
    First will be car race ..procedural car race. :)
    You can create your procedurla track race ( lenght in this case is 2365 meters ) from scratch in no more than 5 seconds on a 2048x2048 terrain.. just with one click .....

upload_2017-2-5_10-27-28.png

upload_2017-2-5_10-29-46.png

Other scenario I am thinking are :

Country Road,
    River,
    Mountain Road,
    Medieval Road

Please feel free to share your suggestion or what you would like to achieve ...

radimoto, kurotatsu, mons00n and 2 others like this.
  11. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks .. I will send you a PM about that ...

12. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

What is minimum Unity version that will be required for your asset? Are you targeting Unity 5.5.x and above?

antoripa likes this.
  13. TorOle

TorOle

Nice :)
    Ps: How this work in combination with Gaia splatmaps? Is it possible that you could add the roads / blends as new colors and then export the whole splatmap? Like red / green / blue / black is reserved for Gaia, then 2-3 differnent colors for the road? The colors are not important as they can be altered with image editing programs and such later.

Great progress!

PS: As a poor student, please don't do much more than 20 bucks for this thing, please? :p

antoripa likes this.
  14. antoripa

antoripa

100% working with unity 5.4.x and above. During the beta I will try even with older version, at least the one still supported by Unity team.

15. antoripa

antoripa

Next week I will start to check what kind of integration I can setup with GAIA. I know that @AdamGoodrich is working ion GAIA 2.0 , so I will check with him what can be the best way ...I will publish a new video for Thursday ...

Btw .. I have no idea about what can be target price. I have already written that my main goal is to delivery a new approach to create AAA landscape giving my small contribute for path, river and lake ...I cannot add more ...:)

kurotatsu, tapawafo and AdamGoodrich like this.
  16. Knightmore

Knightmore

Yeah I would focus on GAIA 2.0 as it will have multi tile terrain and it would be good to have some problems that might occure sorted out straight away with the added integration.

My main usage will be medieval roads and rivers, so I can't wait for that footage. Together with RTP mesh blending this should give some awesome results.

EDIT:
    Btw. have you tried out to get some good results with crossroads? Not just + shaped but with some angle in it?

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    kurotatsu, Teila and antoripa like this.
  17. virror

virror

Yay, looking forward to this one : D

antoripa likes this.
  18. Teila

Teila

Looks great! I love the look of that road. :)

antoripa likes this.
  19. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I really love what I'm seeing man, can't wait to try it out, this will be a must have I think.

antoripa likes this.
  20. virror

virror

I will be happy to help in case you need help with testing this with streaming worlds : )

antoripa and Teila like this.
  21. antoripa

antoripa

Yes ... Need to test integration with World Streamer by @NatureManufacture. I count on your support for beta testing ..

22. derkoi

derkoi

Looking good!

Would be great if we could create random rivers and roads/paths in terrain built with MapMagic. :D

antoripa likes this.
  23. NatureManufacture

NatureManufacture

You always welcome to ask an question:) best way probably by skype. I have small armagedon in home atm 2nd child born, 1st is sick at the same time... what else.... Anyway I will do my best if you will have any problems.

AdamGoodrich, kurotatsu and antoripa like this.
  24. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I feel your pain, brother, a single dad here.lol

NatureManufacture and antoripa like this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

eheeheh .. we are all in the same boat ... ;)

NatureManufacture and kurotatsu like this.
  26. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Yep Unity is rough on relationships.lol;)

What I'd give for a woman that could program in C#, and had a desire for game design.

MD_Reptile, Teila, Hormic and 2 others like this.
  27. antoripa

antoripa

eehehehe..

NatureManufacture and kurotatsu like this.
  28. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Any thoughts to including NavMesh generation as part of the race track creation? That might be something easier only in a Unity 5.6 or later but that would be useful also.

antoripa likes this.
  29. antoripa

antoripa

Yes, I have already explored that option. As soon as Unity will release officially the API, Sentieri will have that opion

kurotatsu likes this.
  30. antoripa

antoripa

Hello,
    quick update. I added a new feature that allow you to create preset for your setting including all the setting for the spawner along the road .. ( I will show more in another video ) You can store in your project and you can even export creating a standard unity package with all the depedencies. So I have already wrote that first release will be focused on medieval/country road and asphalt road. So I am gonna to show you a short example of the new preset feaure.
    Thank you to @TurnTheGameOn for his amazing "IK Driver" asset ( even a nice car controller is included ). In the video you see how car , camera and UI are "spawned" loaded by the preset file ....you will see more on that powerfull component

You can do the same even on procedural creation track from edit and using API in playmode.

Enjoy the short video below ...

Btw ... alpha is going to start on Friday ....

31. antoripa

antoripa

Medieval landscape ...the moat around of the castle created usng SENTIERI ..
    and just click to put the markers, select river option, click adjust terrain .....and ...
    ..that's all folks ..

upload_2017-2-16_23-19-30.png
    Cattura.PNG

River is a single shaped mesh ... it's based on AQUA ..if you don't have AQUA Asset no worries ...Sentieri use standard water asset by default ....

