Search Unity

Sensitivity in my MouseLook script.

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by JustYourFriendlyNeighbourhoodSlug, Feb 20, 2021.

1. JustYourFriendlyNeighbourhoodSlug

JustYourFriendlyNeighbourhoodSlug

Code (CSharp):
    1.     public float sensitivity = 50f;
    2.     public float maxYAngle = 80f;
    3.     private Vector2 currentRotation;
    5.     public Transform Player;
    7.     public Vector3 PlayerFacing;
    9.     void Update()
    10.     {
    11.         currentRotation.x += Input.GetAxis("Mouse X") * sensitivity //* Time.deltaTime;
    12.         currentRotation.y -= Input.GetAxis("Mouse Y") * sensitivity //* Time.deltaTime;
    13.         currentRotation.x = Mathf.Repeat(currentRotation.x, 360);
    14.         currentRotation.y = Mathf.Clamp(currentRotation.y, -maxYAngle, maxYAngle);
    15.         Camera.main.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(currentRotation.y, currentRotation.x, 0);
    17.         Player.rotation = Quaternion.Euler(PlayerFacing);
    18.         PlayerFacing = new Vector3(0, Camera.main.transform.localRotation.eulerAngles.y, 0);
    19.         Camera.main.transform.position = new Vector3(Player.position.x, Player.position.y +1, Player.position.z);
    20.     }
    This is the MouseLook script for a game I'm working on (been a while since I have done any unity :/). My question about this is: why does the sensitivity variable not change anything? When I try to run the script the mouse feels much too sensitive, and my first instinct was to add in a sensitivity variable (It's turned up to 50 here for testing reasons) and fine-tune it; however, no matter what I change the variable to, the sensitivity doesn't change. I also looked up example scripts that sometimes used deltaTime but that just made the entire thing super slow. Any help greatly appreciated.

2. Kurt-Dekker

Kurt-Dekker

Whatever value you set and save in your scene or prefab will wipe out the field initializer value you change in the code above.

This is a common source of confusion: the object is created, so at that instant in time it has the value you set in code, but before the object is put into use, if Unity has a saved scene or saved prefab that this is already in, then the value saved is overwritten.

It's best to remove the initialization value above and instead provide it in a Reset function:

Code (csharp):
    1. public float sensitivity;  // don't put initializer here! it can be confusing!
    3. // only runs in the editor when this is added to a GameObject.
    4. // can also be invoked from the upper right corner of the inspector (the hamburger)
    5. void Reset()
    6. {
    7.   sensitivity = 80.0f;
    8. }
    That way it is clear when the value will be changed. Once this script instance is used in a scene or prefab, only change the saved value in the scene or prefab.

OR... if it is just a code-specified value only, make the variable private, not public, and do not decorate it for serialization.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
    aynurin and uotsabchakma like this.
  3. JustYourFriendlyNeighbourhoodSlug

JustYourFriendlyNeighbourhoodSlug

Thank you so much, I set the variable to private and that fixed the whole thing.

Kurt-Dekker likes this.