Search Unity

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. antoripa

antoripa

No prob .. I will create a scene and share that ...

2. antoripa

antoripa

Hi everybody,
    I have created a DIscord channel and I hope you can join me there
    My goal is to give my small contribute, coming from my 20 years professional experience in IT and 40 years in "gaming passion", to Unity world. To do that stay in touch with community is really crucial.

https://discord.gg/ct6hDDv

Your feedback is really appreciated to enhance the tool with the most friendly feature and the best realism.
    Cheers,

3. davide445

davide445

Hi @antoripa just one question, I'm not using Gaia yet TerrainComposer2, will be possible to use your asset anyway?
    About Discord it's not working on mine BlackBerry smartphone so I hope we can maintain the discussion here, where I follow all the other projects I'm interested with.

antoripa likes this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

Sure .. you can use with watherver tool what works with Unity terrain and mesh terrain ( that maybe by second release )
    If you have any specific tool, please let me know. I will include that in my test plan. Thanks
    ..btw ... discussion will be active on both and I will keep this updated ....

5. antoripa

antoripa

"Sentieri" is more than a road builder ....you can create automatically your route between two points in your terrain and create all the "neighborhood" ... Sentieri created rocks on the road and the wall rock on the side, created the conifer tree ( from speedtree conifer package ) and the "road" ... Before run Sentieri I created the terrain with GAIA running all the spawners ...Sentieri creating its track, will remove all the unecessary items on the route ....how long is gonna take ? That road is 7Km lenght and I created in 1 minutes .....
    Cheers ...

Immagine.jpg

bgrz, kurotatsu, Stephen_O and 3 others like this.
  6. TorOle

TorOle

Good stuff! I might not do the Discord thing - not because I do not want to, but limited time and so on, so prefering to just be updated here :) Alternatively, you have Facebook work page or whatever? Would be easier to push out updates to us followers there. For now I have bookmarked this topic and checks it every now and then :)

kurotatsu and antoripa like this.
  7. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks ... I will keep this and discord aligned

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  8. antoripa

antoripa

9. antoripa

antoripa

Guys I hope you are doing well.
    I have got a bad flu, so I have taken a break until next Monday.
    Anyway beta version is an good shape and before the flu I had just started to work on UI and documentation.
    As soon I feel better, I will share the log for beta and update the Trello board.

kurotatsu and TorOle like this.
  10. TorOle

TorOle

Get well :)
    Meanwhile, to get your head on something else - what is your background? I'm soon 30 and study IT (Bachelor) and just curious to know what ways people have taken. Atm, I am more into creating stuff with 3ds max / unity and so on than on the code aspect of it, alltho I learn mostly code on school (goddamn Java lol).

kurotatsu likes this.
  11. Twoonebe

Twoonebe

I am intressting how it is possible to create path or roads on the terrain for RPGs or Fantasy games and how can i create great looking rivers on my heightmap terrain ?

Any videos or Picture ? not the tutorial video

frankslater, antoripa and kurotatsu like this.
  12. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I know right, this project is exactly what's needed, and will easily become a standard for most workflows, especially when using GAIA.

So hopefully Monday, when antoripa is feeling better we can see some more progress.

Get well buddy.;)

antoripa likes this.
  13. antoripa

antoripa

Next video is about rivers ....

Thanks guy ....

14. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys,
    I am back :) ... it's a progressive start but I am full time on Sentieri.
    In the morning I have reiviewd all the features related to river creation and I am happy about the result.
    I am going to integrate the main water assets
    I have already integrated the unity defatult water assets and AQUAS.
    I hope those two are fine. Please feel free to suggest any other tool you use in your envirment workflow for river and lake. Thanks¨

Cheers,

kurotatsu likes this.
  15. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm currently using Calm Water, and Playway water.

16. antoripa

antoripa

That's from dev enviroment .. so it's really as is .....
    AQUAS in integrated on river procedural shaped mesh .....

upload_2017-1-9_23-28-52.png

Teila and kurotatsu like this.
  17. virror

virror

Nice!
    This asset will require EasyRoads, right?
    I guess thats the river shader version of aquas?

antoripa likes this.
  18. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    asset does not require easy road. It work without additional asset. For water you can use the default unity asset or AQUAS. System automatically detect what is installed and propone you the option. You do not have to setting anything.
    I have in my plan even integration with Calm River ,.. going to get in touch with the developer to check requirements out ....

kurotatsu likes this.
  19. virror

virror

Ahh, ok. What is the planned release date and price?

antoripa likes this.
  20. antoripa

antoripa

I am going to release a beta version ...
    I do not know about price ,.. from my point of view pay for an asset is more give support to the developer ....that's a community, not a market ...
    I will think about after the beta stage ..

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
  21. antoripa

antoripa

Hello,
    I am glad to share with you the river created with SENTIERI. There are NO post processing effect or any light sky. It's just as is ...
    Your feedback in really appreciated.

RIVERBED.jpg

RIVERBED2.jpg

Stephen_O, kurotatsu and TorOle like this.
  22. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

It looks damn good I like the transition, I'm burning to use some of my bridges from 3D forge, or the Big Asian environment packs when I see a scene like that.lol

Well done.

I also like the idea of spawning rocks and boulders in it like in the road scene above.

antoripa likes this.
  23. virror

virror

Is it possible to split up the road/river meshes somehow? Im using tiled terrain and a streaming system, so would be really useful to split up the meshes at certain points, like every worldPos 512 or similar, that way i can add the "pieces" of the roads/river meshes to the streaming system and make them appear together with the terrain.

antoripa likes this.
  24. antoripa

antoripa

Hi,
    that's a nice question.
    what is the streaming system ? I will do few test, but ideally answer is yes just need to check what kind of integration.

25. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks ....

26. Teila

Teila

Virror, I wonder if would be easier just to make your roads fit the tiles. I would imagine it might be difficult to split a mesh at some number that is input. I could be wrong.

antoripa likes this.
  27. antoripa

antoripa

Country road

contry_road.jpg contry_road1.jpg

Knightmore and Teila like this.
  28. Mark_T

Mark_T

This looks really good. It looks like a great option to build walking paths in the woods. Does it removes the trees from the terrain?
    I suppose that if used on a Unity terrain it adds height (or lowering the height in case of a river)? Or it is building additional geometry with alpha based texture blending?
    Looks really promising :)

antoripa likes this.
  29. antoripa

antoripa

Thank you for your feedback.
    Yes, system remove tree and grass trought the route. But those are options that you can enable\disable according to your needs in the specific case.
    That's right. SENTIERI adds/remove height. But also flat the terrain. I am using a noise generator that will add a bit of randomness to produce more realistic route. I will include few presets for the different route like highway, country, river, medieval, etc ... There is a feature that allow to add more pre-set and even create a pckage that you can export and import to other project.
    As I have already write I think that Unity Asset Store is a community, not a traditional marketplace. Of course there will be a price for the asset, but that's to support further development. I look forward to create .hopefull with the collaboration from other asset developers and users, a standard that allow users to share some "bullet" setting to easily and quiclky create AAA terrain. That's my spirit ...

Stephen_O likes this.
  30. Mark_T

Mark_T

Exporting/importing presets into a different project sounds like a really neat idea.
    One more question. I'm interested in mesh terrains with multiple meshes. Would it be possible to add roads in such a case? Would it help to have mesh colliders on the meshes?

antoripa likes this.
  31. antoripa

antoripa

I will shift all the features on mesh terrain as well. But that will be in the second release. SENTIERI take care of colliders where those are needed.

Teila likes this.
  32. Balgam

Balgam

I love it, that's what I need :) I'm looking forward to the beta :)

antoripa likes this.
  33. virror

virror

Its a lot more manual work if i have to make road parts separately, also i think it might be hard to get the ends of them to merge together perfectly that way?

@antoripa Im using the "World Streamer" asset. It splits up the world in several scenes thats loaded/unloaded in the background as the player moves through the world. There will be 256 terrain tiles in our game, so its quite a lot of manual work if we have to try and make the road pieces fit manually.

antoripa likes this.
  34. antoripa

antoripa

Ok.
    I will do few test. I am going to contact the developer, and I will keep you posted

35. virror

virror

Thank you : )

36. Mark_T

Mark_T

I'm sure I'm not the only one interested in your findings. :)

antoripa likes this.
  37. antoripa

antoripa

I am on the top of the list :) I am optmistic at least in Edit Mode .. runtime can be a challange, but let's go ahead step by step consolidading each milestone ..... now is beta release .. all features are up and running .. working on UIX and housekeeping with the code ....

38. antoripa

antoripa

You are welcome ... just get answer by @NatureManufacture . I confirm that tools will work together ....
    I will create an interface for the setting you need for WorldStream . integration will be delivered with first release on Asset Store ....I count on you for testing :)

39. antoripa

antoripa

That's correct not easy to break a mesh.. but we are lucky ... SENTIERI can already handle procedural created mesh as single part or in segments ...
    First release will have integration with WorldStream with a dedicated interface for a quick setting for SENTIERI resources...

Teila likes this.
  40. virror

virror

Thank you, now i have to buy this asset so i can test it for you : p

Teila likes this.
  41. TorOle

TorOle

Just a heads up - I am one of those that like that the road and terrain is one mesh. Makes it easier to edit the terrain / roads in other programs such as 3ds max. Alternative maybe make an option, one where it splits it into two models or one?

One question about the road mesh, is it quoads that is pefectly aligned, or are the road mesh path deformed / following the line? If that's the case it's very easy to split the models apart in program as 3ds max as you can loop select :)

antoripa likes this.
  42. Kaneleka

Kaneleka

I'm in the same boat as others who stream mesh based terrains for various reasons and have been watching this thread with interest waiting for that feature to be supported. -- Would save me a bunch of work not having to do it in other modeling programs.
    Perhaps another possible alternative to splitting those path meshes into segments is doing it by length?

antoripa likes this.
  43. antoripa

antoripa

SENTIERI has many option about how generate the mesh for your route. And there are even option for the collliders.
    But I will be happy to add more if there will be still a gap in the workflow. In the next few days I will start to publish detailed video on the features implemented so far and that are gonna be release soon

pixelsteam likes this.
  44. antoripa

antoripa

Hi guys ....
    that's an example of a feature that you will get in SENTIERI.
    You have an advanced spawner system, but with a smart, cleand and easy UIX that allow with just 3 clicks to do a lot of staff ... example is a left / right fence ....
    As usually, feedback is appreciated ...

upload_2017-1-15_11-33-58.png

45. antoripa

antoripa

wider view ...

upload_2017-1-15_11-39-21.png

46. antoripa

antoripa

47. antoripa

antoripa

48. TorOle

TorOle

Great stuff :)

Btw, when making the roads, are the options to make the surface that is to road plannar? Like, having the same hight all over making it flat? At least for race track / roads it's a pain in the arse sometimes to get the road to be even hehe!

antoripa likes this.
  49. antoripa

antoripa

yes ...you can

50. Mark_T

Mark_T

For the side road spawning I would love to be able to spawn more than 1 item/prefab, with settings like percentage/item, offset. size variation, maybe some masking on certain areas of the map to replace the fence here and there with trees, etc.
    Anyway, looks promising. :)

antoripa likes this.