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 16, 2017
  32. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I don't suppose that creates an AQUAS river flow map too? That would be SICK.

33. Knightmore

Knightmore

Okay this is going to be my next instant buy! Thanks for the river showcase :eek:

kurotatsu, antoripa and Teila like this.
  34. Teila

Teila

I think you have to do that yourself. It isn't even automatic in Aquas.

35. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

The difference is that with a custom-made tool like SENTIERI, the spline data is right there. That data *could* in theory be used to generate a simple flow map that just followed the curve you already defined. It's not a feature I would expect necessarily, but it's jut something I wanted to put out there as something to chew on.

dogmachris and kurotatsu like this.
  36. antoripa

antoripa

In case of water path, Sentieri create a shaped mesh with UV setting that allow AQUAS material flow along the mesh.
    You can have a river that rises from a mountain and goes down to a valley. It is not a plane, but a mesh that transport the water flow. I will create a video on that during next weekend.
    Btw...what about lakes? Do you think that it is usefull feature?

kurotatsu, Teila and Knightmore like this.
  37. Knightmore

Knightmore

Well I need rivers, lakes and some nicely shaped trails (typical medieval styles). So yeah lakes would be awesome too.

Btw, maybe a bit OT but... could this also be a way to create waterfalls?

antoripa and kurotatsu like this.
  38. Teila

Teila

Yes, please! :)

Whippets, antoripa and kurotatsu like this.
  39. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I wish instead of likes, we could give stars.;)

4 words. . . . . . . HELL TO THE YEAH!!!

antoripa likes this.
  40. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

@antoripa

What unity third party assets are planning to integrate with?

antoripa likes this.
  41. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I believe a page or so back, an example pic of Sentieri and Gaia was posted.

AdamGoodrich and antoripa like this.
  42. antoripa

antoripa

I have already created integration with AQUAS and I am going to explore options for GAIA.Thogere is even the capability to import a bunch of points giving the capability to migrate to Sentieri from other system.
    Anyway I am open to every option. So, please feel free to suggest.

43. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

Gaia integration for sure.++1

antoripa likes this.
  44. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I will have to keep my list short. :D

This the type of work flow I am thinking about ...

The tool launches and asks what Racing game asset you want to use (e.g. iRDS, Racing Game Starter Kit, Racing Game Template, etc.). Then the tool asks if you want terrain created. If you say yes then the tool asks if you want to use one of the preexisting Gaia racing track stamps and if so creates it and you are done. If you want to create your own terrain then Gaia is launched and you create your terrain. Then it asks you to create your race track and optionally navmesh creation (e.g. from Unity 5.6) and optionally integrate with EasyRoads3D api to pull in some additional features during generation.

antoripa likes this.
  45. antoripa

antoripa

Yep ... that's nice .....we can summarize with a smart Wizard ....I like that ...and put on my backlog.--

kurotatsu likes this.
  46. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Yes. I did see that. I just keep thinking that Gaia integration just happens automatically these days. :)

kurotatsu likes this.
  47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Oh wow, even better. I can see that being a hugely popular feature.

48. antoripa

antoripa

Small lake ... just a proof of concept .. starting to transform in a component

upload_2017-2-17_17-52-34.png

49. antoripa

antoripa

You can use on every terrain, but with GAIA I would have a real integration with the capability to use GAIA Session Manager or other similar mechanism .. I will check further with @AdamGoodrich to understand the best options. I even consider that Adam, he has written on his post, is working on Gaia 2.0 .. so waiting so see the new features to get a full scenario ..

kurotatsu likes this.
  50. antoripa

antoripa

Hello everybody ...
    I would apologize for the delay to release Sentieri. Working on the asset and gathering your feedback I added more features and I had many time to push release out. Now Sentiri is an sophisticate tool to add realistic path to your terrain like roads, rivers, but even elements like lakes and others; and all thinking to different kind of landscape like asphalt road o country or medieval ...a lot of new features that hopefull will help "our" activities improving workflow.
    At the same time is easy to use with an UIX with different level of details according to the skill of user ( 3 levels so far )
    Today I put a stop point and have defined what is gonna be in the first Assest Store release.And I can write down that you will get a lot of features
    Plan is to push on Asset Store not late than end of April as I would like to see users already working with Sentieri before Unite Europe 2017 that it is at the end of next June ( I will be there for all 3 days ). I am even working on a lot of collateral activites that from my 20 years professional experience in IT world are crucial to give the best support and improve the product to fit more and more users needs. Alpha testing has started and it's going to move up to beta in a couple of weeks.
    Beta test needs 4 or 5 weeks and it should start according aplha stage results no late 12nd March 2017.
    Milestone date cannot be pushed out becuase crucial hit the end of April milestone for Asset Store sending
    One week before beta I will get in touch with all users would like to join that stage to shhare my plan for testing and check their avaibility fo those weeks.
    Thanks a lot for your support and posts, source of motivation to go ahead with this challenge ...

Stephen_O, lezan_, Hormic and 4 others like this.