Search Unity

Assets SENTIERI - [BETA 0.5] - Terrain Procedural Path Creator for Roads, Rivers and more

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by antoripa, Nov 27, 2016.

?

Would you like to see a dymic terrain blend in real time while you are in Edit Mode ?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. antoripa

antoripa

How do you create lakes or any kind of water surface ?
    Sentieri allow you to do with a fast workflow ...

Last edited: Jun 25, 2017
  2. magique

magique

This looks great. I have Megasplat and awaiting Terrafirma and Awesome vegetation so this looks like a winner.

one_one and antoripa like this.
  3. RonnyDance

RonnyDance

This looks really awesome. Would love to see a tutorial / showcase for creating cliff ways.

antoripa likes this.
  4. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri is already integrated with Vegetation Studio ( used in the video ) . Soon Megasplat integration is read ( wip ) and I am already in touch with Terrafirm developer for even that integration ...

5. antoripa

antoripa

Sure .. I will record a video ...nice point . .thanks

one_one likes this.
  6. antoripa

antoripa

7. Seneral

Seneral

@antoripa Looking really good:)

Just watched the creation of terrain in Ghost Recon Wildlands, around 0:35:00 they mention a road network generation system very similar to how Sentieri works. Truly underlines the benefits you get from such a tool:)
    That video also raised some question for me: Does Sentieri try to generate bridges when the alternate path is too long? And can we align multiple sentieri paths with each other (like railways and road)?
    Also, and that might be a bit far-fetched, is a flow-map input viable so that sentieri tries to generate the path in the direction of the strongest flow (obviously used for river generation on flow-maps generated by WorldMachine or an erosion tool)?
    Really stoked about the release:)
    Seneral

antoripa likes this.
  8. Whippets

Whippets

What's the poly count for generated meshes, and can Sentieri cut it's meshes into chunks for LODding and culling?

Also, is there any sort of blending possible to create smoother edges with the terrain textures?

antoripa likes this.
  9. antoripa

antoripa

Yep . .good points ...
    1) Roads is not one single mesh . but it is made by segments .. and you can enable the lod system
    2) Yes .. there is ... that's happen with shaders that you can apply to road material .. and Sentieri has a bunch of shaders specifice for roads ...
    I hope that what expected .. :)

BackwoodsGaming and Whippets like this.
  10. antoripa

antoripa

Wow .. I have never seen the video .. and I would say that I started Sentieri end of november last year ..
    Sentieri is the first asset of a more large suite .. and with other assets you will get done same in the video .. including procedural cities .....

tapawafo and Teila like this.
  11. Seneral

Seneral

Cool, that sounds great! We really need some kind of uniform terrain workflow like in the video. Looking forward to more information about your tool suite:)

I've also thought whether it would be possible to create some kind of framework for all terrain tools for easier integration. Because let's face it, no tool is ever going to be best in every way;)
    It's not unusual to use 5 different tools in one workflow for the best result, but it is a pain to work that way. That video really made it obvious to me, and it's frustrating.
    With a shared base framework you could maybe paint the base terrain (height or biomes), set one terrain tool to generate the heightmap, another to do the erosion and other post-processing like Sentieri to create the roads, then tell another preferred terrain tool to generate splats/objects/mask based on the modified height and maybe other intermediate results (road mask/flow map), and only then assign to the terrain.
    Basically, combining the best of every tool, however you prefer. That would get us kind of where big studios with a dedicated tool are...
    Anyway, just an idea.

Btw you can tell me the answers yet or are these still to decide? :)
    Seneral

12. antoripa

antoripa

Hey guys...
    I am at Unite 2017 to see what is coming in nrxt months.. If someone is there and would talk about Sentieri just ping me with a PM

Last edited: Jun 29, 2017
    blitzvb likes this.
  13. blitzvb

blitzvb

amazing! any ETA?

antoripa likes this.
  14. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I hope you mean Unite 2017 or you are REALLY late. :D

15. antoripa

antoripa

I was late ..:(:( ...

tapawafo likes this.
  16. antoripa

antoripa

Thanks a lot ...Plan is to push the asset to Asset Store in August ..

BackwoodsGaming and blitzvb like this.
  17. magique

magique

I'm going with TC2+Sentieri+MegaSplat+Terrafirma+Vegetation Studio. ;)

18. antoripa

antoripa

Killer combination ..

Alverik likes this.
  19. Mark_T

Mark_T

not yet :)

20. magique

magique

True, but it's currently TC2+MegaSplat+VegetationStudio and already killer. Add the last 2 components and just wow.

antoripa, Seneral and one_one like this.
  21. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Gaia 2 (eventually) + Sentieri + CTS + Vegetation Studio + GeNa is the toolbox I'm hoping to get going with this. Was in love with the road/path creation in the beginning. Super excited about the lake, river, and waterfall potential with the new stuff!!! Keep up the awesome work Antonio!!!

antoripa, DonLoquacious and Whippets like this.
  22. SyGem

SyGem

If you need any more beta testers I'd love to help out. I have a 70km road network on a 8x8km terrain that I'm not completely happy with. Can Sentieri create city-style roads of different widths? I'm currently using CiDy and can create 2-lane, 4-lane or 6-lane roads. What about junctions? Or sidewalks?

antoripa likes this.
  23. DonLoquacious

DonLoquacious

As the one who initiated the waterfall discussion, I'm super-psyched that someone else is here waiting for this functionality too- it means it might not fall into the abyss of lost feature requests. We might end up getting a solution from Jason first (the MegaSplat developer) as an integration with Sentieri, though it's hard to say.

I will say that thus far MegaSplat appears to be really outdoing CTS in terms of both performance and features (simultaneously). Since CTS just came out, hopefully that won't remain the case for long, but Adam has responsibilities with Gaia/GeNa that may prevent him from really going all-out on it, and I'm not sure what Bart's plans are. I'm really happy with my MegaSplat purchase, so if you haven't checked it out yet, I recommend it wholeheartedly.

Other than that, my preferred setup is the same as yours. Gaia 2 (when it's released), GeNa, Vegetation Studio (testing it now), and Sentieri, with SpeedTree trees (love the modeler) and some excellent TurboScalpeur grass. Just beautiful!

24. Whippets

Whippets

There's also Terrafirma to add in to the mix. Not enough info there yet, but it *could* be a total replacement for Unity Terrain. The big question will be; what, of all the other new assets will work with Terrafirma? CTS, MegaSplat, Vegetation Studio, Sentieri, Gaia 2.

As game devs, we're in a great place at the moment, about to redefine what's possible with terrain. Can't wait.

one_one, DonLoquacious and antoripa like this.
  25. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri has the capability to create a library with the setting for your path
    you can switch from one profile to another directly from the UI
    and you can export your setting to use with other projects

upload_2017-7-1_20-52-22.png

26. antoripa

antoripa

27. EternalAmbiguity

EternalAmbiguity

Question.

Could I use this to have an AI "build" a road in real time in a game? Have it set the starting and ending points, then define the path, then "build" from one end to the other, by adding small chunks of 'road" as the NPC does some animation? This while removing natural features like trees which are in the way, and while avoiding immovable things like a river or a house?

Seneral and antoripa like this.
  28. antoripa

antoripa

Ideally yes ..

29. antoripa

antoripa

Hi guys ...
    just coocked up a new video about the procedural generation .... cheers ...

Teila, Alverik, docsavage and 12 others like this.
  30. antoripa

antoripa

31. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

I'm going to die of old age before you release this with the way you keep adding features. :D That's a compliment by the way but really itching to get my hands on this! Keep up the great work!

recon0303, antoripa, Alverik and 3 others like this.
  32. antoripa

antoripa

Hey ... I am back ...and started the last but one stage before first release : alpha test.

33. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

What versions of Unity are your planning on supporting?

antoripa likes this.
  34. antoripa

antoripa

Hello guys ...
    What do you think about my latest features ? .. Tunnels ....
    upload_2017-8-27_0-50-8.png

35. one_one

one_one

Not to sound too discouraging, but at this point I'd prefer a release over new features ;)

PeterB, HEATH3N, tapawafo and 6 others like this.
  36. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

I think tunnels is a great feature! In addition to racing I was thinking it would be great for railroads too. Keep up the good work on this asset.

antoripa likes this.
  37. Hitch42

Hitch42

Looks great. What are the parameters that you can use on it? For instance, could this makes caves with rivers flowing through them?

And I say take all the time you need to make this perfect.

antoripa likes this.
  38. Alverik

Alverik

Wow, looks great! Just how the heck did you manage to do tunnels with the Unity terrain system? Or does it use separate meshes?

antoripa likes this.
  39. virror

virror

Making tunnels is not that hard with the unity terrain, but it requires a custom shader to be able to paint transparency. Not sure if this is 100% unity terrain though.

Alverik and antoripa like this.
  40. Alverik

Alverik

Oh, I get it. Though, well, if you are not a shader programmer, then the "requires a custom shader" is as far as you get, lol.

antoripa likes this.
  41. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri will provide all.

ZoneOfTanks and Alverik like this.
  42. antoripa

antoripa

www.grally.net . a fantastic rally car simulator (@ghiboz ) . .Vegetation Studio . ( @LennartJohansen ) and MicroSplat ( @jbooth ) ..mountain path and lakes created with Sentieri ..
    Vegatation Studio is used for landscape items and MicroSplat ( full stack ) for terrain shader .. AAA quality running at 120 FPS ...

upload_2017-9-9_18-38-38.png

43. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri and Vegetation Studio...what else ?

magique, tapawafo, Whippets and 2 others like this.
  44. Whippets

Whippets

What's the chance of footpaths and cart-tracks with grass up the middle? (purely self-interest as making a faux-medieval game).

antoripa likes this.
  45. BackwoodsGaming

BackwoodsGaming

Pretty sure that is possible. He posted a screenshot prior to August showing Sentieri and Lennart's Vegetation System and the road he had in it was dirt with grass growing between the wheel tracks of the road. It was posted somewhere a couple pages back in this thread I think.

antoripa and Whippets like this.
  46. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

There is a setting. Sentieri makes a VegetationLineMask for the road. That can be configured to add grass to the center like that.

47. antoripa

antoripa

Sentieri has unlimited possibility to shape your road as you can image. And it is really simple.
    Soon I will start short video to introduce every single feature ....

upload_2017-10-1_3-5-11.png

Whippets, tapawafo, magique and 2 others like this.
  48. LennartJohansen

LennartJohansen

Looking good

49. antoripa

antoripa

Developing new features .before beta ...Terrain Blending

No Blend
    upload_2017-10-1_13-21-20.png

Blend On .
    upload_2017-10-1_13-22-32.png

Have a great Sunday ....

jdraper3, tapawafo, Whippets and 3 others like this.
  50. manpower13

manpower13

Looks very cool!